DCC Archive MOFI White Sport Coat and Pink...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

OK, there is a copy of this disc available locally for $14.95. I'm not a real big fan of Buffet (much less a Parrothead), but I do like many of his tunes.

Is this a good MOFI disc - and how 'bout the music?

I figure its likely worth the 1/2 off asking price - but I was wondering what everyone thinks. Thanks!

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Not a huge fan of Buffet. The albums he's released are very good, although if I had to pick, "Son Of A Sailor", "A1a", and "Changes In Attitudes" are better albums.

Most of his MCA earlier stuff can fit 2 to one CD. Lots of his stuff was fairly short (33-35 min) per LP. My folks like him while fishing out on the island in their boat. It invokes drinking lots of beer. :rolleyes:

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: Sckott ]

3. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Although mastered a bit bright, you would probably like the MCA GOLD edition of "Songs You Know By Heart" which is simply a better version of the regular greatest hits release from several years ago.

4. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

Well, I listend to a few tracks online and decided to not to buy. A little too county for me. Thanks for the advice!

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: skramer ]

5. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Errr, I like Jimmy Buffet. I have the MFSL Son Of A Son Of A Sailor. Can't help it. It's an axiom: sailors drink Rum and listen to Jimmy Buffet. (shrugs)

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Some of that stuff sounds ok at best (Come Monday and Volcano.) Other stuff way overly bright. Just compare Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw on the MCA gold disc against the version on the Mo-Fi White Sports Coat issue. Mo-Fi wins hands down.
    That MCA disc was mastered by Glenn Meadows who ruins a lot of Country music releases the same way with his tin ear tactics.

7. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

I'll give you that about MFSL vs. Glenn, but I'll take him any day to the regular MCA release of "Songs..." and for that matter any MCA disc NOT done by Steve H.
    (Of course it also helps to have a professional level parametric EQ so I can tame the brightness a little when I listen to it...)

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: Dough ]

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Since I mostly listen to country music although I do listen to other kinds of music, I am very much used to Glenn Meadows's mastering and just enjoy the music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.