MoFi UltraPhono phonostage... Sound quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dogpile, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

The mono button should be pretty obvious which way is on and off, just listen to a stereo record and switch it both ways. The subsonic filter may be less obvious, maybe put on a record with a big warp and see if you get any woofer pumping with the volume at normal level, with switch in and out. With subsonic filter on, the pumping should be less.

Heckto35 and displayname like this.
  3. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

I would be curious to hear about that comparison myself... :idea:

(or the MoFi stuff vs any Musical Fidelity phonos, really...)

Heckto35 likes this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Any update? :)

Heckto35, MikeJedi and TheVinylAddict like this.
  5. donunus

donunus Cheapskate Audiophile and Massive Music Lover

yes please give us an update

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I emailed MoFi some time ago and they confirmed the typo in the original owners manual. To engage the subsonic filter, it needs to be in the up position. The down position defeats it.

displayname, bluemooze and patient_ot like this.
  7. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

I just wanted to say I got the MoFi StudioPhono a few days ago and WOW! It is pretty amazing!
    A few weeks ago I had to start using my backup/casual listening system for vinyl as the main rig is being serviced (it is all vintage). The small system is a Sansui G-301 receiver and Beovox S50 speakers. Always sounded quite good with Tidal Hi-Fi, but when I hooked up my TT to the Phono input it became clear quite quickly how bad the built-in phono preamp is. Trumpets were shrieking, the overtones were missing - a complete disaster. So I ordered the StudioPhono, in part after reading this thread and WOW! This little system just came alive! The sound is very balanced and the level of detail I am getting is unbelievable! It is also amazing how quiet it is. I have the MoFi paired with a Nagaoka MP-110 and they seem to be an outstanding combo. :edthumbs:

Simon A, Heckto35, johnny q and 4 others like this.
  8. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

How does this stack up to other Phono stages in the price range? Say the Ifi? I'm looking for something in the $300-700 range and the mono switch on the Mofi is very handy.

Heckto35 likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'm not sure I would ever buy any IFI product due to widely reported reliability issues and iffy customer service.

Your main question is way too broad IMHO. What cartridge(s) will you be using with your phono stage and what are your needs? What aspects of a phono stage are most important to you?

Heckto35 likes this.
  10. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I have owned the iFi and the Ultraphono, as well as the Decware ZP3, the Lounge LCR, and MM stages within integrated amps (Fisher 500c, McIntosh MX-110z, Heed Obelisk mkIII).

The Ultraphono was my favorite—plenty of adjustability a la the iFi; clear, quiet, and controlled unlike the tubed stages; and full of color unlike the Heed and iFi. Plus: a great headphone output for headphones with lower impedences.

(Do I still have the Ultra? No, my Blue Circle Li’l 703 is miles better—but at a much higher cost.)

It is susceptible to hum if it’s placed too close your power amp. I also don’t love the wall wart power supply. But that’s pretty standard in this price range.

Music Direct says there’s not much difference sound-wise between the StudioPhono and UltraPhono; you’re basically paying for the headphone out. That makes the Studio a pretty great deal.

Heckto35 and Big Blue like this.
  11. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Right now I have the Nagoaka Mp-200 MM with probably less than 10 hours. I'm going to have it for the foreseeable future before I upgrade. I'd like something that is flexible, so I'll have plenty of future cart options and room for MC , Mono switch would be nice but not a deal breaker. Same price range of $300-$700.

12. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

Admittedly though MoFi has stoke a chord with the mono switch, amazing how many people are missing it from their systems.

Big Blue and Adamski777 like this.
  13. scottdavis0801

scottdavis0801 Forum Resident

I just recently acquired a Fisher 400 receiver, and have been playing it with the mofi studiophono, into a mofi studiodeck. Epos epic 2, Nagoaka mp-200 cart. I have just given out a recipe/combo for a killer setup. AND I mean these components together sound gooooood !

Heckto35, bluemooze, johnny q and 2 others like this.
  14. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I want to know if i can find the 220v version of the Mofi external power supply in US ... or maybe the power supply it's universal. Thank you so much.

15. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

Does anyone know the correct cartridge loading settings for the Studiophono? There are conflicting options from the manual in the box versus the online website link and online manual.

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

This actually is very helpful feedback for me, as I have been mulling over options in that $500-700 range (Ultraphono, Lounge LCR Gold, Arcam rPhono are kind of my short list as of now).

I am curious, how close is “too close” to the amp?

JMAC likes this.
  17. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Feet not inches

Big Blue likes this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Hmmm. I would hope the online info would be the most up to date but you may want to ask MOFI about it.

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

In that range you should be looking at one of the Graham Slee models for home audition.

Big Blue likes this.
  20. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

The GS should be really better, in other way you'll pay more than the Studio and losing the flexibility, rumble filter and mono option. My opinion, of course.

21. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I've contacted MoFi, but I haven't heard back yet. Apparently, the booklet manual that came with the device is slightly different with the loading impedance compared to the cartridge loading option link on the website with the manual link on the site as well, and I want to make sure I get it right. I'm trying to set it at 1000 ohms.

I've been inquiring with a few companies for some cables that I just ordered and the consensus is that this MoFi is the weakest link in my chain. I have it paired with a Rogue Audio Cronus II and a VPI Scout with a Hana EL cartridge. I purchased the MoFi as my entry into the world of MC cartridges, and so far I am quite pleased, but I am wondering if I could improve greatly. The MoFi fits in my budget though. What do others think?

22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I don't doubt that others have had issues, so this is a classic case of "YMMV." I had mine sitting directly behind my amp with zero hum or extraneous noise issues.

JQ

Big Blue likes this.
  23. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

The MoFi website doesn't say anything about the power supply. I'd not be surprised if it's 120/240 compatible (universal). Maybe if you call Music Direct they'll know??? Or reach out to MoFi customer service.

24. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

The StudioPhono wall wart is universal, at least the model I bought from Audio Advice is. It even comes with with pop off plugs for Mainland Europe, UK, Australia and of course US.

Mike70 likes this.
  25. usethefourth

usethefourth Well-Known Member

The nice things about this is it's another addition to a strong portfolio of under $300 phonos. Hard to get a consensus on which is the best but we now get the Lounge, Graham Slees, the Mofi, ifi, etc.

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.