Mojo's "Unloved" albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

The latest Mojo (March 2018; issue 292) argues "Every major artist has one album (at least) that critics and fans routinely dismiss. Yet sometimes they're records we secretly cherish. We've asked Mojo's writers to justify their love for some of the most unfairly reviled albums ever."

Which of these do you love?
    How many of them do you own?

2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Love Black And Blue...perfect mid 70's Stones album

3. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I own two - Hard nose the highway , which has always been a favourite of mine and Band of gypsys

SF Georgie, Dennis Metz and JoshM like this.
  4. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I thought it was a bit of an obvious list characterised by a fear of endorsing anything particularly problematic. It’s as though, in this month’s Mojo, there’s a corner that will be forever Q.

Spaceboy, blaken123 and Sammy Waslow like this.
  5. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agree, really. I own all of them but for the Queen, Clash and C. Mayfield albums. I don’t consider any of them particularly hard to love.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I love Hot Space and Wild Life.

I played Black and Blue for the first time in years after reading a lot of good things about it here. Its good and I enjoyed it, but there's not many good songs, rather just grooves and good playing. I love Memory Motel and it's a great sounding LP.

D.B., bobc and ohnothimagen like this.
  7. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I only own two, though I have some of the other artists' other albums. Those two are Hard Nose the Highway and Trans, both of which I really like.

8. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

Two more that come to mind.

The Doors: Soft Parade. I like some of the tracks but it is for me their least satisfying album.

This may not be true anymore but "Loaded" by The Velvet Underground had a poor reputation. I always liked it but the Fully Loaded Edition that came out in the 1990s transformed it for me with a number of alternate better versions of songs.

Doug Yule said that the problem with the album was that it wasn't recorded as a band but in bits over many sessions and that they also should have waited for Mo Tucker to come back. I think he's probably right. We're also missing a high quality live recording of the final iteration of the band playing this material, most likely one was never made.

9. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Lou, Bob, Jimi and Stones all work for me.

10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Plants is good. On all the other albums that I'm familiar with - which, granted, consists of only a handful - there are enough tracks for them to be interesting at least. I'm a huge Van fan but if I'm being honest, I don't think he's had a really topnotch album out since Beautiful Vision, but there are always plenty of good tracks on his albums and I'll continue to buy them

carlwm likes this.
  11. MonkeysCantSwing

MonkeysCantSwing Forum Resident

"The Final Cut" is, if not my favorite Pink Floyd album, at least the album of theirs I play most often these days. An honest one.

willy, oboogie, pobbard and 6 others like this.
  12. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

Band of Gypsies is my favourite Hendrix album.

13. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Exactly. The two ballads and rockers are pretty great and the rest swings like a mother.

I voted Stones, Cap'n Beef, Zep, Floyd, Neil and Queen. None of these albums are nowhere near their best but they are even further from the total crapfests conventional wisdom have 'em pegged as.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I remember Loaded not having a great reputation. I think that's changed now. Personally I love it and would change nothing about it. It took me a long time to get to that stage with it though.

15. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

No way Band Of Gypsys is unloved - Machine Gun carries most of the weight of course, but as one of rocks greatest live guitar performances, it's certainly up for the task.

ianuaditis, Electric, DTK and 4 others like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

True, the songwriting might not be top notch but no other Stones album grooves and swings like Black and Blue. Charlie's good on it ain't he?

17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I love:
    Band Of Gypsys
    Black And Blue
    The Final Cut
    Trans

Beyond those four, the only others from that list I actually own are In Through The Out Door and Wild Life, both of which I seem to listen to once a year, if that...

Charlie definitely sounds good on Black And Blue, that's for sure!

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Plants is the only Stevie Wonder album I like all the way through. I find others that I've heard, a tad inconsistent (though usually with a few strong tracks).

I love The Final Cut. It's brutal, challenging & endlessly fascinating. I get the argument that it could be regarded more as a Roger Waters solo piece than a Floyd album. Either way, I still return to it regularly.

MonkeysCantSwing likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Fantastic drum sound.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  20. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Mojo trying to be controversial; or at least as much as they can, given their readership.

Ain’t nothing wrong with the Hendrix, Stones, Bowie, or Neil Young albums. Not their finest hours, perhaps, but all are solid.

I bought The Raven 2CD edition on the day of release, and thought it was awful. I couldn’t find one track to latch on to. So, I’m with them on that one.

21. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Charlie's good on everything ;)

22. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Earthling, Hot Space, The Final Cut, In Through The Out Door...

Not my favourite of any of those artists, but I love all of them.

carlwm and Man at C&A like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't have Got To Find A Way but I don't see how a Curtis Mayfield album from 1974 could be bad.

24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I wasn't aware that Band Of Gypsys or Black & Blue were unloved.....admittedly, I only listen to the first for one particular track, though.

Andrew J, DTK and Chris Schoen like this.
  25. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

I own all but four of these (Sinatra, Mayfield, Can, and Bowie). The one that really stands out is Band of Gypsys. If the question is "What's the weakest album released in Jimi's lifetime?" then maybe I can see it, but that's like asking "What's the worst painting by Vermeer?" There are so few of them, why bother?

I love Van Morrison, but in his career he's done a lot weaker albums than Hard Nose. Maybe the issue is that it was the first album he did that wasn't a classic. Same for Black and Blue, Trans, and several others which are very good but mark the end of a great run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.