Mona Lisa-Neil Jordan’s neo-noir classic

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Oct 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Haven’t watched this in quite a while. Great movie and one of Jordan’s finest. I was struck by the symbolism of the white rabbit and it’s connection to Alice in Wonderland-it symbolizing the fantasy vs. reality of the film.

Bob Hoskins only Oscar nominated role (he was robbed-sure Paul Newman is great but giving it to him for The Color of Money?).
    Great movie and a vintage slice of a London in 1985.

Karnak and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Hoskins should have won it for Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I'm absolutely serious. It was the most technically impressive piece of acting I've ever seen - most of his co-stars were tennis balls on sticks.

3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Newman should have won it for The Verdict

Solaris and Mark E. Moon. like this.
  4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Terrific film with an outstanding central performance from Hoskins. Also very much a time capsule as the London it depicts has mostly gone now.

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Great movie, he's better here than Long Good Friday. Caine is rarely asked to be a villian, he's excellent

6. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

For some reason I always remember one of the Michael Caine/ Bob Hoskins scene. I think it’s “ You bloody fool George, you bloody fool….Can’t you leave it Denny? No I can’t George”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.