Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm curious with the ERC LP reissues that cost $390 what their QC and defect rate is. Anybody??

Elofan likes this.
  2. Elofan

Elofan Forum Resident

Music Direct was quick to reply even on Saturday! Impressive!
    They confirmed my replacement being shipped as it gets back in stock ! Thumbs up for a great customer service! :)

Dmann201 and Tullman like this.
  3. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

My Mingus came with an embedded debris on disk 1, and disk 2 is very warped. Music Direct will send replacements but, given the current situation, this may take time. I doubt RTI is working at full capacity, if at all, given the shelter in place order in California. I am still healthy, so far, so waiting for replacements is no big deal :cool:

In general, I think RTI quality is slipping. Making me question quality control on the pricey MMJ SRX releases too.

4. John D.

John D. Senior Member

At this premium price level, why can't they do some better quality control? :crazy: I have purchased 5 of these Ultra Disc One Steps, but after reading numerous posts of defective vinyl, I have no desire to purchase any more anytime soon.

giantleech likes this.
  5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Everybody's experience is different, but all of the three (a 4th is still sealed) I have purchased were perfect.
    Some labels a tad off center, but that seems to be the norm for most all releases these days.

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I have every One-Step (from Santana to Mingus) and all my copies are perfect - even to the fact that none of my inner sleeve covers were scratched or worn from rubbing together. I guess I am very lucky??

7. John D.

John D. Senior Member

That's what I'm saying, everyone's experience should not be different. Quality Control is sorely lacking.

8. AnalogJ

So is that your 8th or 9th life? ;)

Elofan likes this.
  9. Sam

Sam Senior Member

What they simply need to do is have an inspector sign off on a card after ensuring that all content has been checked and is A ok. This card is initialed and placed in the box. Any issues and we know who didn't do their job. It's as simple as that. When someone actually puts their name to the inspection, quality will rise. Inform the inspector that all shipping costs to replace defective product that they should have caught will come out of their paycheck. I guarantee defects will drop. At this price point, hand inspection should be mandatory.

10. Slick Willie

As long as these are selling out, doubt that MoFi sees a need to add extra costs to project by hand inspecting.

AtlTrav and Elofan like this.
  11. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

The last two titles "Fragile" and "Ah Um" are sensational,at the same level as Abraxas.
    One Step is a really good series, just a flow: the black box is too delicate,it is impossible not to scratch and dirty it.

FashionBoy likes this.
  12. John D.

John D. Senior Member

You nailed it, this should be a no brainer at this top of the line, super premium vinyl formulation level. :cheers:

13. AnalogJ

I don't think Fragile is anywhere near the level of Abraxas (or Ah Um). You might be the first person to say so here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Fragile is not a perfect sounding recording to begin with, but it does have moments of beauty. It also has its drawbacks. Abraxas is on its own level. As Michael Fremer said about it, it may be the best sounding record he has ever heard.

I'm curious about your equipment profile, which you haven't posted. Would you do so?

PADYBU and Guss2 like this.
  14. Slick Willie

:righton:

Guss2 likes this.
  15. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Now I posted my equipment .
    However my post was on the box too delicate.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    PATB and Echoes Myron like this.
  16. AnalogJ

Very nice system!

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  17. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

What you think about the box,only I find it to easy to ruin ?

18. Sam

Sam Senior Member

We can only judge the final product based on what was captured on the master tape. In other words, I don't think mofi dropped the ball on one project while hitting it out of the park on another. At least not with these One Steps. I truly believe they are giving us the best sounding version of that particular master tape. Of course, some master tapes will sound better than others. But from what I've heard and read, a buyer would be hard pressed to acquire a better sounding pressing of the One Step releases thus far. Some have argued that Fagen and S&G can be bettered by original pressings. In my experience, and from many others I've read, that's not the case. But sure, some are going to sound "better" than others. The key is to ask if it's the best sounding version of THAT title that you've ever heard.

FashionBoy, Tullman and soundQman like this.
  19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree. I am very familiar with Fragile and the One Step betters all others and that doesn't mean other masters suck, either. So far, aside from the QC on pressing and packaging, the actual sound on all of the MFSL one steps has been exemplary. The last several MFSL releases, including Dire Straits, Greatful Dead, Richard Thompson etc. have been pressed extremely well.

FashionBoy likes this.
  20. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I just bought the 45 rpm pressing of Dire Straits self titled lp. Wow! Talk about quiet vinyl, it's almost as quiet as the new One Step vinyl. And the sound is thumbs up all the way. Way better than my U.S. pressing. I can't speak to an original UK, but I'm quite happy.

FashionBoy, Dmann201 and Tullman like this.
  21. AnalogJ

Well yeah. But from the perspective of an absolute meter, Abraxas is in its own league. Fragile is not at the same level in terms of sheer sonic brilliance.

We all get a little fuzzy when Michael Fremer will give a record a 10 for sound that is merely good, but then he'll later explain that it was not an absolute rating, but one given the original recording. Okay, but you can't have it both ways. Are we looking for the One Step releases to be only for the upper echelon records that are both great musical works and also supreme recordings, or are we okay with records that may only be pretty good recordings?

I think of the book and then the movie, "The Perfect Storm", the true story about some deep sea Gloucester fishermen who went out to work in a 'perfect storm', which is actually a storm comprising three different storms that meet in one spot. It's rare and it's spectacular. This one occurred on October 30th, 1990. I lived on the coast of the North Shore of Boston.

And then there's a normal storm.

I have an expectation that MoFi would reserve their $125 per album One Step releases to those 'perfect storms', the confluence of great music and spectacular sound on one album. Anything less and, well, I wish they would have released it in a normal 45rpm manner.

By the way, I'm listening to a spectacular AP reissue of "Tony Bennett At Carnegie Hall." It's up there sonically with the MoFi Ah Um release. It blows away a very good original Columbia 2-eye. And it's $55.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Going by your standards, and I get it, MFSL would have to disqualify just about every classic rock title available. And yes, availability is an issue, as well.

I have the Belefonte at Carnegie and it sounds amazing and for about 46 bucks with a discount.

23. AnalogJ

Well, you kind of proved my point. You don't have to have a $125 release to get spectacular sound. So, in my humble opinion, they should reserve their $125 releases to the spectacular.

If they could get their hands on the Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, or even some of the Rolling Stones catalog, they'd have plenty of titles to choose from.

24. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Incredibly unlikely given licensing costs for the major artists these days.

25. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I'm sure the Mo-Fi accountants notice the amount of returns for defective product and the costs with replacing and shipping them.

audiotom likes this.