Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Let's face it, Mo-Fi jumped the shark a long time ago.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  2. Rocco1

Rocco1 Forum Resident

I’m still very interested in MoFi releases but on a case by case basis, AAA or otherwise. However I just picked up three Vinyl Me Please LPs including the Blonde On Blonde mono. All were AAA, flat, quiet vinyl, no seam splits, heavy jacket, yadda, yadda yadda…for the same price as a single One Step. I could have added a 4th disc and about equaled a $150 UHQR. I’m sitting there listening to these VMP albums and repeatedly thinking to myself, damn this sounds great. The Dylan BOB also includes a larger size booklet and a nice art print. MoFi may want to seriously consider upping their game in 2023.

3. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Does anybody really believe that MoFi is jumping the shark with that Studer tape machine? That thing is so big it seems like they couldn’t get the elevation to clear the shark. And why wouldn’t they just use the transfers already available on the other side? Doesn’t pass the smell test for me…

Tullman likes this.
  4. Mansinthe86

Mansinthe86 Forum Resident

I wish they would make the DSD files of their Bob Dylan stuff available for purchase.

Crazysteve likes this.
  5. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I mean they put out SACDs sourced from the same DSD, it’s just got some mastering spice on it instead of being a flat DSD transfer

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  6. Mansinthe86

Mansinthe86 Forum Resident

Yeah but I don't want to bother with importing SACDs or buying overpriced imports (50€ for a 30$ SACD). But I would purchase DSD files for their full price.

7. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I would too. But wouldn’t they need to downsample them from their production masters’ resolution, like they do for the SACDs? I don’t think there are any commercial DACs available that would decode them operating at that high a bit rate. If there were or will be someday, their One-Step mastering process game is effectively over.

8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Does anyone really know their mastering chain for the SACDs?

For vinyl, the DSD256 transfer is used as the input to an analog console (where EQ is applied), which outputs to the lathe.

For SACDs, are they using the same (or an independent) analog console EQ, which is output to for a DSD capture? (no down-sample there, just an analog step)

Or they master the SACDs independently in the digital domain?

AFAIK, this has never been made clear.

For all the questions about transparency, the SACDs are still a mystery.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    mpayan likes this.
  9. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

Very interesting observation. And most likely correct since Norman remixed these again for the RSD and box set. Perhaps they removed the overdubs and used the Plangent Process for the speed and pitch corrections??
    According to what I have read only Mr. Charlie from Europe 72 contains no overdubs.

10. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

I know for sure that they wiped the original vocals of the version of Jack Straw released on Europe '72, but beyond that, I may have misremembered the extent to which they erased the original vocal tracks. The more I've thought about it, I think I was conflating the overdubs for Skull & Roses and those for E'72. David Lemieux has said that they were unable to release a complete set of the shows that became Ladies & Gentlemen... the Grateful Dead because the lead vocals for a bunch of songs were wiped but never re-recorded when they were putting together Skull & Roses.

Pelts and jgrillo like this.
  11. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

What we know is, that Mike Esposito said in one of his videos about his MoFi studio tour, that the SACDs are mastered in a different room than the vinyl, on a computer. This means, that the SACDs are not mastered on the analog console but in the digital domain. As you cannot EQ in 1-bit DSD, MoFi has to convert to a higher bit format that is or is similar to PCM for that. Then they have to convert to DSD 64 for producing the SACD. Even if they would do a flat transfer without EQing they would need to convert from DSD 256 to DSD 64.

12. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

What did you compare the MoFi with to come to this conclusion?

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Echoes Myron and bluesfan like this.
  14. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

15. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hurry!

timzigs and Beach House like this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I thought OOTN was already available.

bajaed likes this.
  18. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I got my copy months ago.

OE3 and Myke like this.
  19. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Either somebody made a mistake with the email, or the album isn't moving at all.

Myke likes this.
  20. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

They only printed so many due to the "rush" on Thriller (and maybe with nervousness over how many will sell) and they had to do a repress for some more copies.

Rocco1 and Myke like this.
  21. Myke

Thanks guys.
    Haven’t gotten anything new in 2 months and want my Hotel California.

Randy Goldberg likes this.
  22. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

OE3 and DeanoBee like this.
  23. Munger74

Munger74 Forum Resident

So they have done a Fonzy and jumped the shark with the shark being Hotel California.

24. Myke

Now the Facebook ad says “remaining copies.”

DeanoBee likes this.
  25. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

In 2011, Rhino released a box set of the entire tour called Europe ’72: The Complete Recordings. No information was provided regarding which live tracks were supplanted by overdubs performed in the studio after the tour. Sometimes Jeff Norman, the audio engineer, used the studio-dubbed vocals; in other cases he recovered the original live vocals. Some of the differences are obvious, some are only apparent when comparing to circulating tapes, and others can’t reliably be sussed out. Unless Norman wants to tell what he knows, we may never be able to untangle all of the details, and I suspect he has been sworn to secrecy.

Quoted from link here…

Grateful Dead Guide: The Europe '72 Overdubs (Guest Post)