Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Yeah, it says Ray Janos. And if VMP says something is "sourced" from the original master that means it's cut from a digital transfer. They are always explicit about things being cut from analog and AAA nowadays.

jboersma likes this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Ahhhh.... That's a horse of a different color. I had read it that the OneSteps were offered at a discount.

Ordinarily, MD offers 10% off on orders over $99, at least on in-stock items. Was it the preorder that's different?

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

He was responding specifically to the 33/45 of Rumours. Was he referring just to that album? I can tell you that the normal album side songs sound incredibly spacious on the 45. I haven't compared it to his 33 as I don't have one with which to compare.

4. DandyDancing

DandyDancing Loser of licence, Ex-driver

Also the cannonball one step.

Spencer R likes this.
  5. DandyDancing

DandyDancing Loser of licence, Ex-driver

I need it so bad.... Don't give me hope.

dkurtis and PoeRaider like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I understand. Just relaying what I was told.

7. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

No problem at all. I actually thought it was AAA until I looked looked it up too. It's tough to wade through all these new pressings and keep them straight in my head.

Crazysteve likes this.
  8. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think MOFI charges you up front, and Music Direct doesn’t charge until shipped.

bajaed likes this.
  9. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

Yup. Although I got charged for CSTW One-Step immediately despite the Cafe Blue 1-Step from Impex on my order not being in stock. Usually they don’t charge until all items are ready to ship (if you specified this at checkout).

10. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

What does MoFi do if you order several items that aren't yet in stock and then one comes in stock? How do they handle the single shipping fee that was charged at the time of the order?

Also, anyone else still waiting for MoFi to ship their CSTW?

11. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know it's not just me. My CSTW stamper was C17. I emailed Music Direct a few days ago to request a replacement. They sent me a reply yesterday confirming that I am on the list for a replacement disc 2 when they become available. Shame that this happens on an otherwise great sounding album.

12. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Which one step is this about?

Jason Simmons likes this.
  13. Jason Simmons

It's about the CSTW one-step. There are now two or three of us that have problems with the c17 stamper. Specifically noise on Tin Pan Alley.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  14. Ordered the David Crosby. According to the sales rep, its limited to 1 per customer.?.

jboersma likes this.
  15. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Probably because it is limited to 3000 or less.

jboersma and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  16. teag

teag Forum Resident

Is this phone orders only right now?

17. I believe so. I didn't see it listed on any website.

teag likes this.
  18. Flusani

Flusani Forum Resident

When i bought CSTW i was chatting with the seller at the store and i asked him if he had heard the 1step. He told me they got test pressings on standard black vinyl sent from MOFI and he had heard that but not the supervinyl. I thought that was interesting that they do these testpressings on a different vinyl formula than what they will actually use for the pressing run

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's pretty pointless for me as I bought from seller in UK. So the whole batch he is selling is almost certainly the same. So it is suck it or get a refund through Ebay. The problem becomes very minor if I change from Shibata tip to ML. It's therefore a plating issue that affects part of the groove and not a surface problem. I'm sure a large part of the run will be affected. RTI should be picking issues like this up.

20. I don’t think that’s the norm. This particular release has been in the works for so long that the test pressing predates the use of super vinyl. I think quite a few here were able to preorder this when it was still at the $99 price point.

21. Classicrock

The problem is not confined to one stamper as my side 3 is C18. So it is a widespread issue!

Jason Simmons likes this.
  22. Jason Simmons

It's concerning that this issue might be widespread across many stampers. Perhaps you can get your seller / retailer to request a replacement disc 3 directly from Music Direct. Rather than having to do the full exchange route.

The two cartridges I have at my disposal are nude shibata and super fine line.

23. Classicrock

If I was just using the OC9 MLII I would probably have hardly noticed it and not consider returning. Two different nude Shibata tips highlight the issue about 4 times in comparison. I doubt UK sellers have any direct connection with Music Direct. So far no reply to my query stating the issue. I would be surprised if most of the run that went to UK before release in the USA doesn't have this problem. Maybe most of the copies from Music Direct and US dealers are now OK. I'm sure some people have the offending stampers and don't notice the issue.

24. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

To be honest this would be unacceptable for me. I don’t know how much you paid for your One Step but I paid £170 for my Mingus. At that price I would not accept warping,dishing or any non fill or pressing issues.
    The odd pop or click ok. I would be looking to return it for a full refund if that were possible.

magnet likes this.
  25. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Yes here— still waiting for my MoFi order of CSTW to ship.