Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. violarules

violarules Senior Member

This one is funny, too, considering the BOTW is now one of the most sought-after OneSteps. Guess he should have ordered one when they increased the production to 7500...

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm curious, but I did leave myself on the regular Pearl 45rpm list after dropping myself from the OneStep one.

3. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Did you end up selling your Mofi BOTW? I'd never part with mine... definitive version of the album, imho.

Drew769 likes this.
  4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Not yet. I still might. My Classic Records 33 is buried somewhere. I still want to do a comparison.

I haven't been able to play anything due to my integrated amp still not back from repair.

5. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

I've lost what's going on, but I have yet to have anything from Music Direct ship in forever. Has everyone shifted to pre-ordering at Mofi direct?

Recordguy likes this.
  6. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

No. What did you preorder from MD?

7. Recordguy

Recordguy Forum Resident

I’ve received my Eagles One Steps from Music Direct, so they are currently shipping. I ordered from Mofi as well & Mofi shipped first.

Joti Cover and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. Rocco1

Rocco1 Forum Resident

So we finally get the Pearl One Step in a couple of weeks. Personally I’m still excited to add that to my collection. One would assume that would be the final One Step for 2021? Who knows in these times of wonky supply chain and logistic nightmares. Maybe after Pearl MFSL can begin a repress campaign for some long overdue back catalog. Speaking of catalogs the Music Direct 2022 should be released in about a month. As an unapologetic audiophile geek and vinyl lover I crack that baby open like a kid on Christmas morning. Of course you must temper your enthusiasm with the sobering thought that new 2022 MFSL announcements could always be a year or more away from actual release, or in some cases never. Still, it’s one of life’s small pleasures to pour through the MD catalog over a cup or two of coffee on a Saturday morning.

9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I love the annual MD catalog! Takes me back to my childhood.

Cassius, Dignan2000, MWebb and 6 others like this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Both of my Eagles titles have slight pressing defects on one of the disks. The first LP in each set is pressed very slightly off center, with the center hole being slightly larger and one edge being thinner than the other side. I have seen this from time to time over the years, and know that if you slide the record to one edge of the spindle hole the playing area will be centered. So sound is not affected (and in fairness, these are great sounding records), but it sure ain't perfect. Wonder if I should ask for replacements . . . . . .

bmh5879 likes this.
  11. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...all the one steps. And yet, still waiting.

Also still waiting for a replacement for my buggered Paul Simon disc.

Joti Cover likes this.
  12. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I would if you feel dissatified with the product since these are pretty expensive. Go through Music Direct, should be no problem receiving a replacement.

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

You’ll have to listen for yourself as they are indeed different. I have the Classic 45 rpm and the One Step. To my ears, the Grundman sounded . . . I wouldn’t say “better”, but the EQ is closer to how I want the music to sound. I feel the same way about the Classic Records Tapestry. It doesn’t have the clarity of the MOFI. I just like the sound that Grundman from original tapes on his work with Classic Records.

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I purchased my Eagles titles from Music Direct. The jackets were in great shape - there were no seam splits, which I am accustomed to seeing when ordering direct from MOFI - might just be luck; I forgot to inspect the packaging carefully. I preordered these on day one and was not charged until shipment. When ordering directly from MOFI, I have usually had my card charged at the time of order.

15. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Since when was the Tapestry One Step released? Or was there and earlier Mofi release of Tapestry?

16. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Carole King - Tapestry

Drew769 likes this.
  17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes, in 2013. The vinyl was mastered by Kreig Wunderlich, who is doing the One Step . SACD by Britton and Loverde. Both are good but very different from the Grundman Classic.

18. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I can't wait till 2023 to get my Hotel California One Step

OptimisticGoat, Recordguy and 4-2-7 like this.
  19. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

umm yes definitely at that price point. These labels have to realize the more expensive they make this stuff the higher the expectations are.

formu_la, Recordguy, Tullman and 2 others like this.
  20. Yukon Cornholio

Yukon Cornholio Forum Resident

At the end of the day, it is all personal preference. I am the opposite. I compared the Classic to the 1 Step and prefer the one step. Overall, I found the sound very close, but I prefer the detail and wider soundstage of the one step.

Cassius likes this.
  21. Britto Vincent

Britto Vincent Forum Resident

I went to Cosmos Records and Rotate This on Saturday. I wanted to go to Sonic Boom and Kops on Sunday, but I was very much tied up, so I couldn't go. Rick's Recollections was closed on Sunday, so that didn't work either.

Here are the records that I purchased:

Rotate This
    Bud Powell – The Scene Changes, Vol. 5, Music Matters, 180g, 33 RPM, May 12, 2015 reissue
    Miles Davis – 'Round About Midnight, MFSL, Mono, 180 gram, 33 RPM, 2013 reissue
    Frank Sinatra – Sinatra Swings, MFSL, 180 gram, 33 RPM, 2011 reissue
    Art Pepper – So In Love, Analogue Productions, 45 RPM, 2-LP reissue
    Frank Sinatra – Sinatra & String, MFSL, 180 gram, 33 RPM, 2009 reissue
    Pink Floyd ‎– The Dark Side Of The Moon, Harvest ‎– SMAS-11163, Canada, 1973 issue
    Free Large T-shirt

Cosmos West Records
    John Coltrane ‎– My Favorite Things, Atlantic ‎– P-7505A, Japan, Nov 25, 1976 reissue
    Big John Patton – Oh Baby!, Blue Note – BLP 4192, Mono, 1965 first press
    Freddie Hubbard – The Night Of The Cookers - Live At Club La Marchal, Volume 2, Blue Note – BLP 4208, Mono, 1966 first press
    Stanley Turrentine – Hustlin', Blue Note – BLP 4162, Mono, 1965 first press
    The Three Sounds – Moods, Blue Note – BLP 4044, Mono, 1960 first press

22. Rocco1

Rocco1 Forum Resident

In the event that it hasn’t been posted recently the Tapestry One Step is available for pre-order again at Music Direct.
    Carole King - Tapestry (Limited Edition UltraDisc One-Step 45rpm Vinyl 2LP Box Set)
    Assuming the Mo-Fi email from October 22 was accurate some could see their copy of Pearl shipped later this week, early next?
    As much as want these One Steps I’m really looking for the re-presses of Blonde On Blonde, Nashville Skyline and I Robot. All 3 way too expensive on the secondary market.

23. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

Wow, so it isn’t too late baby, no it’s not too late!

Recordguy, Joti Cover and Rocco1 like this.
  24. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

25. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

Wow, thanks! As a side note, Music Direct still has the MOFI pressing of this on regular vinyl priced at $125!! They said it’s elevated because MOFI sold out and these are their final copies. I hope that doesn’t become a trend where Mofi goes first and then MD charges 4x more (the other MOFI on regular vinyl was 35.99 originally).

bmh5879 likes this.