MoFi Electronics PhonoStages

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MIA2RDU, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

That's exactly how it works. Your turntable connnects to the MoFi and the MoFi connects to any non phono input on the Rogue.

displayname likes this.
  2. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

Good to know. Do people do this type of connection often? I have never owned separates, but I wasn't sure if it was legit, or if I need to just go the preamp/power amp route.

3. MIA2RDU

MIA2RDU Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I do this in my setup, except I've been using the Schiit Mani phono into the CD input of my Marantz PM6005. Works great, but I am curious about upgrading the Schiit Mani.

johnny q likes this.
  4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Yep. I have an iFi iPhono 2 that I use with my Rogue Pharoah.

5. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

When using a separate phono stage - connect it to one of the line or aux inputs on the Sphinx, not the PHONO. The phono input is only to be used if plugging the TT straight into the Sphinx, and will only work for MM and some HOMC.

6. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

No, the MoFi phono stages work with LOMC carts as well.

7. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

He's talking about the phono stage in the Rogue.

8. Benzion

Read my post carefully. It says the PHONO input on the Sphinx is to be used when connecting the TT directly to the Sphinx. To connect the MoFi to the Sphinx - use a line or aux input on the Sphinx.

9. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

That last part had been made clear already. Might want to write more carefully next time.

Chester0711 likes this.
  10. Benzion

It was clear enough for everyone but you. Might want to read more carefully next time.

Seancito likes this.
  11. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I got it. Thanks guys! Now I just want to read a review!

Heckto35 likes this.
  12. John Woo

John Woo Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Benzion] - let every piece do its dedicated function, this way they do a better job than having many functions cramped into one chassis.[/QUOTE]

in my hifi journey i found this to be the "Golden Rule".
    the biggest improvement and impact on my sound was going separates -
    from integrated amp to pre/power
    from all in one CD player to transport/DAC

Benzion likes this.
  13. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

If a two line post retreading established information needs to be read carefully, "you're doing it wrong", as they say. Perhaps your prose doesn't quite have the vigour and clarity you believe ?

14. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

One of the other threads (see previous page) has one.

15. Benzion

Repeat for our French-speaking friends: "it was clear to everyone but you". Perhaps your comprehension of English is not as thorough as you think it is. If you re-read my two-line post, you will find that it contains no reference to Mo-Fi whatsoever, not by name, not by hint, inference, or allusion. If you saw it there - perhaps you're seeing things.

16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Aside from the review posted earlier in this thread, hands of reviews are non-existent it seems. I personally am really interested in how the StudioPhono stacks up against the Schiit Mani. I was going to buy a 2nd Mani for my main system but now I am holding off to see how this one compares to it. If the SQ is better - that plus the Mono switch, would justify the extra coin.

Heckto35 likes this.
  17. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I am intrigued with the StudioPhono one due to it's cheaper price. Do you think based on the specs that this would accept a wide variety of moving coil cartridges?

18. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

19. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Again, the other thread ("MoFi UltraPhono Phono stage sound quality") has first-hand experience by a user that says it's a step up from the Mani and rivals the iPhono.

Heckto35 likes this.
  20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Right - I read that when you linked to it earlier. That's very encouraging at that price point, but I am eager to hear more first hand reviews - one persons opinion is hardly conclusive.

JQ

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Pulled the trigger on a Studio Phono, should have it next week. If it doesn't work out I may try a Pro-Ject Phono Box DS+ next.

Crutchfield has a 60 day return policy and free shipping, if anyone is interested in trying one of these and needs an excuse.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

My Studio Phono showed up today and I've been listening for a few hours tonight. Playing a lot of mono albums since I've never had a mono switch in my system and wanted to hear how it would sound. So far I am enjoying the new phono stage but it's way too early to form a firm opinion on it.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  23. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I'm interested in one of these as well, please keep us posted.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

After last night's listening session, my overall general impression is that the Studio Phono is less bright and punchy than the Schiit Mani, but not as "polite" and reserved as my Rega Fono Mini. Need more time with it and need to try my other cartridges.

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Decided to swap carts this morning and use my Vessel A3SE with the Studio Phono. Sounding nice so far.

Someone upthread asked about moving coil cartridges and this phono stage. I don't have any MC carts to test this with, unfortunately.

punkmusick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.