Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dont think its sold out. See it available at Mofi.com and other places for pre-order.

Joti Cover likes this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Daydreaming about a one-step "Bridge Of Sighs" again...man I wish they could do this album.

djost, dkurtis, MikeT and 7 others like this.
  3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Slim Whitman...! :drool:

mpayan likes this.
  4. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Six years... my very first post here was in this thread, as a young 19-year-old who got the Abraxas One-Step LP. I didn't buy most of the ones after that, because (as great as Abraxas sounds), I just didn't have the money for them. Now I'm back, (im)patiently waiting for Blood, Sweat & Tears, with plans to order more of these in the future. What a difference six years makes, indeed!

tumpux, HarryB, Dmann201 and 6 others like this.
  5. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Glad that you're back in for the Blood & Sweaty Tears 1-Stomp. It's such a fantastic album (one of the greatest achievements of the entire '60s rock/pop era.)

HarryB, Bobsblkwax and nick99nack like this.
  6. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I want more Procol but I think it will take some sort of young internet age "tastemaker" to do or say something that makes ol' Brooker and the boys go "viral" to achieve some sort of (and enough) renaissance of interest to the level that we can finally see some/more hot audiophile grade treatment of their canon of work.

mpayan and Dartman like this.
  7. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Yeah, I love it. It's one of my favorites, and one of the albums that really got me into audio (the other being Supertramp's Crime of the Century). Every version I've had has sounded great. I'm sure this will be no exception!

Drew769 and giantleech like this.
  8. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

I’m 51 now, and in 1978 or thereabouts my dad bought his first high end rig. I remember is was a rainy Saturday, and we went to Stuart’s Audio in Scotch Plains, NJ. He auditioned McIntosh speakers, a Sony PSX50 turntable, and Yamaha electronics among other things, and the first album they played was the Original Master Recording of Crime of the Century. My mind was completely blown hearing School for the first time, and on that stereo. It remains one of my favorite albums today, and like you, is the album that got me into hi-fi.

tumpux, Elofan, Dmann201 and 5 others like this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, I just wish theyd throw us one hard rockin title. Dig Bad Company out of the dinorock cracks of yor. Even better, a "Free" title. This thread would go bananas if "Fire And Water" suddenly showed up as a one step. Unlike some folks on the thread I love the BS and Ts title being done. But, really, come on man jazz horns, Nightfly, piano jazz Evans aint rock n roll!

..not that I dont like those titles...just sayin..Throw down a Bob Seger Beautiful Loser One-Step...something!

GRC, dkurtis, keylime_5 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

No, but you can call Music Direct to preorder over the phone. I would not wait...

4-2-7 likes this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

There's a difference in my mind between saying

(i) "mastering hot", to provide the "perception" of better sound to easily fooled listeners, which is unacceptable for an audiophile label; or
    (ii) "mastering to capture the full dynamic range of the master tapes", which is a laudable goal.

Time will tell. The Mingus Ah Um sounds astonishing to me. Haven't listened to the Monk yet.

Dmann201 and AnalogJ like this.
  12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Wow. I can't believe it's been six years that they've been issuing these albums. I bought my copy of Abraxas, waited for reviews before opening it as I usually do, watched prices skyrocket and for some reason have never opened it for six years. That's weird I guess; being hesitant to open a record because it went up in value . . . I should either sell it or listen to it.

I did, however, open and listen to Sunday Night at the Village Vanguard and was so pleased, both with the sound and the music that I have begun buying jazz actively for the first time in years. I remember the initial problems with the One-Steps - the scratched and scuffed inner sleeves, the doubles of record 1 of Bridge over Troubled Waters. They seem to have solved the scratches, and from what I understand, everyone loves the new vinyl formulation. It's actually been exciting, and I think the records are worth the money.

That said, I find the latest release announcements a bit dull. Janis Joplin's Pearl, and Carole King's Tapestry. More late 60s/early 70s classic rock titles that have been done and redone for audiophile fans. Ugh. Not a big fan of Pearl and since I already own the 33-1/3 Classic Records pressing and two copies of the 45 rpm Classic Records Pressing, when I add the MOFI One-Step I will have spent nearly $300 on this one album (not including digital versions or my long-disposed of original Ode vinyl). I pre-ordered, but I hope they find a way to surprise us with later announcements.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  13. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

Just got my shipping notification for the BS&T one Step - As mine only has to come from the Netherlands to Germany, I might have it in a couple of days… Here’s hoping!!!:goodie:

Joti Cover likes this.
  14. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yes there is in my mind.

And why I said this.....

and not this.....

15. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I'd rather see these get quality reissues, especially "Straight Shooter". I wouldn't lay down $125 for it though, or an album by Free.

Craig's Story likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Weren't the deluxe Bad Co. reissues well regarded?

17. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Can't say I've listened to them. From what I remember they were done "half speed" which I tend to avoid.

18. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Now I remember. Same here.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Oh yeah. This is the one Ive been waiting for. And its shipping out in the summer? Man, they are really cranking these out now. $$$

8000 is the amount to be pressed. Wonder how they figure out the mumber?

NorthernFusion likes this.
  21. NorthernFusion

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

23. NorthernFusion

They’ve already posted stories showing it being pressed, so I’d say they’re hitting that summer release date.

24. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Just got off the phone w/MD. Here's what's available for preorder as of today (in the order the sales rep said them if that is any indication of intended release) Note that Blood Sweat & Tears and Carole King were not listed (though Carole King is still available on MoFi's site)

Placed a preorder for all but Pearl + CSN. Debating whether or not to grab Carole King...might just do it because I'll probably regret it once it starts shipping.
    1. Janis Joplin - Pearl
    2. Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
    3. Elvis - From Elvis In Memphis
    4. Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin' Simon
    5. Eric Clapton - Unplugged
    6. Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
    7. Crosby, Stills & Nash - S/T
    8. Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

25. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

Just placed a pre-order for the PS, looking forward to that.