Mogami RCA Cable Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troy T., Jul 8, 2021.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Boltman92124 and Rushboy like this.
  2. Ingenieur

3. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Seems strange the 2549 and 2497 sound different. Both are made the same way with the same "Neglex" copper. Both microphone cables. I think 2497 is a larger AWG though. Wonder if 2497 needs the shielding issue addressed too. Oh well. I'll use two pairs for the DAC and video hookup. Pretty in blue with the silver Amphenol connectors though!

4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

5. Ingenieur

Correct
    The Oyaide PA-2075 RR

although imo if the shield end is at the phono amp it should work fine if the C is acceptable.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  6. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

7. Ingenieur

I bought it from Japan, made an offer of $100 including shipping, was accepted. $100 is a lot for me. No way $400!!!

C is 110 pF / m
    Very low L, -0.0001 dB attenuation at 20 kHz

it is under "details" when you expand it:

Special Characteristic
    PA-2075 was created for transmitting ultra-week analog signal. Due to the fact that its electric capacitance is set to 110.0pF/m (1kHz) and characteristic impedance is set to 44Ω, PA-2075 has excellent signal transmitting capability.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2022
    Boltman92124 likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

The 2497 is a coax type cable, though the center conductor is wrapped around a PVC core, so it is just a two conductor cable as opposed to the 3-conductor 2549. Have you tried reversing the direction of your 2549 cables? It sounds like from the directional description that the shield is only connected at one end, and as pointed out above, for phono cable usage, it may be better if shield is connected at the phono preamp side instead of cartridge side.

9. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

The 2549 is listed in their catalogue as 'balanced microphone cable'. 2497 is under 'hifi audio cable'. Different internally like Davey said.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    Boltman92124 likes this.
  10. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Performance Audio used to describe 2497 as long run microphone cable as well. It appears they are totally out of stock on 2497 now, even in bulk. @Davey I will try reversing direction!

11. bever70

I would think Mogami knows their own cables better than Performance Audio ;).
    Just google 'mogami 2497 specs' and one of the first hits is their entire catalogue with all cable specs listed in .pdf format.

TheVinylAddict and Rushboy like this.
  12. Ingenieur

looks like 2497 can be both?

[​IMG]

13. bever70

Apparently. 2549 seems to be more advised and used for 'rougher' on stage use where lots of metres are required.

Boltman92124 and Ingenieur like this.
  14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I'm surprised my 2549's picked up noise like they did in a 1 meter run. Might as well try them again today and fiddle around.

15. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I bought a pair of 2497 IC's with Amphenol RCA terminations a while back - "Wow! Amazing cables" I thought. Why spend more? Literally. Amazing transparency that gave a pretty ideal sense of the signal passing unfettered.

Then I changed a few bits and had the option to use XLR - which i understand is more relevant in longer runs, but hey, why not? So I ordered a pair of 2549 with high quality Neutrik plugs. Mogami is a sure bet I figured, this'll just be more of the same?
    Boy was I wrong. What a let down! Gone was the pristine clarity, finesse and edge definition of the 2497... the overall sound was duller, rougher and just a bit "meh" overall.

So I guess my take away - for whatever relevance it has to the above discussion - is it matters a great deal which model you're looking at because the variations in what you get may not be subtle.

16. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah I think I found that out myself as well. The 2549's probably do suit a brighter, more aggressive sounding system. Or if a source needs a little mellowing out.

bever70, Toneh and Tone? like this.
  17. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I agree. System matching wasn't addressed in my previous post. The 2549's would probably help tame a too bright system and it's probably helpful to point out that I was looking for the exact opposite effect.

BTW - for whatever it's worth, another Mogami model I rate very highly is their 2964 co-axial cable. Even though I have access to a more expensive silver stranded co-ax cable the Mogami remains the preferred option.

jfeldt, Boltman92124 and bever70 like this.
  18. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I originally went 2497 for all interconnects including cart to phono preamp.
    But through this thread I discovered the 2964 and yes indeed it’s great. Recorded an A/B comparison of the same vinyl copy and found I liked the 2964 better. The difference was indeed apparent. Better shielding and lower capacitance.

Opriv, Boltman92124 and Toneh like this.
  19. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I’m confused now. The 2964 spec shows 65pf/m which is nearly 2x better than the cable spec you show here, right? What character makes this Oyeide cable better for cart to phono runs? (I’m using a MC cart if it makes a difference).

bru87tr likes this.
  20. Ingenieur

C has little, if any, impact with a MC.

I would not say better. I like the quality and integrated G jumper.

Total C matters.
    Tonearm
    Cables
    phono amp

As long as it matches the cartridge it doesn't matter how you get there imo.

Tone arm 35-40 as best I can tell from measurement. Cable ~ 110 and my phono amp is set at 0, so total ~ 150, a perfect match for my 540ML.

If C on the amp was fixed at say 100 I may use a low C cable like the LC1.

Opriv and chris8519 like this.
  21. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Isn't the 2964 a 75 ohm coax? Designed for S/PDIF? Is it directional with shielding? My issue with the 2549 is the noise coming from it on the phono connection.

22. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

Are there situations where directional cable can make things worse?

23. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Hehe, are you trying to get @NoBody99 to answer in place of our old departed friend @Ingenieur? :)

bever70 likes this.
  24. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Is @Ingenieur gone? Hopefully in good health etc..??

25. bever70

I believe they are one and the same :shh:.