MOFI Miles Davis Vinyl Remasters discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cassius, Jul 3, 2014.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Miles Smiles arrived!

...but the bottom of the gatefold cover is completely torn through with two huge dents as well! Arg.

Called music direct, they will send a return label to me tomorrow to ship back to them on their dime and will receive a replacement. Unfortunately I need to send the vinyl as well and not just the cover.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Joti Cover likes this.
  2. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

What a drag, but it looks like a total keeper once you get a replacement.... hope that goes well.

3. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

What a relief! Coolio...Enjoy.

4. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

This exact thing happened with the Superfly that I ordered through Amazon. Weird!

recstar24 likes this.
  5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Finishing up giving it a quick listen before I pack it back up (why not, right?)

Sounds pretty stellar. Miles Smiles has always been my favorite miles album and it’s great to have a definitive pressing of this.

scotti, gov and Joti Cover like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome to hear, ordering my copy this weekend, but with 4000 available, they should last for a bit I would think. One of my favorites by him as well and absolutely prefer this over KOB, which of course is still a classic no doubt.

recstar24 likes this.
  7. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I deliberated buying this one as I not that long ago purchased the Speakers Corner AAA pressing and as good as that is it doesn’t really stack up as well as other Mofi Miles titles so I relented. And damn glad I did too; what a difference! It makes the SC sound bleached and hard.
    This is the last of the 2nd Great Quintet titles to be released and boy have they saved the best until last; these guys are on fire!
    The tones and textures are so much better and the cymbals, holy crap do they sound good. Ron’s bass is a thing of awe too.
    A great title done to perfection including dead quiet and flat discs. Can’t stop playing it!
    A analogue sceptic colleague of mine who’s favourite album this is among exclaimed when I played it to him on an Audio Note level 4 system, as by far the best he’d ever heard it.
    Highly recommended.

8. Just ordered "Miles Smiles" re-issue and "Filles" this past weekend, super excited for them!

scotti, Morbius, Cervelo and 2 others like this.
  9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Filles is stunning, you are going to love it. I'm getting Miles Smiles within the next 2-3 days. Can't wait. The Speakers Corner pressing never quite did it for me and I'm looking forward to hearing what MFSL did with it.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Original Columbia will be hard to beat for Miles Smiles. And the MoFi is a remix, correct?

The Speakers Corner reissue was pitiful. Screechy up top and boosted bass. No idea what went on there.

11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

MoFi Miles Smiles is a remix? Really? Where did you get that from?

12. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Actually, I read about it here what seems like months ago.

Info on Discogs seems to confirm it:

Remixed from the Original 4-Track Tapes by Mark Wilder, Sony Music Studios, NYC
    Mastered by Krieg Wunderlich, assisted by Shawn R. Britton at Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab®
    in Sebastopol, CA on the GAIN 2 ULTRA ANALOG SYSTEM ™
    Mastered from Original Master Tapes
    Specially Plated and Pressed on 180g High-Definition Vinyl
    Production by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab® in Sebastopol, CA
    Pressed at RTI

Miles Davis Quintet* - Miles Smiles

Dmann201, jgrillo and Tommyboy like this.
  13. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Interesting. Why did they feel it needed a remix I wonder? In any case, I expect it will sound stellar based on the reviews I've seen thus far.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  14. Didn’t know much about it (“Filles”) but I sampled it once and I was sold. Just the right amount of experimentation for me to grow to love and always enjoy for the future!

walrus likes this.
  15. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Yep, it's a remix. All versions of Miles Smiles released in the last 30 some-odd years have been remixes. Damage to the master tapes is believed to be the culprit, based on sonic evidence from 32DP 724.

16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I wouldn't assume anything but that's just me. These MoFi versions have sometimes been really good but also sometimes a bit weird, IMO. On The Corner was so different some thought it was a remix.

17. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I've been very happy with all 7 I have. Even Kind of Blue which gets a lot of flack on here. Though, I've stayed away from E.S.P. and Milestones based on comments I've read.

gov and rxcory like this.
  18. gov

gov Forum Resident

No KOB for me but I’m thinking about it. I have the classic regular and the classic original speed plus the MOV two disc set.

But I disagree with those down on ESP and Milestones. Milestones is my favorite from the first great quintet era (workin is close second) and love the mfsl release. I never had a first press but it bettered the best I had found.

ESP is great for me too. As good or better than my iron gal. Maybe others have better original pressings?

But like you say I’ve been thrilled with MFSL’s treatment of Miles.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  19. I have MOFI “ESP” 2X45 and I enjoy the sound quality. Never had other versions to compare it to, however.

Kimiimacman likes this.
  20. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

[/QUOTE]
    But I disagree with those down on ESP and Milestones. Milestones is my favorite from the first great quintet era (workin is close second) and love the mfsl release. I never had a first press but it bettered the best I had found.[/QUOTE]

Pick up a Milestones from Sony Legacy, and compare for yourself

gov and rxcory like this.
  21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’m very happy with ESP on Mofi. The album is long enough to benefit from the 2x45 format and sounds great to me.

Dmann201, vapor minor, djost and 2 others like this.
  22. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Yes--I compared it directly to the Impex version, and strongly preferred the MOFI. No idea how an original pressing would compare, though.

23. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

IMO:
    Impex < MFSL < original Columbia pressing, mono or stereo

The Impex is a remix and is cold and devoid of life. The MFSL is tonally excellent, but sounds muddy due to generational tape loss; they did they best they could with the tapes they had to work with. Original pressings have the vibrancy, the romance, the clarity of fresh oxide on the tapes, and pack an emotive wallop that you just can't get anywhere else. I have both mono and stereo - they are both excellent in their own ways.

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

My local store just go my copy of Miles Smiles 45 rpm in today, going to pick it up tomorrow. Their price is $49.99, plus I did not have to pay for shipping. Got #719...not bad buying from an Indie. I so can't wait to listen to this as it is one of my absolute favorites by him and I am almost embarrassed to say all I own of this classic is the standard CD version...

Dmann201, rxcory, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  25. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

After what has seemed like an eternal media mail wait, Miles Smiles is finally going to arrive today. Excited!

Morbius, recstar24 and scotti like this.