Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If they ever did Talk Talk it would never be Laughing Stock but a bigger selling title. Probably The Colour Of Spring. Thing is Mo-Fi play safe with popular titles which applies to 80s and 90s as much as 60s and 70s. Fine doing 90's and 00's tiles as long as the recording will benefit one step. Classic Records did this but those titles if they resurface will be on AP and possibly UHQR clarity vinyl. Maybe they will do Weezer's blue album as that is supposed to be their best seller. Don't expect them to do anything relatively obscure or that hasn't been done before on an audiophile label. The model on these is obviously to sell out all they can press. If you want audiophile pressings that take risks try to persuade Intervention to have a go at sourcing a title. Their standard pressings aren't too far behind the One Steps. They may be doing something soon on the new RTI super vinyl.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    OptimisticGoat likes this.
  2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Just making sure.

If the ARS is consistent side to side then perhaps that one is not right?
    The US KC original also exhibited saturated vocals and guitar on sd 2.
    I find the MoFi one step faithful to the KC.

dkurtis likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Actually it depends what you mean. A couple of tracks on side 2 have the worst sound on the album but half of it at least sounds equally as good as side 1 Perhaps split across 2 sides at 45 rpm makes this stand out more. Side 1 is all good but I wouldn't say side 2 was all bad. To me it sounds compressed on some more vocal tracks - maybe what you describe as saturated vocals. It's certain parts not half the album. I'm now thinking the one step BOTW highlights some big differences between tracks. Also Abraxas especially side 1 is one of those albums that splitting it breaks up the flow somewhat. MFSL sort of tried to get round that on Vanilla Fudge by repeating a track end of one side and beginning of the next.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Yes it does although sometimes you have to get just the right length of time over several treatments (first didn’t go long enough)

Vinylflat.com

The warming bag is worth it as well but you can use the oven

Put your records on the turntable
    Spin them without lowering the cartridge before determining whether you need it

richbdd01, GentleSenator and MikeJedi like this.
  5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

+1 to all of what you said.

@MikeJedi - check out the Vinylflat thread(s) here for testimonials, etc. i've said it already, but: i wouldn't be able to live without mine. especially with a large vinyl collection. it's essential.

haomingy, MikeJedi and audiotom like this.
  6. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

On another subject related to One Step releases: does anyone know of a good place in Europe (outside the UK) to order them? Preferably somewhere in Germany....

7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

This is just a heads up on the Blood, Sweat and Tears One Step. I realize MD stopped taking preorders for it, but I just called AS and ordered it and they said I got in on time to get a copy. I am now going with MD on these, but slept to long on this one. AS came through for me on Ah Um and Monk's Dream, so I feel pretty good about it. The person that took my order strongly advised me to preorder now, then later. Just a shoutout if any others waited like I did.

8. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

The One Step box are delicate,there are a transparent sleeves so big for them?

9. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Just got a reply from MoFi. Pretty much answered my questions except the shipping, not sure about it. I see for $5 more on the order sheet, double boxed. Anyone took that offer? How's their shipping as far as their shipping boxes? They have FedEx smartpost, $6.67, FedEx ground, $9.99. They couldn't give me amount of shipping days. Told me to go to FedEx, if they give me a tracking number.

"We are not providing shipping times on our website at this time." Visits FedEx.com directly for shipping times via their different methods. Are you shipping to a PO box? Yes we charge sales tax. No we do not have a phone number to provide at this time."
    I would have ordered thru AS, but I'm afraid I would get left off being this late in ordering. I've always ordered from MD, but this time caught me off guard, time split by, MD sold out their pre-orders.

10. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Nephrodoc, Dmann201 and anodyne like this.
  11. David P. Hill

Jerry, do they make one that has the flap with adhesive or non-adhesive? If you don't mind and have some extra time like to see pictures of a One-Step outer box? What's size in use for the One-Step? Do you have the AP Hendrix ABAL or Aqualung? If you do, same size as the One-Step? Thanks!

12. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Blood, Sweat n' Tears is still available for pre-order at MoFi, in case anyone is sweatin' gettin' a copy (I ordered a BLT and Janis from them the moment their announcement hit my email box.)

scotti likes this.
  13. David P. Hill

GiantLeech, have you ordered from MoFi before for the One-Steps? Which shipping did you use, the $6.67 or the $9.99 one? I noticed below the checkout box, for an extra $5, have it doubled box?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  14. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Hmm... I only recall seeing a basic postage option of $9.99, but that may be because I ordered two (2) copies of each of those two titles, so maybe the lesser price you quoted wasn't an option for me. Every 1-Step from MoFi that I have ordered from them (or Music Direct, perhaps) has come packaged in a pretty thick and sturdy box that could withstand a beating from the most merciless of delivery dudes, so I find no need to worry about these puppies arriving in a condition anything other than pristine.

15. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Now I'm hungry.

Ed Hughes, Kyhl and giantleech like this.
  16. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Same question

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Your can add me to that list. MD will be sending me a replacement as well.

Jason Simmons likes this.
  18. David P. Hill

Tullman, what's your limited number on your SRV One-Step? See if it's near mine?

jboersma likes this.
  19. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

Thanks for the information. I preordered the Monk's Dream from AS back in February 2020, and just got the shipping notification last week, so it's nearly one year for my copy arrives. In the mean time I preordered another copy from ElusiveDiscs in case AS can't fulfill my order. It was cancelled by ED in May and then I saw your posts week ago that the last few copies was back in stock. Next time I would order directly from MD or MoFi for the One Step titles, it looks like AS get some stocks after MD and MoFi sold out their copies.

20. teag

teag Forum Resident

Does MoFi charge at the time of preorder or do they wait until time of shipment?

21. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Forum Resident

I called MD today to preorder the David Crosby super vinyl and asked what they still had in stock for One Steps and he said they got their last batch of Monk's Dream if anyone missed it and wants a copy.

scotti likes this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got the Crosby on order as well. Expecting this one to sound very nice. It's aged so well over time. Got my "Monk's Dream" last weekend, but have not listened to it yet.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My number is 1080. The record sleeves and the box/packaging was all perfect.

24. Just pre ordered the Crosby myself. I also threw in the CSN one step. Not sure if I will keep that order. I passed on Pearl for now. Just not a $125 album for me.

25. nate8907

nate8907 Forum Resident

I buy these direct and they're great for One-Steps and the UHQRs. Fit snug, but they do cover entirely and loosen up after a few uses:
    http://www.bagsunlimited.com/produc...ith-flapfontbr14-x-14-14-x-2-mil-polyethylene

For larger boxes (Tom Petty WF 9LP/Prince 1999/Hendrix Winterland, etc):
    https://www.bagsunlimited.com/produ...with-flapfontbr14-x-15-w-x-3-mil-polyethylene

jboersma likes this.