Moby Grape - Sundazed / Katz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew J, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some people might know that when the label Sundazed tried to reissue the Columbia albums, it was threatened with a lawsuit by former manager Matthew Katz, who is notorious for suing people and throwing what weight he has around.

It was over the use of the artwork. Previously, a court ruling had gone in favour of Moby Grape, with regards to royalties and name, after the manager had potted the royalties for decades.

It seems that the move to stop Sundazed from releasing the records, so that Moby Grape stay out of print, was spiteful.

My query is - in this case it would seem justifiable to re-release the original albums in with new artwork - and in ways that would be some vindication? Is the original artwork essential to a re-release?

I wouldn't blame Sundazed for not wanting the hassle / time / energy. I'd have thought there were enough wealthy peers of Moby Grape still around, that might help out for a good cause.

Not expecting any specific answers, just putting it out there.

Revolver likes this.
  2. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Yeah, I've asked myself the same question. Don't really know the answer. I thought it was just the first LP that was pulled after Katz issued a warning though.

Andrew J likes this.
  3. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

New artwork would seem to cover it. Does he own their general 'image' from that time?

Andrew J likes this.
  4. Andrew J

Moby Grape on Sundazed

Just found this link from this forum. I should have looked first. Not sure this question is covered there yet.

5. Andrew J

The photo image of the band from the front cover of the first album is being used on Sundazed website, so it looks like that's not part of the 'artwork' ownership.

So, probably the graphic layout, fonts etc and maybe the logo - I'll see if I can find any info.

* edit Katz doesn't own the name, because in a previous lawsuit, that went in the band's favour.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They were allowed to sell off the albums they'd reissued, but not to press any more copies (Grape Jam remained available for years, but seems to be gone now).

They now have a live album and a rarities set that don't include the Grape logo, but do have band photos.

Andrew J likes this.
  7. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

New artwork was used for the re releases of the "It's A Beautiful Day" San Francisco Sound releases so it is definitely a possibility and been done. The one I have just has a plain black cover. I'm pretty sure Katz had the rights to those as well as Moby Grape.

Craig likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Strangely, on streaming sites the albums are up, with most (but not all) of the songs missing.

Revolver and astro70 like this.
  9. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Moby Grape ‘69 seems to be the only one that’s complete? I recall wanting to stream the albums before I had heard any and not being able to so I just bought used LPs of them as I found them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.