Mogami RCA Cable Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troy T., Jul 8, 2021.

1. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I use 2549 with XLR Neutrik Gold connectors. Couldn't ask for more.

2. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Same! Great cable... very transparent, detail and clarity aplenty.

I bought from this guy. Great service and fast shipping.

bever70 and Rushboy like this.
  3. Rushboy

Rushboy Active Member

How would you describe the tonal differences 2549/2497?

4. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I would say the 2549 is a little more dense (warmer perhaps in some systems), and the 2497 a bit more open/transparent. To my ears in my system. At the moment I like the combination of 2497 between source/preamp and 2549 between preamp/amp to balance out my system.

jfeldt and Rushboy like this.
  5. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

For all RCA and mono wire.

6. bever70

That's a coaxial cable (more suitable for an spdif cable).

7. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Nothin wrong with coax for RCA interconnects.

8. bever70

And nothin wrong with rca for coax...but I prefer to use both for what they intend to be used.

9. Oelewapper

Yes it’s coaxial wire, so it has low capacitance.
    What’s the problem?
    Usage defines an object; not the other way around.

10. bever70

What's with the attitude?

For reference,
    2964 has 65pf/m
    2497 has 67pf/m
    2549 has 76pf/m

11. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Technically, the 2549 is a balanced microphone cable, so you're not using it for its intended purpose either :laugh:

12. bever70

Guilty as charged :D

DyersEve726 likes this.
  13. Oelewapper

I have no idea what you mean.
    Exactly, those figures are good.
    Low capacitance is beneficial for MM cartridges and its double shielding makes it good for LOMC cartridges.
    I don’t get why “it would be more suitable for an s/pdif cable”…

bru87tr, Tone? and Ilusndweller like this.
  14. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I mostly use Videoquest MAC 3-1 75 Ohm coax cable for analog interconnects. It is as quiet as any RCA interconnect I have tested using my "Kyocera flip pre-out/main-in switch back and forth during quiet part of tune while cranking it" test. The internal/"normal" connection is dead silent and differences among cables in what I am 99.9% certain is shielding effectiveness is clearly noticeable under these extreme testing conditions.

[​IMG]

15. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

I use Worlds Best Mogami balanced 2549 throughout my whole system, fantastic cables.

bru87tr, Rushboy and Influxor like this.
  16. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I just hooked up three pairs of 2549 with Amphenol ACPL RCA's. Got the blue ones just to look different. I discovered my Transparent Musiclink's were too high capacitance for phono (close to 200pf/m even for their phono cable). Mogami 3103 swapped in for speakers to be Mogami front to back. I dressed those up with the Techflex/pants etc. Performance Audio for all. Made to order. I can report back about the sound after I get my Darlington Labs phono back from upgrade.

Rushboy and aunitedlemon like this.
  17. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Man, it's placebo city around here with this Mogami rig. If I didn't know better I'd say my system never sounded so good! Yikes! :yikes::yikes:

bever70 likes this.
  18. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Why should it be placebo? :laugh:

Those Mogami's are great cables - I should know, I've used them extensively and still own some. And even if your own brain (or the anti-cable police) told you otherwise they cost so little they're basically the Krypotonite to the high priced cable "snake oil" argument, so you're safe :winkgrin:

19. AvFan

AvFan Forum Resident

I make my RCA cables from Mogami W2965 and Neutrik Rean NYS373 interconnects. Low capacitance and no noise from them even when the interconnects turn into a tangled mess even with power cords.

Tone? likes this.
  20. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Exactly.

low capacitance is the important factor for RCA cables.

21. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Is anyone ever truly safe?

I tried Mogami Gold balanced interconnects for a few years in my system but they were a step down from my previous single ended cables. I ended up trying some Cardas balanced cables and liked those better than the Mogami.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    33na3rd and Toneh like this.
  22. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Well this had me wondering between the 2497 that I have for my phono interconnects, and the “digital” 2964.
    Worlds Best Cables sells the same length, same connector 2497 for over double the price of the 2964. ($89 vs $32ish).

why would that be? Capacitance is indeed lower on the 2964. What quality is driving the 2497 that much higher in price?

23. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

:laugh:

Expressing opinions these days is indeed an increasingly risky business. So I take your point.

Same as you, I ran Mogami's (and Canare) for quite a while. Great value cables but like you I've moved on. As a value prospect however I don't see how the average punter can go wrong? I'm sure you'd agree they punch well above their asking price? Or have I assumed too much? :)

33na3rd likes this.
  24. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

The price was low, and funnily enough, I picked them up at a Guitar Center in real life after work one day, so they also score a point for availability. I don't know how well they compare to other similarly priced cables, but I wasn't mad at them. Hopefully that much was clear when I said I used them for a few years :)

I tried the Mogami Gold digital AES/EBU cable also, but it was also a fairly large step down from the Stereovox and Cardas I already had: that experiment went less well than the interconnect one. At least it gave me another AES/EBU cable to experiment with and have as a backup.

33na3rd and Tone? like this.
  25. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

No offense but does Cardas post any specs for their cables?
    Legit question

didn’t see any.

thanks.