Monkees DVDs are expensive

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Upsiditus, May 11, 2020.

1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

That sucks... But, if they showed up once, they're bound to show up again (well, hopefully anyway)...

gkella likes this.
  2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I considered getting the BD set, but decided the DVDs were good enough. I watched the original series on a crappy B&W TV, so poor picture quality was part of the nostalgia factor, LOL.

905, gkella and RobRoyF like this.
  3. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

If you’re going for the nostalgia factor, the Japanese LD set is far superior to the DVDs.

The episodes were compiled from Columbia’s syndication prints (so, the second season opening for all episodes except “Too Many Girls”), the usual syndication soundtracks (with songs like “Forget That Girl” & “For Pete’s Sake” instead of their original network tracks), and a much brighter/warmer color palette than the dark and murky DVDs.

Before I got the blu-ray set, the LDs were what I’d watch when I wanted to see the show.

"R" Ed likes this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

5. Grand_Ennui

I seen a used copy of "The Monkees-Season 2" (Rhino release, in the mini record player holder) for $39.99 at a used media store yesterday afternoon... So, those sets must still be holding their value.

RobRoyF likes this.
  6. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Online, the older Monkees series DVD sets go for more than that most the time. I've seen them for well over $100 per season. So that's a good buy.

Grand_Ennui and audiomixer like this.