Monitor Audio Silver 300 first impressions..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Ok. After trying different sources, varying connections, and the like...

Oddly enough, taking out and immediately replacing the jumper from the two sets of binding posts somehow did the trick.

Thank you for responding to me so fast and trying to help, caupina!

caupina likes this.
  2. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

You did leave the metal connector on joining the two sets of speaker terminals, right?

3. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Yeah, I left that but it didn’t work until I removed it and then put it right back. Weird.

4. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

There were silica gel packs screwed into the binding posts during unboxing, as I remembered later. So maybe some residue or something messing with the connection that was resolved by a quick removal and replacement.

This forum is awesome, though. Nice to have folks to help out with suggestions on a Friday night!

caupina and psulioninks like this.
  5. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Glad you got it solved....these are great speakers, enjoy them :righton:

ermylaw likes this.
  6. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Well I got it solved in one speaker, it turns out! But maybe the other one will come around eventually.

7. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Oh boy....keeping my fingers crossed ;)....let us know how it goes :shh:

8. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Still a no-go. I’m at a loss as to what the problem could be.

9. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that, so if you tried everything including what did the trick with the other speaker chances are something inside the speaker just failed, it could be a loose wire.

10. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

That has to be it. Although it is weird that the other one was doing the same thing and now isn’t. Could be an odd coincidence, I guess.

11. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

You bought them brand new, right? If so your dealer will take care of it but I know the feeling when you get a brand new toy home and it doesn’t work :shake:

12. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Did you try connecting the speaker cable that's attached to the working one to the other just to make sure it's not a wire/amp thing? Seems weird that both speakers have issues (even if one now works). Best of luck.. I'm a big fan/owner of these!

caupina likes this.
  13. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I did try that. I tried swapping the jumpers too. And I tried wiring the jumpers.

It has to be an internal problem. Nothing has worked.

Thankfully, I did buy them new so I’ll have to ship them back, it seems.

14. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

That's a bummer. How did the boxes look? I got mine from AudioAdvisor, so they traveling from CA to Minnesota.. but I noticed the boxes were also used to ship from Monitor to them, so 2 big trips. ALL of the styrofoam caps (top and bottom) were cracked.. luckily the speakers have been great (and AudioAdvisor arranged for new styrofoam to be shipped out). Sure hope all goes well for you.

15. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Had a very helpful service call with my seller (shout out to Safe & Sound) where he walked me through all sorts of attempts to diagnose the problem. All to no avail, however. Looks like I’ll have to get replacements: it seems like there must be some problem with the crossover somehow.

For anyone looking at this who might be concerned about QC, the seller said he’d not encountered this before, so I don’t think there are general issues.

Also, after deconstructing the speakers, I’m very impressed with the build quality. Truly remarkable inside there. And even though only one works, going back to my Wharfedale Diamond 10.5s this morning demonstrated the night and day difference that I’m in for when I get a working set of the Silver 300s running. I’m even more excited than before!

caupina likes this.
  16. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I assume they'll replace both at once?.. besides the other one being 'iffy,' the veneer is bookmatched. Glad you're sticking with them.. excellent choice!

17. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Yes, they both will be replaced. Hey, at least I get the excitement of two unboxings and hookups for the price of one!

ranch 22b and caupina like this.
  18. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Glad you're being taken care of...these are amazing speakers that get even better with time...hang in tight there :agree: ...time flies ;)

ermylaw likes this.
  19. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Thanks again for everyone’s help here as I tried to sort through the issue. The guy helping me today was impressed I’d already tried so many different troubleshooting things.

caupina likes this.
  20. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

The conclusion of last Friday night’s disappointing saga: I got in my replacement speakers this morning, successfully hooked them up at lunch, and am now breaking them in with some low-moderate volume Tom Petty! Very exciting!

caupina, Doc Diego, Rick58 and 2 others like this.
  21. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Congrats! And the Petty catalog will rock your Silvers with elegant Americana.

ermylaw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.