Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Apparently not boring to everyone.

HarryB, AFA, scotti and 3 others like this.
  2. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

True, only to me. It’s good because they’re one less thing I have to worry about.

this_machine and Mazzy like this.
  3. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

Exactly the point I was attempting to explain (I guess I wasn’t clear) and if true you can extrapolate that all future releases are in a sense limited. They may not be numbered limited to 3K but will still be limited in one form or another. I guess we will see how this plays out over the next few years.

AnalogJ and Mazzy like this.
  4. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Some of these artists didn't all of a sudden become more popular. The hype is selling these things. When these albums were originally released they weren't as in demand as they are now. It is fun to watch though.

If these albums were released as audiophile releases but without the MFSL name, they wouldn't sell like this at these prices.

5. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I suppose fun to watch if you don’t care for these albums, like me. I’d be pissed if they did Roxy Music’s first two and I got bounced out though!

6. Rocco1

Rocco1 Forum Resident

The hype is certainly a component of the popularity, but personally I'm drawn in by the sound quality. Yes, its always about the music first and foremost. But many of these "audiophile" grade recordings are like crack. I probably wouldn't have thought twice about APs Homemade Ice Cream by Tony Joe White until I heard it. Wow, that's a nice sounding recording and I really dig the music, so win-win. Same way for many, but certainly not all, of the MFSL releases.

AnalogJ and petzmark like this.
  7. I knew what you meant and you were very clear. I was trying to expand on it.

Beach House likes this.
  8. The demand isn’t just about hype, it’s about an increase in people spinning LPs, be it folks new to vinyl completely or people who left the format long ago finally returning. And in addition to this, there have been a whole lot of folks who didn’t previously dabble in the audiophile niche finally being converted to audiophile AAA LPs.

And more in demand now than upon release? Truth hit 15 on the Billboard Top 200, I’m pretty sure it sold more than 4K copies or whatever MFSL is pressing.

Cassius, petzmark, scotti and 3 others like this.
  9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Luckily, I preordered. I just got a shipping notice on Truth. I did not preorder the Rascals. I doubt I regret that. I can’t see that one selling out too fast.

scotti likes this.
  10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well, we already have some examples of how this can work. For instance, the Dire Straits titles have been in print for years. People that missed out on the first run can still order these titles, albeit with a wait. At least with this new policy people won't be left out because a title sells out before release.

Beach House likes this.
  11. It’s a beautiful sounding, nicely recorded album (Young Rascals Groovin) as is so I suspect the MoFi will sound amazing. I pre ordered it three months ago.

sonofjim and FashionBoy like this.
  12. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Truth sounds great, though I did get a seam split :/
    The soundstage on the 45 RPM MoFi is pretty jarring in how wide it is when you are used to playing this album in mono all the time like I do. Not quite as mindblowing as some more audiophile recordings MoFi has done like Nilsson Schmilsson but I'm pretty thrilled to have an audiophile pressing of this great album at last.

Bigdz68 and scotti like this.
  13. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

My local just added me to his list for the allotment he has coming, so no fretting on my end.

scotti likes this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So for someone like myself that prefers this record in stereo, I'm assuming I will be in for one heck of a listen...yes? I really do love mono recordings, but I just like this one better in stereo. I do remember hearing this in mono, I believe a UK version, but it was not on the best of systems, so can't really judge the comparisons properly. Wasn't this a rare non mono fold down release?

By the way, I agree about Nilsson Schmilsson, that one is so good! I assume you have "Son Of" on order like myself? My copy of "Truth" should be arriving by Friday...

15. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I didnt' order Son of yet, I haven't done any phone preorders yet, though I'm probably gonna end that streak and call MD to preorder The Young Rascals' Groovin.
    If you like your Truth in stereo, I think this version will be a real treat indeed

scotti likes this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Don't hesitate on The Young Rascals, I preorderd it months ago, and this is one I'm so looking forward to. Mono, so this one should deliver some massive bottom end and bite. I almost don't like saying that I got this record back in 1967 when I was the ripe old age of 10 and still do have an original of this record. @Mazzy maybe you cold help chime in on this one, as you already have.

FashionBoy and Mazzy like this.
  17. I have an OG stereo and the last Rhino Mono which is really good. I pre ordered the MoFi Every track is great.

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree. I just got off of the phone with Music Direct. The people answering the phone are not always informed about the state of all things MFSL. The Rep told me he had no idea about this " no more limited number titles" policy. He said the administration doesn't always answer questions like this that come up. Since @The 'In' Groove deals directly with MFSL he probably has a better source than any of us calling on the phone.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You are right!

Followed your advice.:righton:

I was wrong, along with others.

Turns out you are right. I just called Music Direct and placed an order for the 45rpm Truth.
    Another batch is being pressed.

Beach House likes this.
  20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Last time I called Music Direct my sales person told me they watch the rumor mill just like anxious customers often do. His advice: call frequently to check. Crazy.:crazy:

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, Music Direct keeps their customer service reps out of the loop, for sure. How hard would it be for MD to give the reps written memos? The reps ask questions but don't always get answers.

22. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Are the Eric Clapton and Muddy Waters 1 step coming out this year? I had heard these were the next 2 to be released. Also have any new titles been added recently ?

I finally heard the Yes 1 step. I found the bass on it a bit much. It really stood out in an artificial way to me anyway.

23. MWebb

MWebb You and me...we died a long, long time ago

They officially announced only a few titles earlier this year and are still in the process of even filling those (BS&T and Simon are out, presumably Joplin and King are out next; CSN Couch is sort of announced officially as it was in their start of the year splash graphic but is only in phone pre-order) and the ones you speak of, Clapton and Muddy are among the long list of "pre-announced, phone pre-order only" One Steps that aren't up for web pre-order, which is at least a concrete step toward actual pressing and fulfillment.

If you scroll up you will see the pre-phone pre-order rumor of Bitch's Brew and a couple of Eagles titles, and those are so early that MD still won't even take the call on them. Having any more than that in even the long term plans would surprise me as they already have enough titles in that phase to last through 2023 at their current pressing speed.

Given recent history it usually takes at minimum a few months from the time they put up the album for web pre-order on their site to fulfillment. Given that, I wouldn't expect any of the dark pre-order One Steps to come out before late Fall / early Winter at the very earliest and who knows what order they are going to press them in?

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Definitely right. The herd mentality has taken over and you can see on these threads people are buying every release. COVID is part of the reason for sure. Once things get closer to “normal”, demand will drop.

Personally, I will only buy the titles I want. Not every MFSL or AP release.

Jrr and this_machine like this.
  25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Judging from some dates I've seen on sellers sites, Tapestry is next and could be as soon as 4 weeks time, (maybe earlier in USA). Presuming Pearl will follow and CSN is likely early next year. The non listed (telephone order) titles could be a year or two down the line.

Geoffsterpiano likes this.