(Monday I've got) Friday On My Mind

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ferric, Mar 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam Thread Starter

(Monday I've got) Friday On My Mind - The Easybeats

Any recommendations for a good EASYBEATS CD. Something NOT bright or NOT likely to cause ear bleeding.

Thanks

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Repertoire Records released a few Easybeats CDs, I have The Friday On My Mind Cd Repertoire REP 4162-WY 1992, They have release others. It's the "Friday On My Mind" LP with 7 bonus tracks. Sounds Great! Don't know if it is still available?

3. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Yep. All of the Easybeats releases on Repertoire are pretty good. In fact, they're all you need;, they pretty much cover everything (a few mono tracks show up on the Aussie ALBERT releases of the albums, but that's pretty much it).

-D

4. ferric

Thanks for the response. I have ordered the Reportoire - Friday On My Mind.

5. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I have been looking for decent Easybeats remasters for years. Here are my findings:

1. The 2 disc Australian Absolute Anthology is a brilliant compilation contents-wise but the sound (especially on Friday on My Mind and other later tracks) (to an Aussie Friday on My Mind is relatively "late" in the Easybeats career) is awful despite what allmusic.com says. What annoys me is that IF the master tapes are here in Australia why can't they release a definitive set of remasters?

2. The repertoires are better but far from ideal.

3. The German Zounds label compilation (which purports to be an audiophile label) is licensed from and sounds the same as the repertoires. It uses Cedar.

4. If you just want Friday On My Mind it sounds great on the old single disc Nuggets on Rhino, which also contains Heaven and Hell. Glorious wide stereo.

6. ferric

The Nuggets 2 on Rhino is what sparked a memory from my teenage (wasteland) years. So after listening to the 30 second mp3 of "Friday" on Amazon, I did some research on the group. I'm willing to roll the dice with an entire EASYBEATS CD.

Thanks for responding.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ferric guy,

Have you gone through about 5 avatars in about 4 hours? What happened to the donuts?

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hope you enjoy it!

9. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

You won't be disappointed. Harry Vanda and George Young were great songwriters, from the early Australian hits (Sorry, Women, Wedding Ring, She's So Fine) right through to the psychedelic stuff at the end (Music Goes Round My Head, Come in You'll Get Pneumonia, Peculiar Hole in the Sky).

They were HUGE here in Australia in the mid sixties.

10. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Pete,Stevie Wright wrote the lyrics to pretty much all the Easys stuff while they were in Australia (certainly the first 4 above).Harry Vanda only took over once his grasp of English improved from nothing when his family came to Australia,story goes he was learning the language as the band was making its ascent.FOMM is supposed to be the first English lyric Vanda had had recorded(Jeez !!,I've never written anything that good and it's my only language !!!).

FYI there is a website dedicated to Oz rock music from 1964-75 called MILESAGO,run by 2 good blokes,a really good info site,have a look around.

http://milesago.gq.nu/

Interview with Stevie Wright from last year.
    http://www.geocities.com/milesago2001/stevie-interview.htm

11. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Yes you're quite right Cousin, although the story about FOMM being Harry's first lyric sounds like one of those myths (unless he wrote it well before they recorded it).

The earlier releases For My Women and In My Book appear to be Vanda/Young compositions. Maybe he wrote them in dutch and Dick Diamonde did the translations!!

Thanks for the info on the website.

12. ferric

two words ...... Avatar Rolling
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.