Moby Grape – Dark Magic...and the Grape album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Apr 26, 2019.

1. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Great version, Arwen's vocals are right on the money - Peter sang this kind of flat on the first album.

lemonade kid likes this.
  2. ooan

ooan Forum Resident

Beautiful guitar and vocals ( Plantman eat your heart out )

3. ooan

ooan Forum Resident

How many more times ( oops ! ) can one say wonderful vocals and harmonies ?

EdColeman likes this.
  4. Ode to the Man

Ode to the Man Active Member

Hello. Carl Mosley and Andy Mosley are the same person. Me. My whole name was used on the label and Carl is a misspelling. You've put a lot of effort into this. Great detail.

lou and bzfgt like this.
  5. ooan

ooan Forum Resident

Who wrote this ?
    Who sand this ?

please

6. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Bob Mosley wrote it, it's on Wow.

7. ooan

ooan Forum Resident

Sorry , why is " Miller / Spence " after three - four ?

and why are they credited on the Wiki. " Wow " page ?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  8. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Thats a mistake; the album credits Mosely and Funky Tunk is Miller-Spence.

9. ooan

ooan Forum Resident

Thanks

10. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

1966-1967

Moby Grape Mom's Hot Apple Pie

"An alternate version of Moby Grape's 2nd album I made using "Wow/Grape Jam" and the unreleased tracks they recorded in 1967-1968."

1.He (Lewis) 2. Looper (Lewis) 3. Dark Magic #1 (Spence) 4. Boysenberry Jam #1 (Moby Grape) 5. Three-Four (Mosley) 6. Boysenberry Jam #2 (Moby Grape) 7. Funky-Tunk (Miller-Spence) 8. Boysenberry Jam #3 (Moby Grape) 9. The Lake (Moby Grape-M. Hayworth) Vocals Mosley 10. Boysenberry Jam #4 (Moby Grape) 11. Instrumental Rounder (Spence) this is the piece I'm most considering cutting 12. Boysenberry Jam #5 (Moby Grape) 13. Miller's Blues (Mosley-Miller) Vocals Mosley

zphage likes this.
  11. ooan

ooan Forum Resident

and two numbers on the Steve Paul scene

2 ) Sitting by the Window

and one from Monterey

lemonade kid likes this.
  12. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Moby Grape's first album (self-title) was such an amazing leap forward when it came out. Doing my daily Discogs collection random pick today, this is the one that came up and I played it straight through this evening. I don't listen to this one nearly as often as I once did but when I do, it always strikes me as how completely fresh and relevant this LP remains. What a phenomenal recording. Every song a winner. The musicianship, vocals, and harmonies, amazing. The recording so well done. My god, I love this album!
    [​IMG]

Uuan, Glenn coates, sharedon and 2 others like this.
  13. ooan

ooan Forum Resident

There is a story that Atlantic were supposed to have signed M.G.

Columbia then offered more money , and so got their signatures

Ahmet (?) said they had intended to release three singles at once so ...

14. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Columbia thought they had signed the next Beatles. The Beatles had placed five singles in the top 10 simultaneously, and Columbia thought Moby Grape could do the same thing. The flaws in that line of reasoning are apparent - the Beatles had already had a monster hit with Wanna Hold Your Hand and had appeared on Sullivan to great acclaim and high ratings three times. Moby Grape were unknowns. The singles competed with each other for airplay, ensuring none were hits.

challenge likes this.
  15. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

Is it / was it like Benolyn ?

16. lemonade kid

Yes, it would seem so...

"Over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicines are safe and effective when they’re used as directed. But taking too much of them -- on purpose or by accident -- can make you feel high. That can lead some people to abuse them.

Before the FDA outlawed codeine in cough medicines in the 1970s, OTC cough medicines created a cheap and effective high. A drug called dextromethorphan (DXM) replaced codeine in cough medicines. At very high doses, it can mimic the effects of illegal drugs like PCP and ketamine.

More than 125 OTC medicines sold to treat the symptoms of cough and colds have DXM. It’s in common brands such as Coricidin, Dimetapp DM, Nyquil, Robitussin DM, Robitussin CF, and Robitussin Cough and Cold, as well as store brands for cough and cold medicines."

Is My Teen Abusing Cough Medicine?

zphage likes this.
  17. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

Bad Mobys.

Cheers

lemonade kid likes this.
  18. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

Atlantic told Columbia if they had got the Grape they would have released 3 singles simultaneously

Glenn coates likes this.
  19. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

which means there is more film of the Mobys absolutely live than Buffalo Springfield !
    ( back in the sixties )

lemonade kid likes this.
  20. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Atlantic would have been a much better label for the Grape. They would not have had all that psychedelic nonsense on Wow.

21. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

That was rubinson's fault. they were a number of great producers at Columbia like John Simon and Al Kooper who would have been great for them. Personally, they should have gone with Elektra and could have had the Doors and Love's team.

lemonade kid and lou like this.
  22. lemonade kid

And Elektra would have put forth a much better band promotion without all the destructive 5 singles released at all once!

wayneklein and Glenn coates like this.
  23. lemonade kid

For those searching for more Moby, Peter lewis is a great addition to you Grape library. His 196 solo LP is wonderful.
    This is a must have if you can find it...

Peter Lewis with David West/Live In Bremen--it has 18 tracks.
    I have an extended 2 CD rarity if it with 27 tracks...email me for info.

Of note from his in between song rapping at the Bremen show, always enjoyable,
    Grape's "He" was written by Peter after his first acid trip:
    "About my first experience on LSD."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Glenn coates likes this.
  24. lemonade kid

It's a beautiful day today...indeed!

Bruso and Glenn coates like this.
  25. I wouldn’t put all of it 0n Rubinson’s plate. The Gape also made a decision to do some of the things they did musically. I still think Runbinson was a pretty good influence as a producer Wow aside. I do think they should have gone with a different label though. Not sure if Electra would have been ideal either—their work with The Doors was great but I always felt that, due to Arthur’s issues with touring, etc., that they kind of gave up on Love when The Doors exploded.

I do think that Electra would not have made the idiot move of putting out five singles. That was just idiocy.

as to another producer reining in their excess—hard to tell if that would have happened. It was the 60’s.

lemonade kid likes this.