Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Tullman

Tullman I prefer analog

It’s simply that MD started to take preorders and then decided it was too early for them to take preorders.I have preordered both titles but that doesn’t mean they won’t be cancelled.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  2. Greenmonster2420

Greenmonster2420 Forum Resident

I can assure you it is not rumor. I have BS&T, ELO, and Paul Simon preordered since June of this year

3. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

They have repeatedly told me false information. Last time was when I was looking for the Santana s/t 45 rpm. The rep told me they had no plans to press more. About a month later it was repressed and back in stock.

4. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Gotcha, that makes sense...

5. dkurtis

dkurtis sonofthefather

Every One-Step I have preordered from Music Direct has been 1 to 2 years out. Fragile may be an exception, but it seems to have been moved up.

6. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Maybe because many of us are chomping at the bit for a good ole rock and roll proggy release..... weve gone through S&G, Marv. & Bill Evans and many are waiting for this

varyat likes this.
  7. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I have had the ELO one step preordered for quite a while.

8. dkurtis

dkurtis sonofthefather

For those following the Dire Straits updates within this One-Step thread - all four titles shipped today.

Here is the link to one of the SHMF threads about them:

Dire Straits 45 RPM Vinyl MoFi Releases*

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Tullman, Twinsfan007 and MisterBritt like this.
  9. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I received my One Step Monk yesterday. Perfect in all ways. Played it tonight..and WOW! This is a superb LP with great sonics. I prefer it to the Evans Portraits. One odd thing though, and maybe some of you can comment on this:
    On the tracks that Monk is playing by himself, the recording seems a little strange of his piano...almost as if there are two instruments ( which i know there are not). The instrument seems to float between the speakers, but with the bass keys more to the right..and the whole thing sounds a little 'stretched'. OTOH, when the whole group is playing, all returns to a more normal image with Monk on the right and everybody within their place on the stage...which to my ears sounds a lot better. Minor quibble, but interesting.

10. 5-String

5-String Forum Resident

I don't have the one step but I own the first pressing and this is the way the solo piano was recorded. They were trying, I guess unsuccessfully, to create a stereo image of the piano, by multimiking it and then pan the recordings of the mikes.

MisterBritt, DaveyF and Kyhl like this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not sure what's strange or unsuccessful about that. Completely normal stereo piano recording.

The precise microphone placement will vary based on any number of factors, but some variation of that has been pretty standard for recording piano since the late '60s or so, and Columbia had been doing it since the late '50s with solo piano.

DavidD likes this.
  12. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Interesting, and that explains the sound i was hearing. Not sure why they didn't want to record the piano in one space...essentially a mono image, as to me that would have made a lot more sense. The sound is quite good, particularly when it comes to the upper registers, but the image spread is very unnatural, imho. Luckily, once the band joins in, the sound becomes far more natural when it comes to where the piano is placed on the stage.

@ 5-string, consider getting the One Step, it really is a superb LP if you like Monk's dream.

5-String likes this.
  13. sully12

sully12 Forum Resident

Doesn’t MD own MOFI? Wouldn’t be surprised if MD could do these pre-orders.

14. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Just received the Music Direct catalog. The Blood Sweat and Tears is advertised on the back as a one step. The new ones there (not one step) Johnny Cash I walk the Line, Mahavishnu Orchestra The Inner Mounting Flame, T. Rex

James Bennett likes this.
  15. Greenmonster2420

Greenmonster2420 Forum Resident

Yes they are part of the same company. I preordered mine through MD. MD is no longer taking preorders.

16. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

Inner Mounting Flame is one I would order in a heartbeat.

ti-triodes likes this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman I prefer analog

Speakers Corner has a vinyl release available now.

Adamski777 likes this.
  18. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Hi again guys! Just an update. I recieved the replacement LP1 and......it was a Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas LP1!
    Oooops! They are going to correct it but hey - how hard can it be?

19. soundQman

soundQman Forum Resident

I called MusicDirect a couple of days ago and they said they were not taking pre-orders yet on the BS&T.

20. John D.

John D. Forum Resident

Sounds like their policy has changed to only accepting pre-orders after officially announced?

21. soundQman

soundQman Forum Resident

They let me pre-order Mingus Ah Um and Stevie Ray Vaughan Couldn’t Stand the Weather, both of which were also shown on the back of the new catalog along with BS&T.

John D. likes this.
  22. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Wait a minute here. If I'm reading the above correctly, "Shaft" had his PIJ One Step order shipped to a U.S. address initially And now, you guys berate Mofi for NOT shipping the replacement to Sweden? If the order originally went to Sweden, then by all means Mofi needs to send it to Sweden. But that wasn't the case. To expect the company to ship a replacement to an international address that was not the original address is ludicrous! That's like someone moving after the fact and expecting Mofi to ship replacements around the world on their nickel. C'mon man!

23. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Sure and fair comment, at least in this specific instance.

Just that MoFi, by their own admission don't, won't support overseas orders with correction to their own fault at their cost. Customer has to pay for that "privilege" on top of the already high price point.

24. Sam

Sam Senior Member

That's a fair complaint IF that happens. Mofi should stand by the product and free ship to the original address. If MD didn't honor their product, I would be on the phone asking to speak with a manager at MD. If they can't honor overseas, then don't sell overseas. That's bullsh*t!

FashionBoy likes this.
  25. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Not the International Shipping crap, again...

Get over it already.

Bobsblkwax and Slick Willie like this.