Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. DandyDancing

DandyDancing Loser of licence, Ex-driver

I did the same today and got the same response.

2. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

Yes, when I heard here that it was resurrected, I decided to go ahead and pre-order. But, it seems, Eldorado is no Lazarus.

Preston likes this.
  3. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

In spite of his resurrection, Lazarus still ultimately died.

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

But Steve isn't correct. There IS a basis in scientific fact. Whether he or anyone takes advantage of 45s physical superiority is another story. And not all recordings will equally benefit.

FashionBoy likes this.
  5. AnalogJ

And Kevin is the one who did the actual cutting, to my understanding.

6. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Late to the game but Bridge Over Troubled Water arrived after trading with a member here. What’s the consensus on this one? I’m only familiar with a bargain bin copy I had but rarely listened to, and while there’s an obvious upgrade in sonics, feels a little light on bottom end to me.

Granted, it’s Simon & Garfunkel, so I’m not expecting thumping, and my ears are probably still quite novice compared to others. That said...I still love it and now has me considering preordering the upcoming Paul Simon titles.

haomingy and Jrr like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

For me, I’ve heard a few audiophile vinyl versions and while I don't recall which, one of those was particularly good. The One Step was quite a bit better and sold me on the whole concept. Problem for me is there just hasn’t been anything else that I have been interested in, so I’m excited to give Rhythm Simon a go.

8. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Checked my "Somethin Else One-step" order status today.
    Says "backordered."
    Better than cancelled I guess.

9. AnalogJ

Well, there apparently is NOT going to be a repress of the standard 45rpm of Pearl.

Janis Joplin - Pearl

Sold out

dkurtis likes this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just in case anyone did a preorder on the second batch of Monk's Dream One Step from AS. They just removed the title from their site, so I called this morning and they just got their shipment in of it. I was told if I did a preorder, which was a few months back, I would have a good chance at getting a copy. They came through once again and my order is being processed for shipping as well as many others that did the same (they only got enough for those that did this). I have heard this is a really good one, not quite Ah Um, but still great.

Dmann201 likes this.
  11. AnalogJ

One difference between Ah Um and Monk's Dream might be the relative importance of each album in the history of jazz. Ah Um may be a top 10 album of all-time and probably Mingus' most important album. Monk's Dream is probably not in that extremely high stratosphere, hence it taking longer to sell out.

NorthNY Mark and James Bennett like this.
  12. I also find the sonics on Mingus Ah Um a step above every One Step title I have heard, including Monk’s Dream. And that is much more of a praise for the Mingus than it is a criticism of the other releases. I have not heard any of the first 3 one steps, however.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I had a Clearaudio outer ring many years ago And it was nice to have because many Classic Records pressings were "dished". But when I got a Vinyl Flat, I sold it. I couldn’t really hear the difference if the record is otherwise flat.

14. AnalogJ

What is your equipment profile? I'm curious as to what table you tried it on, and your associated equipment.

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I find it hard to believe that Steve made that comment. His Creedence highlights 45 rpm set, his cut if Nat King Cole’s Love is the Thing and his unreleased Sweet Baby James are records I will never part with.

I recently bought the standard black vinyl version of an album by the group Haim. I was surprised to see that it was cut at 45 rpm. It sounds good although not exactly an audiophile recording.

Spencer R likes this.
  16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I currently use a Clearaudio Ovation with their Universal tonearm. I am not sure what table I was using when I had their outer ring. I think it was the Marantz table made by Clearaudio, the equivalent of the Emotion, which is a less expensive table, with a Clarity tonearm. That tonearm can be a little unsteady; maybe I couldn’t appreciate the difference. For the last 20 years or so, I have used a Roxsan composite mat and the Clearaudio clear clamp. Most of the vinyl I listen to is more recent heavy weight vinyl so maybe that’s the reason.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I can agree with you on that. It's sold out now and I'm happy as heck I got a copy and at the regular selling price. I have an original mono of it in fantastic shape, but was cool to see Fremer gave the sound a 10/10 on the One Step. And on top of finding out about this one today, I get an email from Elusive Disc telling me they were able to secure me a numbered copy of the Impex 45 of Friday Night In San Francisco which is being shipped today. Some pretty good news to start the day...

Mok, Twinsfan007, Dmann201 and 2 others like this.
  18. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Does anybody know why they cancelled the ELO Eldorado One Step? That was my most highly anticipated release as that has never been reissued by an audiophile label...

19. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

Makes sense. Zero reason to repress that with the UD1S coming.

AnalogJ likes this.
  20. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

There is always the upcoming Vinyl Me Please and Kevin Gray AAA 33 1/3 cut option.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

From what I understand the ELO title is more like still in limbo. Thus, why they arent taking pre-orders. So, still a chance.

22. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

For ELO?????

23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just did a preorder for the CSN, this will be my 4th MoFi One Step. To say I was late to the party, better late than never...Love these records!

Just a heads up, MD is giving 10% off on the future MoFi 45's and even the David Crosby right now. Just got an order in for 5 titles including the CSN (discount on 4 of them). Well I guess my day of work is over, and time to go listen to some music. You know, trying to figure out and then go buy the records you want, can really work up a sweat, but it's a good feeling when you finish an honest day's work.

24. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

No I’m sorry. For Janis

25. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Sigh, I wish they would stop reissuing the same albums and focus on albums that have yet to be reissued AAA...

Steve356 and Crazysteve like this.