Mofi--- overrated or not????

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I have some of the MOFI discs and here's what I found.Some of them beat the labels remasters by quite a bit such as with the MOFI Clapton remasters.Some are not as good as the labels remasters or not as good to justify the sometimes insane MOFI collectors pricing.A good example of this is the Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road which the Rocket label reissue I'm told is better.Also it is interesting to read the posts on this site of people dissecting the recording.No offense to Steve Hoffman but while I loved his Doors-Strange Days Remaster I thought Warners HDCD remaster was a big improvement over that due to the higher dynamic range.Same goes for the Traffic remaster.I have the new Feeling Alright The Best of Traffic comp and to my ears that The Low Spark of High Healed Boys sounds way better than The MOFI version.Thats why I hope we will see hirez versions of these albums remastered by people like Steve on a small scale .Then we'll have the warmer tonal sound combined with the higher dynamic range of the newer formats.

2. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

tomd,

If you would, please define "higher dynamic range". I don't see how the HDCD of "Strange Days" can be more dynamic when Steve doesn't use any compression or limiting...

Remember..."dynamic" doesn't mean "dynamite"!

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Towards the end I think they were putting out some great titles:
    Ten Years After "Sssh/Cricklewood Green"
    Iron Butterfly
    Cream
    Simon & Garfunkle "Bookends"
    Jethro Tull "Living In The Past"

4. ericpeters

ericpeters Senior Member

I actually got only one Mofi album (Neil Diamond, The Jazz singer) and I find it varying from mediocre to very good, depending on the song. The main reason that I don't have any more is because they are quite difficult to get here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.