Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. PabloFanques

PabloFanques Forum Resident

To be clear DAA. And yes, real info

The X800 was around the same time. It had 32 tracks, and recorded to tape.

I can certainly ask if the equipment is of major importance here if Jimbo remembers, that is.

I just thought I would inject some actual knowledge of the recording to the thread

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Dmann201 likes this.
  2. PabloFanques

It is the master file. They are recorded directly to tape just using a digital board is all. Some of that stuff sounds great, some did not. But I see your point. I'm kind of an AAA snob. I would rather the 1/2" reel than a DAT tape. From memory MOFI did a nice job with Nightly. I think the Clapton release will benefit, especially if it's fresh

4-2-7 likes this.
  3. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

If the Clapton Unplugged sounds a lot better than its standard Redbook release, it should be quite something. IMHO, even the Redbook is superb from a SQ perspective ( well I like the music as well). I have used the redbook CD for years as a demo disc and many folks have been more than impressed with the SQ.

4. PabloFanques

Update RE Clapton Unplugged: Jimbo says it was a X880/800. So there you have it.

Not like it was recorded with protools and chopped up with auto tune and quantized.

Twinsfan007, ETSEQ, MedozK and 2 others like this.
  5. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I have to disagree because I'm not going off of my opinion or personal collection. I'm referring to sales (both past and current trends). The albums I referred to were:
    • Dark Side of the Moon 40+ million copies
    • Led Zeppelin IV 37 million copies
    • Ziggy Stardust 7.5 million copies
    • Paranoid 5 million copies
    The MoFi 1 Step albums I compared them to were:
    • Carole King Tapestry 13 million
    • James Taylor Greatest Hits 11 million
    • Paul Simon Still Crazy After All These Years RIAA Gold Certified (less than 1 million copies)
    I have to add that the copies sold from James Taylor, Carole King and Paul Simon are weighted by sales in the 70's. The artists/titles I mentioned as possibilities are still seeing significant sales across all formats but especially vinyl. These albums are bridging generations much more than the likes of James Taylor, Paul Simon, etc. I'm not saying James Taylor, Paul Simon, and Carole King are terrible artists or didn't significantly contribute to music. I own the Carole King MFSL and was one of the few people to purchase the RSD live version of Tapestry. There's a lot of flippers stuck with those copies and I don't understand why. Her performance is remarkable. Where are the Carole King fans and why didn't they snatch these limited edition records?

Regardless, a comment was made that the list I provided as great One-Step releases would be poor choices musically. I'm defending that list not off of opinion but with data (including trends). BTW... I'm not a huge fan of all those titles. I love Ziggy Stardust and Black Sabbath and would probably buy 2 copies each as a UD1S. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd? They're great but just ok for me. Those certainly wouldn't be my top choices.

You doubt those wouldn't sell better as MoFi One-steps than Paul Simon, James Taylor and Carole King? I find that hard to believe based on data.

Vinylfindco and Boots71 like this.
  6. Yukon Cornholio

Yukon Cornholio Forum Resident

IMO, if we are ever going to see another AAA release of Led Zeppelin, it will be an AP UHQR. Like Miles, they will be able to produce the record without the masters. Like the Beatles, Zeppelin's tapes are likely stored to survive a nuclear blast and will rarely see the light of day. However, with artists selling all their song catalogues and tapes, I am hoping the desire for a high ROI will make access a little easier for companies like MoFi. However, it could do the opposite.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Dmann201 likes this.
  7. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

Every One Step to date has sold out and will sell out. MOFI doesn’t need any help there. The One Steps should be a celebration of a diverse selection of music presented in the best ever sound. It should not be a classic rock playlist. Many of them have already been treated to archive and reissue campaigns as well as multiple audiophile releases. You’re trying to make a case that Carole King, Paul Simon, and James Taylor are less worthy because of overall album sales and implied that they are lesser music. Coincidentally all three are similar musically. This is a clear genre bias and no genre should be exempt.

trumpetplayer likes this.
  8. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

AP is able to produce the record without the masters because bought the lacquers and the stampers from Classic Records (all C.R. catalogue).In fact AP is proposing again all C.R. Titles .
    I have the AP UHQR Kind of Blue and the Classic Records on Clarity Vinyl 200gr Kind of Blue and are the same.
    One only difference that the AP is dished.

9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The Reprise release on 2LP 45rpm vinyl is excellent.

Classicrock, Rocco1 and Johan1880 like this.
  10. AnalogJ

"No genre should be exempt"?? Well, then, bring on the African throat singers OneStep!

