Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

soon the flip-all will be well!

2. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

I check out his videos from time to time because I like his vibe, but he does offer very little insight. The word cloud for his channel can be boiled down to; stoughton, remaster, fantastic, and Kevin grey.

The YouTube vinyl community is weird. It’s a lot of holding the record in frame next to their face. Some do it better than others, but it’s like watching HGTV or something. It’s not something I really engage with or get something out of, it’s just kind of on in the background while I’m doing something else.

4-2-7 likes this.
  3. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Couldno
    Best collection money can buy. How about a shoot out with some original titles? Joke!

4. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Most the time when I look at those vids on Youtube it's to get a look at new titles, like box sets. Some even alert me about something new and to go look for a copy or tell my store to get me one. I like SuperDeluxe, just for the fact that they do a good job showing the titles and that's it. They limit their comments to packaging quality only and different issue selections.

5. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I figured I'd get some flack. First time I've ever bought extras. I'll see how it works out.

6. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I also heard back from Mofi and they basically said the same thing. Music Direct is processing the replacements LP’s which must be something new they are doing.

JimmyS and John D. like this.
  7. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Nope, bought Nilsson Schmilsson from MoFi in May, and the replacement for a mislabeled second disk came from MD.

OptimisticGoat, John D. and Nephrodoc like this.
  8. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

I was also surprised to see him on that panel to discuss KoB with Fremer and Hobson and Kassem. His place on that panel was to represent the view of a hobbyist You Tuber. He doesn’t hold himself out there as an expert on anything, though, on that panel or in any of his videos. He is a hobbyist with a video camera, and apparently a large amount of disposable income! Lol. He buys every Electric Recordings release for example at, what, $500 each? I think they just raised their prices, too. Anyway, I watch his videos andI enjoy them. His perspective is often interesting and sometimes reflects the same views we talk about here, such as the Croft One Step frustration.

I also enjoy another channel that is one of his friends called “Sonic Flare.” He’s a kick, very energetic. I’m not entirely sure if he has professional background in music and equipment, but he has been around hifi a while and is entertaining to listen to. He’s probably much like many of us on this forum.

Dmann201, John D. and 4-2-7 like this.
  9. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Good to know. Did they want the defective LP returned?

10. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

After some back & forth with myself, I finally cancelled my pre-order for "Tapestry". I don't even play the versions I have now. That money will be better spent elsewhere.

formu_la, 4-2-7, ted321 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

When did he ever say he is an “authority”? He is on this forum so maybe he can chime in. He just did a video that may shed some insight at the 8 minute mark.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    ultron9 and Mazzy like this.
  12. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

At the end of the day, it's his opinion and you can choose to do what you want with it. He has very nice equipment and by the looks of it, you do too.

None of this is based around actual facts, if you take measurements digital is superior, but we obsess over our vinyl like a cult.

My collection is largely the same because, in Canada, UK and US original pressings aren't as common. I can get them but would rather not pay $40 shipping per album and in many cases, reissues are more affordable than pristine older pressings like Blue Note, Prestige, and Impulse!

13. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I think this is all semantics in that Original in the case of those talking vinyl are really talking about First Press when the album was originally released. You are obviously, and I hope sarcastically, focusing on Original meaning something other than the first time the album was released on vinyl.

In fact - looking at a definition of original - it can be taken either way, so in one case you could be "wrong".

Here is a definition: present or existing from the beginning; first or earliest. - To my point this could be taken as the first or earliest pressing ever available of that title.

Another definition: something serving as a model or basis for imitations or copies. - Again if one thinks of the first pressing ever released of an LP, then it would serve as a basis for imitations or copies (those being the reissues).

Again - all semantics, but in a way, the way these "newbies" call Originals as they do isn't wrong.

And regarding 45rpm Audiophile. I watch his channel. I am older than he is. I have been purchasing vinyl since 1967, but in the mid 80's I stopped purchasing vinyl and was caught up in the CD perfect sound forever (I didn't even own a TT as the Dual I had was not working). It wasn't until around 21 years ago that I got back into vinyl, and like 45rpm Audiophile I purchase mostly new vinyl - mainly because my large vinyl collection during the 80's, 90's and early 2000's was in storage in my in-laws basement on blocks so it was off the floor. Regardless, the remnants of Hurricane Floyd passed through the area, flooded the basement because it was too much for the 2 sump pumps they had (first time the basement ever flooded), and I lost a bulk of my vinyl collection. I kept my LPs up to that point immaculate - all Near Mint until that flood occurred. It is very hard to find early pressings in stores in the shape I kept my LPs - and I refuse to pay the insane prices people are asking for used vinyl now-a-days.

Anyway, How do you know that 45RPM Audiophile didn't have vinyl when he was younger, gave it up for CDs, and is now getting back into it big time. Like me he focuses mainly on new reissues to make up his collection. So I think you may be underestimating his overall knowledge of audio and music.

If I were to start a channel and showed my collection, you would probably think like 45RPM Audiophile (his name escapes me at the moment), that I was just like him - yet I have been listening to and collecting music for over 50+ years. In fact my first ever hi-fi was purchased by my father for me in 1970 and it was a Fisher system - when Fisher hi-fi meant FISHER hi-fi - with Avery Fisher still involved with his company.

