Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Yea find that ironic as I see a pattern of the accuser just ending nearly every argument being confrontational and that the other person is so terribly wrong and has no clue and then just posts a picture of the system as a cop out for those who dare question thy Holiness. Ego running rampant on some parts of these forums

2. killerofgiants

killerofgiants Forum Resident

More money than intelligence and social skills it seems like.

DavidJ, violarules and brucej4 like this.
  3. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

So, what I am getting from this and similar threads is:
    • We all have different hearing which may affect our perception of sound;
    • Any system, regardless of price, is going to sound different from another system, whether it's because of equipment, room, sources, or the listener;
    • Therefore, different systems will reproduce the same album differently;
    • An expensive reissue can be the best possible version of that album, and still not be "demonstration-quality;"
    • Not every copy of a given vinyl release is going to be identical, due to the nature of the production process - some will have audible flaws;
    • Plenty of people with relatively modest systems are getting as much or more enjoyment from their records as those with higher-end equipment.
    Did I miss anything? ;)

4. Placebo Effect: When you pay more you believe it's always better (rightly or wrongly) :tiphat:

audiotom, pinkrudy, mikemoon and 7 others like this.
  5. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Yep, forgot that one...:p

Mazzy likes this.
  6. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Does an all McIntosh system make you a McIntosh fanboy?

7. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Anyone else received the Tapestry one step? Would love to read some more reviews. I ordered mine late through AS so it will likely be some time before it gets shipped.

Dmann201 likes this.
  8. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Listened again to my copy of PIJ last night. The bass is actually quite realistic IMO. While I can see that if your system is not able to portray deeper clean bass, this could be perceived as a 'goosed' up album in this regard. However, while the bass is very good on this album, the overall recording as to the placement of instruments and the piano sound does leave a little to be desired. Not my best sounding One Step, but an enjoyable listen nonetheless.

Dmann201 likes this.
  9. No. It makes you a doctor, lawyer or heir to one :tiphat:

10. Terry

Terry Senior Member

AS?

11. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Are you sure you need to wonder?

lpjock, cmcb, CBackley and 1 other person like this.
  12. Yukon Cornholio

Yukon Cornholio Forum Resident

Mine arrives tomorrow. The kid has wrestling matches Friday night and Saturday. May be awhile before I get to it.

13. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

It's hilarious how many opinions on this forum are passed off as factual. Nearly everything in this hobby is entirely subjective.

audiotom, cmcb, FashionBoy and 3 others like this.
  14. Rocco1

Rocco1 Forum Resident

Dmann201 and FashionBoy like this.
  15. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Mazzy, you made my day :) Thanks!!!

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Waiting patiently to do my “shoot out”, but it needs to travel quite a few miles to get here, so I’m just getting ready. . .

[​IMG]

grx8, audiotom, Dmann201 and 3 others like this.
  17. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

i know nothing...and have been extremely happy for 63 years! Woohooo!

Tullman, thxphotog and thecomposer10 like this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Nice! I realize it’s beed done and redone, but it would have been nice to get this on a One Step. “Telegraph Road” is a gorgeous sounding track, and I bet it would sound even more amazing on quiet “SuperVinyl”.

Dmann201, Adamski777, Tullman and 3 others like this.
  19. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Exactly the way I feel.

20. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

21. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Forum Resident

My order from Mid May was just filled so you might have made the cut. Check your order status to see if it's listed as shippable. Credit card was charged First thing this morning and shipping notification just came. Best of luck!

22. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I just got a shipping update email!

Bigdz68 likes this.
  23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

So…you guys like One Steps? :help:

DavidJ likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Here's what one of my good buddies wrote to me.

"Ok so, I just listened to the first side (3 songs), and I have not directly compared this to anything else. I am in agreement with most everyone. The pressing itself is flat and dead quiet. I am not bothered by the low end, in that it isn't overly boomy for me, but what I don't like is the fact that the actual bass guitar seems to get lost, and is much less punchy than I recall. I'll need to grab the 33 MOFI and compare. I will say that the instrument separation is pretty amazing. There were quiet passages in "So Far Away" where I had no idea that James Taylor was plucking away at the guitar, so that surprised me (and I know this album pretty well). Also, I really like the fact that in "I feel the Earth Move", Carole's panned left piano part is much stronger--almost as if she's slamming on the keys--which is exactly how it should be, in my opinion. Towards the end of "It's Too Late", the electric guitar mirrors the piano melody (which I knew), but you really can hear both instruments playing together. Her vocals are nice and centered, too. I don't mind the occasional overloading, either."

Dmann201 likes this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Maybe it's the room. 4-2-7's room appears to have no room treatments. Big empty plaster walls and corners. IME, bass challenges rooms more than any other frequencies. Of course the intregration of speakers into the room matters too.

I don't think Wunderlich uses much if any compression. Compression is why some posters prefer OG pressings. Compression covers up pressing flaws. controls the bass, and brings everything up in the mix. Steve's eq on Tres Hombres has glorious bass a plenty. I don't think Steve used much compression on this title. I listened to the Classic Records version of Led Zeppelin's Presence. The 26" kick bass is hot and very much present in the mastering, not unlike a Wunderlich eq. Bernie Grundman's Presence master really flowed through my speakers and room. Wow! I haven't heard this through my current system until the other night. Big difference from the old system.

Let's face it. If the mastering engineer doesn't use much if any compression the bass will have more dynamics. The level of bass is in the mix, the mastering engineer can only control the eq or compress it. It's fair to say Wunderlich's masterings have more bass extension. Also, if one compares Wunderlich's masterings from track to track, some tracks have more bass than others, which indicates mix choices and not necessarily eq choices. Let's not forget the bass is also eq'd in the mix.

Exactly. I have gone through different several system iterations, and records that used to sound blah, now sound fantastic.