Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I have no interest in either title, but a big fan of Kevin so we’ll see what the future holds.

2. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

New Rhino Audiophile series announced

3. mrob0000

mrob0000 Forum Resident

There is a big void left behind by the loss of Mobile Fidelity and Audio Fidelity in the full analog music reproduction space. Rhino is helping fill that void. Best of luck to them! I'll be a customer...

monovinyl, Uglyversal, bajaed and 4 others like this.
  4. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

Apparently there are four more Rhino Quadio titles coming… given how good the Chicago and Doobie Brothers Quadio box sets were, I’m rather keen to find out what they are…

formu_la likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A total assumption on my part, but given what Rhino is doing (and I wonder what took so long) I would bet the Warner family of labels may not be so keen on licensing out their music to audiophile labels going forward. I thought we would see in house audiophile divisions sooner than this. Will be interesting to see if Sony etc tightens up licenses. I know Sony is now issuing very impressive audiophile premium pressings in Japan, starting about a year ago. Would love to get the Bob Scaggs as my Japanese import from the 80’s is just okay and I haven’t heard a decent US. And of course the Friday Music isn’t even passable imo. I would be very nervous if I were Friday Music, MFSL etc.

jgrillo likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sounds like I went for the wrong title. I was not impressed with the Still Crazy One Step so I passed on this. It was pretty much the same as a good pressing I already had. Is this one better, for those that got both?

Freddy's Dead likes this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have a few Silvers. All are outstanding. Wouldn’t know they are a “step down” had it not been indicated as such.

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I’m exactly where you are! And have found typically the right original is better. Not always, but enough that that is how I roll. A bit expensive to figure it out, but I finally did.

audiotom likes this.
  9. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

As someone once sang, "Tell me more, tell me more". Have you got any more details on these? I've been buying a few items from Japan recently (mainly vintage releases) but would be interested in searching these out.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  10. mrob0000

mrob0000 Forum Resident

Jrr, the best Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees that I have found, believe it or not, is the CBS Mastersound Super Bit Mapped Gold CD. They did a great job on it, warm, balanced, frequency extension, dynamic, kicks butt, and is natural sounding. I have the MFSL Gold CD on this too and it is not in the same league. Maybe a future vinyl edition could grant additional ambiance, space and microcontrast to this title, but the Mastersound CD is so good, I doubt I would seek an upgrade

Jrr likes this.
  11. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

dusttones and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  12. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

I just purchased one through their Discogs account - we'll see. It was listed under the MoFi release

13. Rocco1

Rocco1 Forum Resident

DeanoBee likes this.
  14. Freddy's Dead

Freddy's Dead Forum Resident

I don't have the Still Crazy 1-step so can't comment.

My best 1-steps that are demos are:
    Abraxas
    Fragile
    BS&T
    Rhymin' Simon

Excellent but outdone by the 2011 Bellman, IMO which is much cheaper:
    Clapton Unplugged

Not great but good enough to keep IMO. Some songs sound very good, others, not-s0-much:
    CS&N

Sell pile:
    Texas Flood (partially because I've never really been a SRV guy, but gave it another shot. That said, I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news about the helicopter crash)
    Pearl - too bright

15. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

for me, demos:

Blood Sweat & Tears
    Eagles
    Blood on the Tracks
    Mingus Ah Um

excellent but there are better versions out there:

Tapestry

disappointing:

CSN
    Pearl

Freddy's Dead likes this.
  16. NorthernFusion

Ah, hopefully that means it’s the real deal then.

dusttones likes this.
  17. NorthernFusion

Pearl was too clinical compared to the regular 45rpm release imo, it loses its character as a result.

keylime_5 likes this.
  18. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I know this one has hiss issues but is it still worth grabbing? I’ve heard the pure pleasure version isn’t great either and I’d like a copy of this in my collection for reasonable price

19. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Ok, ok, you all convinced me to pull the trigger on the There Goes Rhymin' Simon 1-Step. Elusive Disk has it on sale for $114.99 with free shipping. This is my all time favorite Paul Simon album and I have a pretty clean original Lee Hulko pressing, but multiple people have mentioned that the 1-Step is demo quality. So, I could no longer resist.

20. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Despite the hiss I really enjoy it. I don’t think it’s a bad buy at $30 but haven’t looked into other versions in awhile.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  21. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

My very clean original Lee Hulko Sterling is far inferior to the One Step. The Hulko sounded compressed to me even before I received the One Step.

My original Hulko Hotel California is not as good as the original MFSL 33, either. Guess I just don't care for Hulko's work.

AnalogJ likes this.
  22. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

Mine arrived today - it was not the MoFi version. Appears to be the 2017 standard version? I'm not opening it, so I can't verify exactly.

23. NorthernFusion

That sucks. Mine has just been posted since it had a preorder in the same order.

I wonder how they let that slip through even on Discogs? Oh well, thanks for the heads up, at least I won't be surprised (albeit disappointed).

Have you reached out to them yet? I'm a bit disappointed that their 'confirmation' was more or less looking at the product page and seeing it listed as MoFi.

24. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

Yeah, I paid a few bucks more to have FedEx ship it. It surprisingly made it overseas unharmed in a cheap mailer and no tape. I've reached out via Discogs, but no response yet.

25. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

For what it's worth, they have always honoured any defect/wrong pressing I might have received.
    A couple of times they have actually refunded me without asking for the record back (and I live in Italy, so probably cheaper return shipping than from the US).

Joti Cover and dusttones like this.