Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Fremer, for one. I believe that Roy Halee also commented that the master tape was lost or damaged after the first pressing. So if that's true, Classic records also did not use the original master. I don't have an A1 pressing, I believe it may say A3 or 4. Anyway, on my system, my original pressing comes in 3rd. Classic records (33.3) is 2nd. One Step is 1st.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I already pointed out that Fremer posted Bob Irwin's message regarding the tapes. Specifically, that those for Bookends, Bridge, and Greatest Hits were never lost.

3. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Yes, I saw that later. Should have read through all of the posts. So, the master tape was never lost. Therefore, I would assume that both Classic and MFSL used this tape for their respective releases.

4. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

I preferred the MoFi One Step to the Classic 45. Unfortunately I no longer have the Classic for comparison.

EDIT. I DO still have the Classic 45 set. (It's listed for sale on Discogs but hasn't yet sold.) I will try to do a fresh listening comparison and report back.

5. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

That’s how I rank my copies too.

6. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

LATER. I repeated the BOTW comparison between the MoFi One Step and the Classic 45. This comparison was longer and more careful than the first I did, and I reached the opposite conclusion. I preferred the Classic 45.

Comparing the title track, the difference in mastering was obvious. The One Step has more upper midrange/lower treble energy, giving the impression of more space and detail. By comparison, the image on the Classic seemed small. I couldn't tell which was more accurate.

However, moving on to Cecilia, it soon became apparent that the Classic was really the more detailed. This was especially apparent in the bass, where the bass and drums sounded like real instruments, not indistinct thumps as on the One Step. The One Step had more bass, but not better bass. Listening to The Only Living Boy In New York confirmed this impression. On the One Step, there was again more bass, as well as the more prominent upper midrange/lower treble I noticed on the title track. This gave the track a lush presentation, and a degree of "wow" factor. However, the Classic again had the edge in sheer musical information. The mastering on the Classic was less immediately impressive, but more detailed.

So I now give the edge to the Classic 45. My copy is no longer for sale on Discogs. As many have observed before me, frequenting this forum is expensive!

NorthNY Mark and Gordon Johnson like this.
  7. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I found the same on Fragile, more wow! to the bass, yet less detail than some vintage top tier cuts.

NorthNY Mark and RZangpo2 like this.
  8. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

What I'm getting here is simple, Grundman is a first rate mastering engineer. Right now, second to none imo.

Sure, he's dropped a bollock or two along the way but overall I'll take him over anyone right now so not surprised his work gets the nod over high end boutique releases.

9. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

I don't believe the comments on Monk happened recently. The only reason I found them was by using the search function. Possibly some quotes remain outside of this thread. I used a lot of different keywords, including searching for the Impex pressing. It was a lot of turning over stones so to speak.

Simon & Garfunkel was strictly a shootout and while the MoFi was good, it came down to do I really need to get up to flip the record after 2 songs. For me, Bridge Over Troubled Water is a chill experience to get lost in the music and the MoFi didn't accommodate that experience or relaxation mode.

10. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

I only found some comparison for MoFi and the Impex and I compared them myself to find the MoFi is far superior to my ears.

11. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

Cool. I didn't buy either of those. The Impex was decided against since people said the MoFi was better. I have the Columbia 2-eye. Personally, I don't the One-Steps are worth it. I can appreciate why these are pressed as people need a decent option.

Edit: I also decided against the Impex because there were some comments on non-fill issues. I am trying to avoid having to send anything back during quarantine and doing the back and forth. If you were asking about where I found the Columbia info, I am not sure at this point, but my decision was made and the record is here.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    haomingy likes this.
  12. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

Disagree. Second to Kevin Gray.

jgrillo, Slick Willie and Twinsfan007 like this.
  13. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

IMHO, YMMV, ETC. ETC.

Clucking likes this.
  14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Not to throw off the current discussion, but thought I would share this photo as I was just doing some organizing in the home office and it felt relevant.

(And for the record I am in the 1-step Fragile camp)

[​IMG]

15. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

could post a similar picture, have you listened to any or are they all sealed copies? and what plastic covers are you using?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Curious as to why the lettering on the spines appear larger on one box and smaller on the other, of Bill Evans @ Village Vanguard and Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Waters?

Tremaindous and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. Wow, two Abraxas and two Vanguard. Nice! Two white whales for me, unfortunately

MikeJedi and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. Echoes Myron

Oh yeah I got those copies with the wrong font off of ebay.

J/K. It is just refraction from the outer poly covers. Sorry I am really bad at photography!

John D. likes this.
  19. Echoes Myron

I listen to all the titles, but have several sealed copies too.

For the unsealed copies I keep the records stored separately outside of the boxes.

Here are the bags:
    https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/1403/lp-record-bbox-setb-sleeves

Box set sleeves with flap.

Dignan2000 and 5-String like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thats about 5k collection at current prices. Prices that you can get pretty much immediately now. That’s whole lotta steppin goin’ on :D

Tommyboy, Echoes Myron and Peter K like this.
  21. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Many thanks, just placed an order!!

22. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

THREE copies of the Dylan?! Nice set!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  23. Echoes Myron

It's my all-time favorite Dylan album, so yeah guess I went a little overboard :)

Clucking likes this.
  24. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

What is the bags size?
    I see 3 size,what is the best for One Step box?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

With that collection I bet you are in the one step camp...even on the titles yet to be released!:D

Echoes Myron likes this.