Mogami RCA Cable Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troy T., Jul 8, 2021.

1. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Not for me. I drill out RCA's if I need to to fit it. It's my wire of choice.

2. sfwya

sfwya Jazzhead

Thanks, What are good connectors for 2497, not needing drilling?

3. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Amphenol

[​IMG]

Boltman92124 likes this.
  4. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Yep, like those, they are sturdy and long. You just have to remove the rubber strain relief seen at the cable end.

[​IMG]

sfwya likes this.
  5. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

6. harby

harby Forum Resident

RG59U Belden 1505F: 0.145" (3.68 mm)
    W2964 Mogami: 0.189" (4.8mm)
    RG6U Belden 1694F: 0.276" (7.01 mm)
    W2497 Mogami: 0.315" (8.0mm)

Too fat? Another reason to pick 2964 with lower capacitance, that Mogami uses for their own RCAs, available in dual 2965.

Or if you want to try a Mogami 3.6mm cable that mates with RG59-sized fittings (but with much higher capacitance still), Mogami's pitch:
    "2803 has been evaluated as the world's highest resolution and rich detailed cable in the world market...
    (2497 has been available for a long time before 2803 was developed. Its larger cable structure makes it
    easier to use than 2804 and so is preferred in some applications.)"

They sure would. 0.290 inner diameter. Switchcrafts also don't just have a little constriction around the entrance, that's the solid metal diameter.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    sfwya likes this.
  7. sfwya

sfwya Jazzhead

After some research I got wbt 0144 - almost 9 mm diameter and cheap.

8. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

The real German ones are about $50 each, but the Chinese copies are fairly cheap. I've used a lot of the Chinese CMC 8236 types, those work well too, but they aren't always exactly as pictured ...

[​IMG]

sfwya likes this.
  9. sfwya

sfwya Jazzhead

Cable O.D.: 3mm to 7mm (0.118" to 0.275") as per one website.
    How to insert 8mm wire in 7 mm connector?

10. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

See post 178 and 179

11. sfwya

sfwya Jazzhead

Thanks, just wanted to confirm before pulling the trigger. Appreciate your help.

12. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I have a pair that I made exactly like those in post 178. Using between amp and preamp. Just had to remove the rubber nipple to allow the 2497 to fit. I like them a lot.

This cable must be good, it's the world's best! https://www.amazon.com/WORLDS-BEST-...ocphy=9018633&hvtargid=pla-348119497867&psc=1

Appear that an Eminence DWA-337 RCA fits this cable as well, it's included in the world's best...............

13. sfwya

sfwya Jazzhead

Those looks good. Ordered 2497 cables and amphenol connectors this morning. Want to try to make on my own. I have soldering iron, might as well use it.

Gibsonian likes this.
  14. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Too late now but I order from Redco when I can. Good prices and quick delivery.

sfwya likes this.
  15. sfwya

sfwya Jazzhead

Yes cables from redco, best prices by far. Connectors from performance audio.

16. bever70

Coming back to this and especially my evaluation of Mogami 2803. When I used it first I found it a bit leaner sounding than 2497. Those impressions were based on trying 2803 between preamp and amp (2497 between DAC and preamp). Now I have put 2803 between DAC and preamp, followed by Wireworld Oasis xlr between preamp>amp. I like that combination better. I'll probably swap 2803 between DAC and preamp in a few weeks for a 2497 again, but right now soundstage & tonality is ace.

17. Triffid

Triffid Forum Resident

I’ve been using Mogami for years.

2497 (low capacitance) between turntable and phono preamp.

2803 between phono preamp to preamp to amp.

They did not seem to be too special until I read and acted on this recommendation in the last paragraph from their catalog:

“2803 has been evaluated as the world's highest resolution and rich detailed cable in the world market. Because of pursuit of reducing the effect of the cable to improve resolution to the utmost limit, it may not suit all systems depending on the situation. This cable works well when a vivid original sound image, without any colouration to the signal, is wanted. Since the only degradation of a 2803 cable will be caused by the RCA phono plug used this must be carefully selected.
    The key point of the plug lies in its size to keep metal parts, other than cable itself, as short and small as possible.”

Swapped out the chunky WBT RCAs I originally soldered to original Eichmann copper bullets. That opened up the potential of what these cables are really capable of.

Have since gravitated to KLE Absolute Harmony RCAs. A substantial evolution/refinement (by Keith Louis Eichmann’s new company) on his earlier Eichmann low mass design.

On these Mogami cables the results fit my sonic preferences to a tee.

Rushboy, 33na3rd and bever70 like this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I drove myself nuts for a couple of months as I honed in on the cables I wanted for my system --- it got down to the differences were so subtle (maybe even imagined ;-)) where I wasn't sure if it was "different" or "better". (the ol' different vs better trap).

I finally just closed my eyes and put 2497 throughout.... except between one of my TT's (1200G) and one of the phono pres - there's still an 18" LC-1 in there because I needed it short!

Bottom line: Mogami makes nice cable :) I also have the 3103 to my speakers.

Roger P, Triffid and bever70 like this.
  19. Amcrebelfan

Amcrebelfan Forum Resident

I have a hundred foot roll of RG59 cable. Solid copper so I am thinking of using that for making some RCAs for my tape deck my DAC and possibly turntable from the photo preamp to the amplifier. I'm looking for a 20 to 25 pack compression connectors but don't want to break the bank that's for sure. Any recommendations one over another? I also watched a video where the guy was showing how to put it a connector on and he had strep back the r59 leaving the copper wire out but the shielding was not there does that need to be touching the RCA connector for a ground?

20. Amcrebelfan

21. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

The Amphenol ACPLs on my 2549's are a little loose fitting on all components I have. Not deal breaking loose but I'd prefer them to be a tighter fit.

22. bever70

I have the Amphenols too on my 2497 and they are a very snug fit. You can 'work' the lips if they are too loose for you, I suppose.

23. harby

harby Forum Resident

I gave a recommendation in the last page, Holland, but not one I've used (I've soldered 59/U instead of investing in a bag like RG6). A reasonable price and quantity for entry, color-code-able, not blasting its own name or fitting color. Also Thomas & Betts Snap-n-seal (acquired by Belden) (FSNS59RCAU, accomodates quad)

One follows the wire preparation instructions for the connector. Some will be sliced flat down to the center with a "spinner" stripper, and the connector jams between the jacket and braid, while others will have the braid exposed which you then fold back on the cable before insertion.

Different brands are compatible with different compression tools also, and on some, one must substitute an RCA-sized bit. Holland MCV datasheet gives compatible tools and also compatible cables (mainly for outer jacket dimension and shield layering).

24. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I give everything a Caig Pro Gold bath too before connecting. Transparent RCA's are super tight tolerance, which I'm used too. They have to be at the perfect angle to go on.

25. Amcrebelfan

I have this crimper, I like the Holland's you recommended. If they will work with my crimpers I will snatch them up. Thank you for the information.

Amazon.com