Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

That's what credit cards are for ;)

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yep, mounting debt and high interest rates, yahoo !

Tullman likes this.
  3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

It looks like we need some financial counseling around here.

4. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

To me, he has a rather haughty and sneering attitude in his tone of voice. Like he's talking down the viewers.

5. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

As mentioned on the Eagles thread, I know its not the end of the world, first world problems blah blah, but its become quite the gamble with these.For the price these folks charge for a premium product, they need to learn to package their product properly for shipment, fed up with seam splits on nearly every 1 step I’ve purchased not to mention the major warp on Desperado LP2 which is unplayable on my Rega P10. C’mon man! :rant:

this_machine and Myke like this.
  6. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

What do you think of side 1? My side 1 sounds terrible.

7. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Demand a replacement!

8. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

Yeah, agree, very digital/harsh sounding, the self titled sounds lush in comparison.

9. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

Ok, I'm worried that it is "correct" and not damage. I can't see anything wrong visually even with a magnifying glass. So that might just be how it sounds. I might see if I can do a return the entire thing if that's the way it sounds.

10. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

Sadly, I should do the same, LP1 stinks and forget a replacement for the surf city
    LP2

11. Myke

So glad I passed due to my love for the Grundman reissues.

John D. and RobCos02330 like this.
  12. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Same. They sound great and there’s other stuff on my radar. Couldn’t justify.

Myke likes this.
  13. David P. Hill

Were these the Grundham reissues from Rhino Records, 1 or 2yrs ago?

14. Myke

15. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Your side one sound terrible,for a pressing defect or for the mastering?

AnalogJ likes this.
  16. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I’m a huge fan of MOFI and to my ears they have had no sonic turkeys in a long while but that said, it seriously sounds like there could be a some sort of recall of the Desperado One Step. The discrepancies between the quality of side one and the rest of the program that have been posted here are very strange/disconcerting. What happened one wonders.

17. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I knew a while back that the quality of these records is questionable, too much bad quality control.

I also mentioned that everyone preordering is not in anyones best interest.
    Normally people buy new reissues with a little knowledge on the quality of it. We hear what others have to say, reviews on the title that's being put out. If it's good more people buy it till it's sold out. Lately everyone is "Assuming" it's going to be good and fearing it will be sold out do a preorder.

If most people stop preordering, these titles will not sellout prior to actually coming out on the market. We can then hear about quality control before dropping a bunch of money on them.

Id rather pay for the best copy of something even a one step, but if I preorder 4 different titles and 3 have issues, it would be cheaper to wait, buying the one copy that get rave reviews even if it cost me $200 on the second hand market. That's better than spending $500 and end up with one great record for $125.

People need to slow their roll, then these records will not sell out so fast and we all can find out a little about them first.

RobCos02330, ted321, JimmyS and 4 others like this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks to reading some of the issues folks are having with warps and the sound quality of "Desperado" over on the Eagles thread, I was just barely able to cancel my order this morning. I have all of the originals and never really listen to them that much anymore. But in it's place, I was able to backorder the Bill Withers GRH and Blonde on Blonde 45. I think I will be much happier...

JimmyS and Joti Cover like this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I just canceled my preorders for Desperado and Pearl OneSteps. Interestingly, they're still taking preorders for the standard 45rpm of Pearl.

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I kept my preorder for Pearl. I'm still on the fence with that one, but over the past few years I'm starting to like her music more. Especially "Kozmic Blues". I think I'm going to take a chance on Pearl.

21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Ahh..yes, but I have the RSD Rhino box set of all of her albums, and it sounds excellent (even though they might have been digitally mastered). The Pearl of that set sounds better than my standard US pressing.

scotti likes this.
  22. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

I'm thinking about just getting the rest with the Grundman remasters although not fully analog just to avoid this headache next time. I can score the rest for the price of a one step.

4-2-7 likes this.
  23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If Desperado is poorly mastered I’ll be so disappointed because that one is my favorite. It’s really sad - KW’s work on Monk’s Dream and Mingus Ah Um sounded so good to me that I actually went out and bought additional copies of those two!

Not sure whether to keep the order or not (mine has not shipped).

24. David P. Hill

Same feeling for me, both from MD, but hasn't shipped yet.

25. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

You should probably get it and judge on your system.