Modern Method for Quadraphonic CD-4 Setup using Sony-Pyle Receivers with Demodulator

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Challenger, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Challenger

Challenger Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm actually still using the Pioneer QX-747 with a Pioneer Turntable model PL-540 and a Pickering UV-2400Q CD-4 cartridge that I've had for more than 45 years. It's rated at 10-60,000 hertz, and still sounds almost as good as 1974! I posted about this setup several years ago. If any of you would like to get "Retro" taking yourself back into the seventies with Quadraphonic, here is how to do it.

I have another kind of different CD-4 setup in my living room. I'm running a Sony AV Receiver model STR-DN1040 with a 7-2 speaker/sub-woofer setup. That's great for regular full matrix and other surround-sound applications, but does not have provision for separate rear-channel speakers for discrete systems like CD-4 or 4-channel tape. So, I added a small stereo receiver from Pyle for running rear speakers. I also added a pair of dedicated speakers for the Pyle unit.

I obtained pretty robust CD-4 performance by hooking up an Audio Technicia AT-120 Professional Turntable with a "Grado" Red cartridge rated at 10-55,000 hertz. I ran that into a JVC Model 4DD-5 CD-4 Disc Demodulator (Stand-along) like the ones still selling on Ebay, and into the Sony front channels. The Pyle stereo receiver is handling the rear channels. I'm using matched KLH speakers for the Sony, and another dual KLH set for the Pyle Receiver, along with a KLH 120-Watt Sub-woofer for the Sony front speakers.

I get full CD-4 performance by switching the Sony to standard two-channel stereo during this procedure. One advantage is being able to use a sub-woofer for enhanced bass with four channel sessions. As an additional note; since these older Pioneer receivers don't have digital or optical audio outputs, I've already installed another KLH Sub-woofer for front-speaker/sub-woofer setup on the QX-747. It must be done using the Amplifier inputs and Speaker outputs on the sub-woofer. Make certain you install this only on the front speakers.

With this new "modern method" for quadraphonic audio, you will still enjoy all the advantages of the current surround setups, with all your speakers, plus the capability of playing CD-4, SQ and RM albums and four-channel tape if you wish! Make sure to ground all the components to a common ground in order to avoid possible "hum" or floating ground situation.

I even tried running all rear/surround speakers together with the CD-4 arrangement for some echo and reverb effects. If you want just the Quad sound, turn off the rear speakers for the main unit. My setup is really clean with the modern digital receivers. Let me know if you try this.

2. Challenger

How many old true Quadraphonic, especially CD-4, enthusiasts do we still have out there? If you wanted to get (back) into this retro discrete 4-channel audio arrangement, the only unusual component you need is a CD-4 Demodulator from JVC, Fisher, Sansui, Kenwood, Panasonic, Technic, Marantz, or Pioneer. That is...unless you find a really good original Quadraphonic receiver with builtin CD-4.

I'm enjoying the "modern" system I setup, as described above, because of pure audio quality compared with my much older Pioneer QX-747 setup. I'm not giving up the Pioneer setup either!

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Cool setup. Good on ya!

I've had continuous surround-something in my systems since the early 70s. Including CD-4 through the JVC demodulator to a Pioneer QX8000(?).

But I ditched vinyl in 00, never had reel-to-reel. So all digital now, working that poor little Oppo to death.

Newly-released Quad SACDs sound ridiculously great.

Enjoy!

4. Challenger

Great receiver! Funny thing about vinyl...it's made a comeback of sorts, but I'm not buying the new LPs. I'll just continue to enjoy my vintage vinyl along with all the new technology. But, I haven't yet moved to Quad SACDs. Are there many choices out there?

5. gvl_guy

gvl_guy Member

I have an "old-school" quad setup using a Sansui QRX-7001. I see you're using the Grado red and, although it's rated for up to 55k hz, it has an elliptical stylus, not a shibata style. Is it picking up the carrier from the CD-4 records okay? Or did you put some kind of replacement stylus in it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.