Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

It's the second one on the list. Perfect for 1-Step or any box set up to 5 LPs:

Description:
    Box Album Sleeves
    14 x 14-1/4" 2 mil POLYETHYLENE

1-5/8" flap
    Fits over boxed LP sets.
    Base SKU: sblp2

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/1403/lp-record-bbox-setb-sleeves

Dignan2000, Guss2 and Slick Willie like this.
  2. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Too bad you have to buy them in pack of 50 at minimum. I only have a handful I'd need these for.

3. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

I get the issues people have with flipping 45rpm 12” records. It’s an extra layer of inconvenience. What’s stopping them from cutting at 33 with all else being equal? Surely biggest gain in sound quality comes from the process right?

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

No, not necessarily. The more sonically challenging the material, the more it will benefit from cutting at 45rpm. But there many factors. A recording that sucks isn't going to gain much from cutting at 45rpm.

I have yet to hear a record, all other things being equal, that hasn't better at 45rpm. And mastering for 45rpm is different than mastering for 33. But is the sonic improvement worth the inconvenience? I can't answer that for you.

Tullman and dkurtis like this.
  5. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

I actually agree with you on all those points. Sometimes I just play devil’s advocate like that.

I have some of these One Steps and think they’re just great. On the other hand, for me there’s a psychological barrier to opening a box and flipping twice as much that results in less playing of them unfortunately.

Will that stop me from buying more? I don’t know, probably not. I’m currently throwing all my record money at the Tone Poet and BN80 series.

6. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I do not believe that we will ever know the answer to that question. MoFi would have to cut a 2 x 45rpm using the same mastering, but without the one-step process, to determine how much the process contributes to the improvement. I suspect the one-step process is too valuable as a sales presentation in the justification of the $125 price tag to expose its true worth.

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

On the other hand, we do have plenty of examples of the same mastering and cutting engineer doing the same music at 33 and 45. In my setup, there's a clear difference. We don't have the same comparative examples of OneStep vs traditional. The cost, as Steve Hoffman has pointed out, shouldn't be different between the two processes. The greater cost is likely due to the sumptuous packaging (?!) and the fact that it's a more limited edition product. That one can buy the more open pressing run of the 2LP +7" set of Neil Young's Greatest Hits done using the OneStep process for under $50 tells us something.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You forgot to mention the new super vinyl formula from RTI, which is pretty darn good. Pressing quality is often undervalued, even SH admitted 45rpm can be a better pressing. Less noise = more music.

The same could be true for eliminating steps/copies in the lacquer process.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  9. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Any word on next 1 step release?

jboersma likes this.
  10. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I managed to pull the trigger on Yes Fragile right before they sold out.

Spencer R and Echoes Myron like this.
  11. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I have to say I wish they would get away from these ornate boxes and the large packaging. They’re too hard to deal with and they don’t look good after a while going back and forth on the shelf.

12. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

Perhaps Mingus Ah Um.

13. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

That’s already out. I received my copy back in March.

jboersma, Tullman and bajaed like this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is a good question. There is nothing listed for pre-order on Music Direct. The Monk and Mingus titles are waiting for another pressing. I think RTI started up so those should be available in the near future. The oldest announced title is SRV Couldn't Stand the Weather. Perhaps that will be next, but who knows.

15. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

That's one I really want. CSTW.

16. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

I just found out about these. HOLY CRYCKEE they are expensive. Just when I rack up Classic 45 sets and think I'm on top of the world, a new reissue comes along and knows my hat off.

I LOVE Blood On The Tracks but is it worth $125. Yeah I know, that's the lowest price on these sets. But still................ I just ordered it!....

Which of these sets blows the MoFi doors off of the same Classic 45 sets or the best remastered set that is the "end to be all"..... Thanks.

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I pulled the records out of mine and just filed them where they should go, and the box sits on my shelf for display. Did that with all my box sets at the recommendation of another forum member and it makes life much easier, and I do play them more.

18. Echoes Myron

Based on discussion here over the past few years, the general consensus for titles with the most clear-cut SQ improvement is probably:

Abraxas
    Sunday at the Village Vanguard
    Blood on the Tracks
    Mingus Ah Um
    Monk's Dream

I would personally add Fragile, Bridge over Troubled Water, and The Nightfly to this list, but they were more widely debated. I feel the rest are also must-have.

Peter K, vinylshadow and snorker like this.
  19. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I have a few of these now (S&G, TM, Fagen...) and I enjoy them all.

I don’t know that any record is worth $125 to me, but when I love an album and it comes out in this format, I treat myself.

I will say, I hope they mine some of their 90’s stuff for this series. Would be super cool to see Weezer or Nirvana or something like that in this series :)

pinkrudy, Fruff76 and Echoes Myron like this.
  20. vinylshadow

Thank you..... I have the Classic 45 sets of Mingus A-Um and Bill Evan's Live at Montreaux. I'd look into the Bill Evans S.A.V.V. but not for $700. Yeesh. Crazy prices!
    There's got to be a previous pressing that is quite decent.
    It's my favorite Dylan album, actually the only one I listen to, but ultimately even at $125 I couldn't pull the trigger on Blood On The Tracks One Step. In time, I may come to regret it.

21. Echoes Myron

It's my favorite Dylan album too. I hear you on the price, but IMO the One-Step is absolutely essential.

I have multiple US Columbia copies, the MOFI 33, and the One-Step. They all sound great--it is such a well recorded album, particularly the Minneapolis tracks--but the One Step is head and shoulders above them all. It keeps all the air and detail but with more punchy mids and bass.

vinylshadow likes this.
  22. vinylshadow

Ok brother. You made a convincing argument right there. Ordered.

giantleech, Fruff76 and Echoes Myron like this.
  23. Agentsmittie

Agentsmittie Active Member

I can attest to the static problem and it is severe, I bought 2 (Bob Dylan and Yes) records and they are by far the most clingy records I have ever experienced. Even with the MFSL "anti static" sleeve. It even managed to pull out the Collaro TT mat that is known to avoid the very issue.

The static gun does not help much.

And that is in Hong Kong, with relative humidity averaging 80-100% relative humidity in the summer.

The consolation is that it does prove that they are using some special compound never used elsewhere.

NorthNY Mark and Drew769 like this.
  24. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Uh oh. I bought both of those and haven’t opened them yet. I was waiting until I upgraded my cartridge.

25. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

They sound great - you just need to have your Milty static gun handy for use after each side.