Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Smart people: "If I had a time machine I'd go back and meet my ancestors or stop a World War"

Me: "If I had a time machine I'd go back to 2013 and buy MOFI Beck Sea Change for $39.99"

2. Dartman

Dartman Stones Fan

If I had a time machine I'd go back and buy TWO Santana One Steps instead of just one....

3. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Me: I would go back to 2013 and buy 3 copies. One to play, one to display and one just in case."

AFA likes this.
  4. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

I have no familiarity with Tapesty, but the One Step sounds very good to me. Smooth and 'natural' sounding, if lacking a little detail, particularly on the percussion, which is somewhat buried. The vocals sound great.

FashionBoy likes this.
  5. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

If I had a time Machine I would have grabbed my Santana One Step instead of my dog in the 2017 fire
    ... not really

Ryan Bedlack and GarySteel like this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Good luck with that. I find this forum to be the equivalent of holding your AA chapter meeting at the local tavern.

Next round’s on me!

7. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

Acoustic Sounds has pages up for the VH SACDs, no release dates though

8. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

This is roughly the same complaint that is constantly made about Chad Kassem on the Verve/Impulse jazz thread. People seem to be more concerned about what they're not getting than what they are getting. It's hard to please everyone, so I can't blame the labels for not taking too many chances.

9. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

Imagine if we did get what we wanted…we would then complain that it is too expensive to buy so much. Well…ok…that may just be me seeing as so many buy all the one steps regardless.

10. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

Well it doesn’t help when they clog up the one step catalog with multiple album discographies of a single artist at one time. Buyers like me have to wait for the Van Halen and Eagles albums to be flushed out for other worthy titles to be announced and released.

11. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

And the unopened Classic Records stack? ;-0

4-2-7 likes this.
  12. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I have a very revealing upper end system

I have found that MOFI has went a little too forward in the bass end and sometimes details in highs on a number of One- Step releases

I have also played them on 6 of my audiophile club friends systems - same results

The comment that you gave the person hearing too much bass on his system being a problem with his stereo doesn’t measure up.
    He was giving an honest opinion of what he heard
    It’s system dependent - the whole synergy and room. And ears for that matter.

I’ve heard modest systems nail the sound

IMHO.
    It is the opposite of there being a problem with his system

Also it’s musical preference.
    If one prefers a driving bass on a Carole King album - and finds that exciting, well..

MOFI is making these pop a little, sometimes goosed up in detail as well.
    The balance of instruments is not always ideal
    On a neutral and resolving system this might be too much of a “good” thing

I am curious what studio monitors they used

These are not gross differences - but they are there
    They may enhance the sound on many speakers

From my own experience I can pick out where Mofi’s choices leaned on the side of over emphasizing things
    Is it glaring, no. But it’s a missed opportunity to refine the sound

MikeT, 4-2-7 and AFA like this.
  13. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

13:31
    On the Classic Release by Grundman

“The instruments sound less in your face”

14. May 2010 Amazon had Live in Gdańsk vinyl Box at $92.13 usd, I pushed the buy button and paid quickly. No shipping & no tax then.

JorgeGvb likes this.
  15. Which titles in particular do you feel that way about?

FashionBoy and Juggsnelson like this.
  16. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Mofi One Steps

A little too bass heavy
    Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
    Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
    Carole King Tapestry

Probably something else I am forgetting

Monk’s Dream and Mingus Ah Um are perfect sound

Simon and Garfunkel Bridge over Troubled Water is a poor recording until the last couple “less tape degraded tracks

17. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Interesting, much envy coming out is some post yesterday, I pity the ones that live their life like that.

18. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Do you see an all McIntosh system?
    I don't.........
    However I'm a fanboy of some mac equipment as well as a fanboy of...
    SOTA Turntables
    Sumiko Blackbirds, & Sumiko Cartridges in general
    SME Series 309, IV & V
    VAC Power Amps
    Some JBL Speakers Like the L250 & Martin Logan

As far as being a Fanboy of a mastering engineer? none. But some I like more than others, and in this day and age it's getting very small as to who is still doing it.

19. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I laughed out loud when I heard the bass on the MFSL Tapestry

MikeT, GentleSenator, AFA and 2 others like this.
  20. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Well said
    I always say get in where you fit in, our stereos are just a tool to listen to music with, if it works it works and enjoy it.

As far as learning from others, yeah that's good when it's not about sound quality. I don't listen to others opinions on sound quality, we all have different systems and what we like. If I want to know what something sounds like I get it and listen for myself. Don't get me wrong, I like and read post of what other experience and compare to for sound quality. I like if they put an effort out and post what they think, but I'll still have to form my own opinion.

I think my fist post in this thread was around the time Marvin's WGO title came out. The funny thing was many post where complaining about how boomy this title was. I said it was also with some of my speakers, but I also said I'm fortunate enough to be able to correct it having multiple speakers in my system, not everyone can do that.

So yeah it's pretty pathetic when some hold a brand or a person as not having any faults and refuse to see them. I'd swear reading some of these post by some that they get paid by MFSL to protect their interest.

21. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

One other thing I wanted to mention about the Tapestry release is how impressed I am with the cover image. Clean, flawless, a bit darker than other releases, and a high resolution look to it.

grx8 likes this.
  22. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I'd pick up at least 10 copies of The Beatles in Mono box sets for $250 each:D

23. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yeah, that's one I don't have in the Classic Records, maybe some day.
    Oh but you're wrong, have you checked your hearing, your system is at fault, it has to be something other than the record you put on............:righton:

24. I don’t have any of the titles you mention as bass heavy. I agree that Monk and Mingus are absolutely top notch, as well as S&G not being the best recording quality. I still really enjoy that one though, personally.

What pressing of Village Vanguard do you prefer? The One Step seems to be pretty well regarded by most folks here.

25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

SATVV too bass heavy?? Wow, I'm terribly surprised. Have you heard the AP 45 done by Hoffman and Gray? Its bass is bigger than the MoFi OneStep, though not as extended. The OneStep's bass is both leaner and deeper in my system. Certainly leaner.

So your finding is a head scratcher for me.

I'm guessing your system must also be tuned quite different than mine.

Anyway, I like your career occupation. Very cool.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    FashionBoy likes this.