Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Somebody needs to start a pole: "How Many Versions Of Abraxas Will You Have By Age 80?" Im thinking no less than 20.

MikeJedi, jboersma and richbdd01 like this.
  2. Flusani

Flusani Forum Resident

So i just played CSTW side 3 ( C17) again. Changes from the previous listen is i have upgraded to an Rega Planar 6 with Ania pickup and cleaned the record on my Okki Nokki.

I am glad to report that my issue ( distorted and drop in sound for a few seconds during Tin pan alley) now seems to be gone. Must have been some crap in the gooves.

Allso it sounds pretty damn good. Amazing dynamics

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The reason we get the same titles is licencing agreements or just the cost if they are even up for grabs. Plenty titles get mentioned here that aren't likely even available to independents. Also MFSL tend to look for all analogue titles or at least those that are mixed to tape. That tends to rule out most recordings since the early 90s. Even worse that period is full of titles that are 16/44 masters or the master is a DAT tape. Maybe they could reinstate the silver series for these?

MikeJedi likes this.
  4. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Point taken but they have already issued One Steps from at least the source material being digital, including the Nightfly, and presumably Clapton unplugged will be as well.

MikeJedi and richbdd01 like this.
  5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

There are probably more titles than you would think that are recorded to tape even the 90’s. Its a bit of a myth that absolutely everything from the 90’s onwards is digital.

MikeJedi likes this.
  6. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

This is the baffling thing. Sometimes we get the same thing again and again. Same with Miles Davis A Kind Of Blue.

Then you get titles that seem to get overlooked and that would be obvious titles to do. Like Roxy Music Avalon...this has only really had the Simply Vinyl that I can think of at the top of my head. It sounds excellent but seems strange it hasn’t been picked up more. It just gets a little uninspired at times.

Another title im starting to see again and again now is Love Forever Changes. FFS, move onto something else. :laugh:

Kyhl, MikeJedi and audiotom like this.
  7. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Blood, Sweat, and Tears One Step has sold out? I see the pre-order on MoFi' site says pre-order.

8. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Weren't the most recent Tom Waits reissues rather crappy? The 2010-12 versions did it right with AAA but the new ones were digital and not very well received. Something tells me Mofi getting access to those tapes is unlikely.

Dmann201 and Vinylanswer.net like this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Nice One!

Huge Tom Waits fan here. But my choices would be Swordfishtrombones or Rain Dogs. If a fan, you know seeing him live on a good night is one heck of an experience. We have an awesome club here called The Tabernacle and saw him lower balcony, front row, dead center. One of the coolest shows I have ever seen.

Came back and did a preorder Folk Singer, so this will put me up to 5 One Steps now...my Monk's Dream is arriving today, can't wait to listen later tonight.

10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Money talks usually and if they are willing to front up the cash then usually it can happen. Unless you have a case like Stevie Wonder where he is very protective of his master tapes.

11. Dougthesnail

Yes, but Mofi still has to turn a profit. I don't think they'll front Tom Waits a few million to do one steps.

Sneezyachew likes this.
  12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Was just having fun/wishful thinking on my recent post. Yeah, we surely will not be seeing any One Steps of Tom Waits anytime soon. I'm happy just to have originals of them all.

Sneezyachew and Dougthesnail like this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think a few early digital recordings buck the trend for SQ. The Night Fly is one. Don't find Clapton Unplugged that special sounding. Now as somebody suggested Nirvana Unplugged In New York would be a better choice. That has really great sound digital or not. Also a more interesting choice for audiophile treatment. Unfortunately the label did a fine reissue recently. How about Neil Young unplugged - an expensive rarity - unless Neil has plans to do this soon? Clapton has been available pretty much constantly for a couple decades as single or double LP. At least they should pick one step releases based on outstanding recording quality.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  14. Dougthesnail

I've only heard the Tidal version of Clapton Unplugged, but I find it exceptional. The Nirvana tapes were reported to have been destroyed in the Universal Fire. The current version pressed at Pallas uses the ORG metalwork and may be the last time they were used.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Honestly, I think at one time the big audiophile players cared. It was probably easier to care way back when titles like "Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys" or "Boston" were able to be had. But once that kind of dried up and choices became limited, I think its became more and more of simply a business. I dont blame them. Gotta make a living. Also the advertisement is getting to more people so you have more new people coming into the hobby that perhaps do not have 10 copies of Abraxas and want the ultimate pressing. So why not rinse and repeat. Choices have obviously been cut off...time to cash in on title repeats over and over. Its always been that way to a degree, but now its kind of silly.

richbdd01 likes this.
  16. Dougthesnail

This x1000. Plenty missed that Abraxas One-Step, myself included. A lot of titles from 5-6 years ago newcomers missed, hence why the Beatles Mono goes for 1k+ and that aforementioned Abraxas is almost two thousand.

17. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

This reply confirms that I ordered Blood Sweat and Tears directly from the MoFi.com website seven hours before your inquiry here. If you want one, you better get one before they sell out. Many titles sell out during the pre-order period.

18. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Those Abraxas One Steps popping up on Ebay for $2,000 asking price are Promo's and not numbered, what's up with that? how many Promo's of Abraxas are floating around out there. :confused:

19. Dougthesnail

Not sure, but the cheapest numbered copy on Discogs is $1600 USD.

20. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Regarding the Promo situation, Promo's aren't usually presented in original lavish box set's and sealed are they?

21. Dougthesnail

They typically would be, Test pressings would not have the boxes.

John D. likes this.
  22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Does anybody here think the Abraxas will be repressed by anybody at any point in the future? Would the capacity be there or would the stampers be finished?

23. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I asked Music FIdelity if MOFI would ever re-release Abraxas via one-step
    Their answer was firm - non confrontational

Not under any circumstances
    Contractual and matter of principal

I think it is also a marketing issue
    Tell people something is very limited run and stand on your word
    and they have a sense of urgency to buy that next scarce released lp

24. Dougthesnail

There would certainly be demand and obviously a reason since SuperVinyl wasn't featured in the original. They did only do 2500, but how many stampers were made? I have no idea.

richbdd01 likes this.
  25. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

We have had Jazz and Rock and now (hopefully) some Blues ( Muddy Waters) represented on these One Step's. I would like to see something classical...anyone else?
    Good option would be something like one of the shaded dogs...like Gounod Faust, Witches Brew...maybe even Royal Ballet Gala..something else?? Only issue ( for MoFi's perspective), classical seems to have a smaller audience than the others ( although is this really true??).

Geee! and Shank's Pony like this.