Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. I think Still Crazy is a great recording. BOTW not as much, but still quite good. My biggest issues, with both releases, I strongly suspect were done in the mixing stage. But without hearing a remix or the multi track tapes, it’s hard to be certain.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Pretty certain Eldorado has been cancelled. Tapestry is next up after Paul Simon and Joplin I believe. As for the rest they could appear in any order or not at all. I think CS&N is ahead of the rest.

3. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

I’m guessing Clapton unplugged is next.... just guessing :cool:

bajaed likes this.
  4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Lol sorry must have misread your post. Yeah that is what I get for internet before cofffee. :)

NorthNY Mark and Mok like this.
  5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

And, of course, I was joking, intentionally conflating two album titles, coming up with Rhythm Of The Simon, or should it be Rhythm Of The Rhymin' Simon?

CBackley and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I listened to my copy #1391 of Still Crazy After All of These Years, yesterday. The vinyl played super quiet. The mastering sounds great to my ears. I could hear into the mix like never before. Like the organ part in Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover. Just an outstanding pressing.

MFSL is really on to something with the new vinyl formula from RTI.

Twinsfan007, djost, Johan1880 and 9 others like this.
  7. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I’ve had BST # 3453 for a couple of weeks and just listened to it today. This was the first record my engineer neighbor played for me on his new reel to reel deck in 1968. I remember the sound knocked me out.

Instruments spread out and good detail. Surprised how forward the bass is in the mix.
    IMHO one step a good presentation for horn bands and I cranked it up …. clear and powerful. I preordered CSN but think I will
    pass on the other preorders. Trying to save up for the next big thing as I just got my KOB UHQR couple days ago and Jarrett Sun box coming.

NorthNY Mark and Joti Cover like this.
  8. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Acoustic Sounds would probably have less complaints if they dropped the Clarity Vinyl and used the Super Vinyl formula.

9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Jesting at the overkill of spending that much on a front end, assuming it’s even feasible. I can’t imagine many could.

10. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Alright, I've told myself I don't need Abraxas (at least for prices they exist at) but The Nightfly is the only one I didn't have after playing catch up on all the titles since Mingus came out.

I have a Craft Lush Life sealed copy that someone is willing to trade me the Donald Fagen for. Would you take it? In all honesty Fagen isn't really my jam, but I can appreciate the sonic quality and the completist in me is stupidly winning right now.

I dunno if Lush Life has plateau'd in value - I can see it maybe bumping up a little, and I guess all the MoFi One Steps just increasing as well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

audiotom likes this.
  11. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

I would trade that every day of the week. The Fagen one-step is stunning. (I also own Lush Life).

audiotom, Twinsfan007, djost and 3 others like this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm not sure if RTI has the rights to that particular Super Vinyl Formula. It has been reported that RTI was involved with Neotech in developing that formula.

John D. likes this.
  13. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Does anyone have an idea on the vinyl release of Truth by Jeff Beck? It’s the only no brainer pick for me by Mofi this year and I don’t see it on Music Direct or Mofi’s websites, only the SACD. Thanks

14. NorthernFusion

You can preorder it over the phone with MD, but release window still isn’t clear.

draden1 likes this.
  15. AnalogJ

But here's a situation where the Robert Ludwig original might be my go-to copy, in spite of that the One-Step is impressive in certain aspects.

16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Wow! We may be in agreement on this.
    Although the inner tracks from the original are impressive on the 1 step.
    Tonally, I lean to the RL.

17. NorthernFusion

Can’t comment on an original but I have a Bellman cut from 2012 and that’s an excellent pressing. Somehow the one-step goes even further but I think this was a well-recorded album no matter what pressing you have.

In the context of trading out the Small Batch Lush Life though, it’s no contest, at least for me. Might be in the minority with that though.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

Er...well, even a stopped clock is correct twice per day. :cheers:

Slick Willie likes this.
  19. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

The latest reissue that came out last Friday is the Bellman cut and sounds extremely quiet and clean. It allowed me to take the One-Step off of my want list.

RobCos02330 likes this.
  20. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I'm leaning toward the RKS cut of Still Crazy. The Mofi certainly has better instrument separation, especially the horns. Paul's vocal inflections are more noticeable and I can hear more of "the room" especially the echo of Paul's voice on quieter tracks.

This is still the best Vinyl formulation on the market today and it's dead quiet. I felt every detail.

The RKS cut has a richer, fuller, and more balanced sound. It's less Hi-fi and analytical, but has a romantic quality. It's fat, dense, buttery and just an enjoyable listen.

I'd say the RKS is my preferred copy after 5-6 plays of each. Certainly the one step is more detailed but there is just a magic to the RKS, and I mainly contribute it to him being a phenomenal engineer. I felt closer to the music with his version.

You can't go wrong with either copy. It depends on how you prefer your music to sound imo.

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Bellman is not even close to the One Step.

22. Slick Willie

Lol!

AnalogJ likes this.
  23. Balanced wouldn't be a word I'd use to describe the RKS cut, personally. Bloated in the lower miss/upper bass to my ears. On my system, anyways.

"fat, dense, and buttery" I agree with that. But I find it muddies up the music far too much for my taste.

Likely just system differences.

24. I find the broad range of reactions to Still Crazy quite interesting. We've had "I hate it" all the way to "it's the best one step yet", and everything in between. I know we all hear things differently and our systems all voice music differently, but it seems this release in particular has an extraordinarily broad range of reactions. I wonder why that is.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  25. Slick Willie

May come down to what it's compared to.
    All is relative.

Jrr likes this.