CBackley, Munger74, Arknine and 2 others like this.
  11. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I agree with everything you stated except that I’m saying Carole King, Paul Simon and Jane’s Taylor are less worthy. That’s what you’re projecting and exactly what you did when I suggested other artists in an earlier post (you said something about them being less musically deserving).
    This isn’t a good/bad or wrong/right conversation for me. Who would be so foolish to project what everyone should listen to?

This is the last time I’ll say it: MoFi has catered to certain genres and it would be great if they would (or even could) open it up to titles that span better across all generations. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and others seem to do that a whole lot better than the current 1 Step catalog. And again, HUGE KUDOS for them releasing Eagles and Van Halen. I hope there is more of that and these aren’t one offs. There certainly is a bigger market for them based on figures. You can’t deny their demand.

12. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

What about some Queen one steps ? That would be fantastic .

CBackley, bmusic, Twinsfan007 and 8 others like this.
  13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Do you ever go back and re-read what you wrote and ask yourself ..."did I actually type that?"

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Troyh, Bobsblkwax, 4-2-7 and 4 others like this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Says who? You? Gimme a break.

I don't give a toss about rap, hip-hop, or pop, and am interested in some of the selections but don't feel the need to bash other artists or other people's tastes when what's announced doesn't align with my own preferences.

What a concept. :rolleyes:

4-2-7 and formu_la like this.
  15. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

I think it’s 33rpm and yes it’s excellent.

Greenmonster2420 and MedozK like this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I didn’t see those four specific titles. I missed that post. Considering those four titles, I agree with you. Big U.K. sourced titles like those are impossible for MFSL to license, not to mention getting master tapes. This is why we’re getting mostly American artists that have master tapes in California from MFSL.

JRose likes this.
  17. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

I just preordered Bitches Brew from MD. This will be my first One Step. I probably already have too many copies of this album, but I couldn’t resist.

18. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Unplugged is 33rpm and is excellent indeed. I Still Do was AAA at 45rpm.

19. Andrew Johnston

Andrew Johnston Forum Resident

20. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

At the time we where talking about this, the high sale price was $2,727.27 for a sealed copy with a seam split. There was only one copy listed for sale, another sealed copy listed as Mint for $3,200 and it sold two days ago, so we have a new Discogs high price.
    2022-01-14 Mint (M) Mint (M) $3,181.82 €2,800.00
    Comments: FACTORY SEALED
    Journey – Escape (Vinyl)
    This might be the highest price for a MFSL record, @Jrr, maybe you and I talking about the sound quality helped sell it
    • Last Sold:
      Jan 15, 2022
    • Lowest:
      $355.68
    • Median:
      $676.05
    • Highest:
      $3,181.82

Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon (1981, Box Set)
    UHQR Vinyl Series
    • Lowest:
      $701.44
    • Median:
      $1,622.79
    • Highest:
      $2,999.00
    Santana – Abraxas (2016, Vinyl)
    UltraDisc One-Step

• Lowest:
      $863.31
    • Median:
      $2,000.00
    • Highest:
      $2,395.00
    Even The Beatles – The Collection has really jumped in price, and the last highest sold was still sealed in the shipping box
    2021-11-16 Mint (M) Mint (M) $3,150.00 $3,150.00
    Comments: Factory sealed in outer cardboard box (with MFSL shipping tape). I bought this new in Feb. '83 from my local audio dealer - never opened the box (I have an open copy). Shipping label shows Jan. 19, '83 date, which should put it well within the first pressing of 5000, not the later pressing of 20,000. Will double box and ship UPS/FEDEX insured free.
    The Beatles – The Collection (1982, Vinyl)
    • Lowest:
      $1.10
    • Median:
      $909.09
    • Highest:
      $3,150.00

21. AnalogJ

Oh, sorry. I could be wrong. I haven't listened to it in a while. But I also have the original single disc, and the double-disc is SO much better!

22. Prince John

Certainly in the case of the Beatles set at least it’s a matter of collectibility vs for sound. The only thing this illustrates is “a fool and his money”. Putting that $3K into original UK pressings would be the common sense thing to do.

23. AnalogJ

At $3k, you'd be right. But at $1000, you'd have a hard time getting all 10 LPs in NM condition that sounded so good.

24. Prince John

If you’re just making sure to get -1/-1 stampers and not worrying about specific labels and such on them, it can be done for under $1000, easy.

25. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Sealed mint like that Collection sold as.