14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

This talk about “noobs” sounds like we’re discussing some video game on 4chan or something.

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

LOL. Although I do watch a lot of Vinyl Community videos where the people making these videos are younger than 30, have just been buying vinyl for the past 5 years or so, and they do talk about sound quality and other audio related issues inherent in vinyl as if they are "experts".

I don't want to get into the argument about the quality of their gear (in fact my gear, although not bad, is not as hi-end as a lot of gear other people on this thread own), but they are listening to vinyl on systems that may be a step above listening through computer speakers and streaming mp3s through a computer or phone (sometimes their equipment in total is less costly than a few LPs). At least they are buying vinyl and keeping it alive.

And even with their modest systems I'm sure they can discern good sounding albums from bad sounding albums.... but.... are they experts as they may "pretend" to be?? Not my call. I just watch to see what people are listening to, and get insight on new albums I may not have known existed. Or I find it quite entertaining that some 23 year old (younger than my daughter) is into the same music as I am - and is listening to classic rock, jazz, blues, etc - when my daughter just wants to know why I listen to music that is so OLD. LOL - even though I listen to a lot of new music as well.

CBackley likes this.
  16. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

No. Actually, the LP is fine. It was just Side 1/2 labels on Sides 3/4. I think they were too embarassed to require a return for that.

17. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Now that we are getting Eagles One Step(s)… Does anyone else think we will get other One Step surprises like the Eagles ? :)

SpinIt likes this.
  18. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

the Police would be great! :agree:

timzigs, Guss2, Twinsfan007 and 3 others like this.
  19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I'm a fan, have all their 70's studio LP's in early vintage form.....but other than HC, I just don't get releasing at this price point.

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The bass bloom was also something I noted as well. I had had the Rhino reissue from a few years back. That could sound harsh and brittle at times, an ear bleeder, so I returned it. I prefer the OneStep in comparison, as the midrange is really good, but there has to be a better sounding pressing somewhere out there.

21. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

I also have audiophile releases in my collection which sound stunning, and other audiophile releases which sound “meh”, even if I have absolutely nothing to compare them to. Am I incapable of judging what sounds good and what doesn’t sound good too my ears? You tell me.

Michael does very, very often say things like: sorry, I have nothing to compare it to, but to me it sounds great/ok/not so great. I don’t think he claims very often that “this or that is the best sounding release of this record ever”. He does however have an opinion on originals versus recent audiophile releases, based on what he is able to compare. All fair enough.

I really think some people on this forum make up things about Michael which he actually never really claims to be, nor is. I like his show, and it definitely helps me to pick worthwhile audiophile releases…”before it’s too late.” :D

Having said that, although he probably wouldn’t declare himself an influencer, I do believe that he is one, and with him other vinyl Youtubers play a big role in hyping and price hikes.

A quick disclaimer. I was also brainwashed in the 90’s with the CD hype. See what hypes can do…I’m back to vinyl since 2009. One could argue that I’m part of the mob that kicked off the revival. So take my opinion for what’s worth it :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    ultron9, Mazzy, Boots71 and 5 others like this.
  22. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

:buttkick: That is my wife giving me a $525 kick in the ass.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Problem is every One Step I have is better than any other version I have heard if only by a small margin. If you hesitate you miss out so you have to pre order before the title is reviewed. It's an expensive gamble, but can you resist and risk missing out? I look at it this way. If you don't like it and/or mastering is not great you can sell it on at a good profit.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm not going to comment on Michael other than he's passionate about music and sound quality. I appreciate that.

Regarding commenting on something you have never heard before, well of course you have to have some reference. But your reference may be knowing intimately what the real instruments sound like. If you know what a drum kit sounds like live, in person, and you have heard a tenor sax close up; and then if you hear a recording that makes everything sound real and alive, it's okay to say, "Hey, this sounds amazing!"

Hearing a tremendous orchestral recording on a system that can easily reproduce it is a great experience. My reference is going to Symphony Hall and Jordan Hall in Boston, both great venues. My reference is also having played viola in orchestras as well as in chamber groups. I can certainly hear if the timbre is off or if it's spot on. I don't to hear multiple recordings to appreciate one that incredibly replicates an in-person experience. (And hearing this one person's system made me understand why one would have a large, dedicated listening room and spend well into five figures on the system.

So in one respect, one can surely remark on whether a recording is good or great or poor without hearing another pressing of the same record.

But anyone saying that a particular is pressing is "the best" is now inferring that their reference is other pressings (just as saying a particular performance is the best implies having heard others.). And in the world of records, some are collectors of performances and some are collectors of particular recordings. Those people are looking for comparisons in their reviews.

They are going to be looking for which previous pressings are your references. They're going to look at your equipment profile. They can better relate to the review this way.

And over time, readers can get a sense of your taste and perspective when you write, and whether they tend to agree with your assessments in the long run.

25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Good for you...and no debate on the resale value. Hard to lose.
    My sample size is small at three one steps, but only one of them would I call definitive.

4-2-7 likes this.