Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Not sure what you mean by this. The "original" MFSL only did Blondes Have More Fun. The early solo albums were Silver Label series by the "current" MFSL.

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I listened to both Eagle One-Steps yesterday, and I was very pleased. The S/T Eagles sounds better on my system than the MOFI SACD. Desperado may be my favorite Eagles album, and it sounded very good. Desperado is not the best sounding album out there, and I didn't compare the One-Step to anything else yet - but I was very happy with the One-Step. I'm not sure Desperado is an "audiophile" album by any means - so there is that to consider regarding the One-Step. Looking forward to seeing how the Mofi SACD will sound once that is released.

Cassius, Joti Cover, ultron9 and 3 others like this.
  3. I know Michael in Germany and he, like everyone else here, just posts and discusses his own personal take on these records; just ;like all of use here except on video. Are we experts? Not really, but we all have different experiences and after awhile, readers and viewers learn our different tastes and agree or disagree.

Michael has an amazing Einstein Sound system and really concentrates on brand new and mostly audiophile releases. He has very few, if any. original records. His take is just one opinion and he had the balls to start a YouTube channel and do his own thing in his own way.

I have as channel too and we are all simply showcing or own collections in our own way and spew out our individual opinions. Pretty much exactly like folks on these forums except with visuals and much longer winded. :tiphat:

4. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

He also goes out of his way to say that all things are his opinion. He also goes out of his way to explain that his primary viewpoint is as a collector. My primary viewpoint is as a listener. Sometimes his topics overlap these 2 mindsets. Sometimes they don't. I would also add that a LOT of so called experts are just ass-holes that have spewed non-sense for publications for years. Their expertise is slinging meaningless jargon ad-nauseum. The main thing is do you enjoy his approach to discussing the hobby? If not .. don't watch. There are MANY highly viewed VC channels that shock me that anyone watched more than 2 minutes of any given episode. So, I don't watch them. I like Michaels approach to discussing records and associated quality issues with the format. That interests me. And he almost always bases his opinion on something tangible that he explains. So I watch.

EDIT: err .. this looks like I'm addressing you Mazzy, it was really targeted at the quoted text. My bad.

5. Rocco1

Rocco1 Forum Resident

I happen to visit Michael and also Mazzy's You Tube channels regularly, along with In Groove Records (Mike) and occasionally Sonic Flare. I enjoy all of them and have discovered some music I may have otherwise overlooked. I believe it was Michael who first brought Tony Joe White's "Homemade Ice Cream" from Acoustic Sounds to my attention; really nice demo vinyl, IMO. Likewise I have found a lot of good music and pressing recommendations from fellow Hoffman forum members. I mean it is a subjective hobby, after all. There is no definitive authority. It is a community of music lovers. There have certainly been some misses along the way, but I enjoy the insight and passion for the music and the medium. Just my opinion...

6. Britto Vincent

Britto Vincent Forum Resident

Well said!

Mazzy likes this.
  7. teag

teag Forum Resident

Now that The Eagles are in a shipping mode, what title will be next? I realize they don't publicize this, but wondering if anyone has heard any rumblings. Rymin Simon?

8. Britto Vincent

I listened to the S/T Eagles One Step last night. It sounds very detailed. The soundsatge is quite remarkable on my system. I haven't listened to the Desperado One Step yet.

Juggsnelson, Dmann201 and ultron9 like this.
  9. teag

teag Forum Resident

What system?

ultron9 likes this.
  10. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Rumor is Pearl then Tapestry

Echoes Myron and teag like this.
  11. Britto Vincent

The system is:
    Denon DP-60L turntable
    Denon DL-160 MC cartridge
    Luxman E-200 phono stage
    Audio Research LS7 preamp
    Audio Research V70 power amp
    B&W Matrix 801 Series 3 speakers

12. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

I am spinning Desperado now after a cleaning on my Degritter. It sounds good on my rig and I’m enjoying the deep cuts that I usually overlook.

There is a slight warp on disc 1, but my VPI peripheral ring took care of that.

I’m noticing that you get a little more feel in the leading strum of the guitar, and more articulate cymbals (especially closed high hat, such as on Tequila Sunrise) than I’m used to hearing on these tracks. You can really hear deeper into the music.

The sides seem really short, though. Definitely more cardio than an evening of streaming.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Wait! What happened to the Slim Whitman Greatest Hit reissue?!?

