Mogami RCA Cable Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troy T., Jul 8, 2021.

1. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Those measurements are for the XLRs

2. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Since the XLRs are what I use, that’s what I quoted :)

Jimi Floyd and Tone? like this.
  3. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

ha ok.

ooops

4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

So after a few weeks with the Mogami 2549, I've decided I don't care for them. They are noisy in the phono signal path. I don't think the shielding is very good.
    I swapped the Transparent cables back in for the Pre-power connection and other sources. I noticed a pretty significant improvement over Mogami.

Tone? likes this.
  5. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I tried the Mogami 2549 a month ago as well and I didn’t like them as much as my LS-1
    Try the Belden 1694A from blue jeans.
    They are the only ones that replaced my LS-1 RCA cables from them.
    A bit tighter better bass and just all around better.

they are really good.
    And inexpensive

Boltman92124 likes this.
  6. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Oh pardon.
    Mine were for analog feeding my DAC into the pre

but regardless. The belden are amazing and what Benchmark use for RCA analog

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    Boltman92124 likes this.
  7. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I’ve been really happy with these 2964 cables for phono pre input!

3.5 Foot – High-Definition Audio Interconnect Cable Pair Custom Made by WORLDS BEST CABLES – Using Mogami 2964 Wire and Eminence Gold Locking RCA Connectors https://a.co/d/giOJEqs

Shielding is solid, no noise at all and I’m running 60db gain with the ART9XI.
    Not super cheap, but solid.

Ingenieur and Boltman92124 like this.
  8. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Honestly, I only got the Mogami stuff to match up with the 3103 speaker cable I really like plus the low capacitance. It was ear opening to put the Transparent Musiclink pairs back in. The 2549's had audible interference coming through on the phono section. Plus, when I swapped back to Transparent, the whole system got the clarity and slam back. I still need 1 pair of new phono cables though. Transparent too high 180pf.

9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Maybe I'll try those out. $42 is still cheap. See if Performance Audio has them as well. I like using those guys. Thanks.

10. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah it seems like the 2549's are a little soft sounding.

11. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Did Performance explain how they are wired when you asked about directionality? Are they connecting the shield at both ends to one side of the twisted pair? Looks like they would be about 87pF per meter with that configuration based on Mogami specs, plus a few pF for the connectors, so fairly low capacitance.

12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

You know I did ask them about it. I think they connected the shield at both ends. They told me the direction was left to right on the type face as you read it on the jacket. Maybe I should have had them connect the shield at only one end? The Amphenol RCAs don't seem to unscrew easily but maybe I should try harder.

13. Davey

If they said they were directional, then the shield is likely only connected at one end, usually the source end, if that matches the type face. That's the way I wired my DH Labs teflon air matrix cables, except on my phono cable, which is DIN on one end and the shield is flying on the other for a pseudo balanced connection to my SUT.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

So why the noise on the phono cable? Honestly, no clue how to tell except they are picking up that oscillating hum. Should it be floated on one end or the opposite?

15. Davey

Well, coax is usually a better choice than shielded twisted pair for a phono cable unless you want to try a balanced connection. It's generally lower capacitance. But if the shield is floating on one end, that may be causing some extra noise pickup. In my case, since it is a 5-pin DIN cable, the shield is connected to turntable ground on the DIN connector side, and the SUT ground at the other end via the flying leads, while the twisted pairs are not connected to ground. But I think most people would probably build a phono cable with the shield connected at each end to the return side of the twisted pair if using RCA connectors for best noise immunity. But if doing that, may as well just use coax :)

Boltman92124 likes this.
  16. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I’m tellin ya. Try the blue jeans belden RCA

I got my mogami from performance as well.
    Well made but I didn’t like the sound of em that much.

yes soft

Boltman92124 likes this.
  17. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

These are two conductor microphone cables right? One for ground and one for signal? What's interesting about shopping for phono cables(not DIN just RCA) is there are not many of them out there, at least not affordable. "Phono cable" often just means they come with a ground wire and the same cable otherwise. I had a chat with the guy at Transparent about their "phono" cables. He told me they are "tuned" differently and not to use the line level IC's for phono. Then he gave up the info that they are 180pf!

18. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Thanks Tone. I've got enough money into Transparent I'm just going back to them. I've also heard the BJ LC-1 is not the best sounding as well. Plus I don't like those giant RCA's on the BJ's. Space at a premium behind the rack.

Tone? likes this.
  19. Davey

Yes, the 2549 is shielded twisted pair cables normally used for balanced connections, so two (normally differential) signal lines, and the shield can also work as a current return. The phono cartridge is naturally balanced, but with RCA connections we aren't normally using a balanced connection to the gain stage.

I any case, I don't know the general preference for shield connections when using 3-conductor cables for phono in an unbalanced configuration. There are probably pros and cons for each type of connection. Some using a flying shield connection on each end that is connected to the chassis so it becomes your ground wire, and some connect the shield just to the cartridge return side, and others connect the shield to return side on both ends.

20. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Have you tried the BJ LS-1?

imho they are very good.

bru87tr likes this.
  21. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

In a shielded 2C the shield should be floating at one end. Otherwise you have a loop and parallel path.

Any RFI/EM induced I in the shield will also be reflected in the signal since it has R therefore a V will be developed and in parallel V must be equal.

If only tied at one end no loop I can flow in the shield and it will drain to ground.

my understanding
    In a coax any EM induced I circulates in the shield. It is 'trapped' and of very low magnitude since the R is so low. It combines with the return but separates at the cartridge since the in/out I must balance.

A picture is easier to understand
    It can't sum/combine with the signal + since the currents at the cartridge (a node) must sum to 0.

In a directional cable for a cartridge application imo the shield tied end should go to the phono amp.
    I do not think the cartridge end is grounded to the bonding wire to the phono amp.
    If it were it would form a ground loop.
    So any EM induced I circulates.
    Page 38
    https://www.hollandlink.eu/VandenHul-Wiring Diagrams.pdf

If tied at the cartridge end it will return to ground in the signal path.

22. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

My experience too with 2549, which is why I switched to Mogami 2497: all the slam and clarity you want!

Toneh and Boltman92124 like this.
  23. bever70

Fwiw, Mogami recommends 2497 and 2803 for hifi use at home. 2549 is considered to be more studio/live concert (stage) 'orientated'.

I have all 3, my personal experience:
    2549 - soft sounding, somewhat 'warm', less dynamic sounding.
    2497 - clarity, slam and punch, very dynamic.
    2803 - like 2497 but sounds somewhat leaner to my ears. 2803 is pretty expensive (for Mogami) and they consider it their top of the line for hifi use. I prefer 2497 in my system.

Toneh likes this.
  24. Rushboy

Rushboy Active Member

I know 2549 and 2497.
    I prefer 2549.

25. bever70

When you have a somewhat bright system, 2549 might work better, balancing things out.
    I preferred 2549 too in the beginning, but I had some issues with speaker positioning/room acoustics that I wasn't aware of, and found 2497 a bit 'too much'. I was able to sort things out (using PEQ, better speaker placement and some room treatments) and now I love 2497.
    So it's all a bit room/system dependant I guess.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    Opriv and TheVinylAddict like this.