14. Britto Vincent

I played the Desperado One-Step tonight. Like the S/T Eagles One-Step, it is very quiet, and the soundstage is very impressive. I've purchased all One-Steps since the Santana — Abraxas One Step release, and am pleased with both Eagles One-Steps. The only minor issue is that both outer sleeves of the Desperado are ripped on top. I may call Music Direct for a replacement of the jackets.

My system is:
    Denon DP-60L turntable
    Denon DL-160 MC cartridge
    Luxman E-200 phono stage
    Audio Research LS7 preamp
    Audio Research V70 power amp
    B&W Matrix 801 Series 3 speakers

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Agreed. I think it’s simply a way to justify the higher price. There is a lot of debate over whether there is any real sound quality difference and I think that alone shows that clearly it isn’t of much significance.

ILoveLucille and ultron9 like this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You know, that’s fair. I need to do a shootout and listen more to those attributes. Maybe I’m too focused on the sound itself instead of the over all presentation, like sound staging. It’s really difficult to de a fair shootout because almost always the 45 is mastered by someone different than the 33, and usually pressed somewhere else, which obviously makes a shootout nearly pointless. I only own one 33 and 45 mastered by the same person and pressed at the same plant and the shootout was inconclusive for me personally. Usually we don’t really have a choice anyway.

Yukon Cornholio likes this.
  17. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

AnalogJ likes this.
  18. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

have you done the 45 versus 33 Rumours-same mastering, right? perfect test case?

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Unfortunately, it didn't arrive. Elvis got waylayed, I guess.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Well there goes the rest of my day. :cussing:

AnalogJ and 4-2-7 like this.
  21. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Above is a very bias opinion, he tends to put information he knows as a leading factor if a record sounds good. If some of those 5 criteria points are not present he will say the record is bad. This leads people to not buy a great many very good records. In my opinion, what he looks for in a good record is mostly Myth I hear a lot of from noobs online.

He is being an "Influencer" and telling people what sound good and bad depending if it tick some of the boxes he's bias to. It's no wonder Chad Kassem and Kevin Gray gave him an interview, he helps sell their product.

I know you do, I'v seen lots of your vids. I have never seen you talk about sound quality or tell people to buy or not to buy specific new records. You talk about music, the history, memorabilia and nostalgia, the enjoyment you get from collecting and the music. You're a music encyclopedia at least for the music you like and grew up with.

I brought this comment in you quoted when a member ask someone stating a record sound fantastic, they said "compared to what?" That's important IMHO and for me I have to listen to different pressings and make my own opinion based on what I hear.

I have said to members saying it's crazy how such and such title, or a specific label sells out and the OOP record escalates in price. Those dam flippers are ruining the hobby, I say no, it's us who are talking about how good a record is that makes it in demand. Yes these threads we are participating in sell records, or pushes up prices for OOP titles. People research records hopping someone else can guid them to "The Best Copy"

The difference here and having coherent threads, it's a open discussion with a variety of opinions. One can read it, see who looks like they know what they are talking about as well as a general consensus.

A Youtube vid is not, any comment below it is basically lost and has no weight. Not to mention the fact, the one who has the Channel can block you. They can block anyone who blows holes in their "Opinion" after all who want's to look like an idiot on their own channel.

Now I hope we can all drop this as it was just my opinion and example to an individual member question, "Compared to What?" It's what I see a lot of, lack of comparing and just a ton of opinions based on mythical bias from reading on the internet, you can't hear writing.

22. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Unless Kevin Gray has negotiated some amazing contract I don't think he gets points on sales.

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Not the point.

Taking nothing away from KG's ability here, the point is the more his LPs sell, the more in demand he is. So if the hype on these videos helps sell more, he would ultimately benefit.

24. I don’t know anyone ( of the people I know) who have blocked any negative comments. I’ve only ever blocked three people and that’s because of misogynistic racist comments. Different opinions are always welcome but do get lost unlike here.

still I always want people to listen for themselves. I stress that when I can and commented more after all the Tone Poet warble discussions. We know a bunch of folks have problems and seem to try to steer others away from those titles. I don’t and have felt that listeners should try themselves first hand.

I enjoy Michael’s videos but I personally would be stifled only buying and listening to new audiophile style releases. But his showcasing of them offers something better than a friggen shipping thread. :tiphat:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Jivy, Juggsnelson, jmcecil and 2 others like this.
  25. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

Thanks.