Monkees fan thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RedRoseSpeedway, Sep 21, 2018.

1. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover Thread Starter

I’m hoping this Monkees thread will be able to get some traction around here with the Monkeemaniacs on this forum like myself, what with the announcement of Christmas Party. I’m pretty excited about it! I’m just a big Monkees fan in general and I’m starting this all purpose thread (just like some others around here) to discuss any and all things Monkees related.

I’ll start off by saying I just got my hands on a copy of Missing Links Volume 2 yesterday, and it ranks up there with the best Monkees albums, just a really great collection of songs. My favorite on there would probably be St. Matthew. What’s your favorite song on Vol. 2?

2. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Prithee(Do Not Ask For Love) although I think it stands as a great album it itself.

Hep Alien, Deano6 and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  3. RedRoseSpeedway

I agree! It’s my favorite Missing Links volume imo. About Prithee, I don’t listen to Micky or Peter’s version too much, but was surprised how much I like the Missing Links version sung by Micky! I like it better than Peter’s version on 33 1/3

4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I really like "All The King's Horses" and The alt of "I Wanna Be Free".

5. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

My favorites have always been early version of Words, early Valleri, Prithee and of course the live Circle Sky. Still love this CD and love the flow, the great lost Monkees album!

6. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

The live version of "Circle Sky". That was the first time it was released in decent quality and I was so excited about that at the time.
    "Riu Chiu" was awesome to have back then.
    "Seeger's Theme" is probably the thing I play the most from there these days. I love that!
    "The Crippled Lion" & "Down the Highway" (which for many years I believed was "Michigan Blackhawk" due to that release) are big favorites of mine.

When it came out though, I was probably most happy about good clear releases of the TV versions of tracks like "All the King's Horses", "Valleri", "Words", "I Wanna Be Free" etc.

7. RedRoseSpeedway

Both those songs are great! ATKH is a great album opener and a Nez classic (shoulda been released way sooner) and I really really dig the alt version of IWBF. The faster tempo and addition of Micky’s vocals really makes it a better song imo. The instrumentation is wonderful.

8. RedRoseSpeedway

I dig that Peter’s vocals seem a bit louder to me in this version than the Pisces version

Hep Alien and BeatleStair like this.
  9. RedRoseSpeedway

Seeger’s Theme is really cool and way too short. I wish Peter had more material and definitely more material released in the initial run. Come On In is a real gem on this album. Down The Highway is a good song to drive to with the windows down! Haha.

Riu Chiu is gonna be a bonus track on the Target edition of Christmas Party with supposedly better audio than the previous release! That sounds interesting

John Bliss, Hep Alien and PhoffiFozz like this.
  10. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

It's a great album! My favorite off the album is Some Of Shelly's Blues but I really enjoy pretty much all of it, like the alternate version of Words and the tv version of You Just May Be The One.

11. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

a customer, I333I, BryanW and 3 others like this.
  12. RedRoseSpeedway

Oh shoot I didn’t see this! Well maybe this one will stay open anyway

13. RedRoseSpeedway

You
    Nez had so many good songs on that album

bvb1123 likes this.
  14. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

This is (possibly) my favorite Monkees tune. I have been known to repeat it several times in a row on my Amazon Music Player. Though I would much prefer to have it on CD, it unfortunately is not yet on that media. Damn, but this song makes me feel happy!

15. RedRoseSpeedway

I dig this version! When I wanna hear M&M I usually put this version on :)

wrappedinsky likes this.
  16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Vol. 2 is my favorite of the three Missing Links. Too bad it came out just a little late and didn't get the vinyl treatment. I think it'd be a cool little RSD thing if Rhino or even Friday Music wanted to put it out. The fast "I Wanna Be Free," "St. Matthew," "Circle Sky (live)," "Valleri (early version)" are definitely highlights. What's labeled as "Michigan Blackhawk" but is actually "Down The Highway" is a classic Nez country rocker too.

Hep Alien and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  17. RedRoseSpeedway

Was just thinking this yesterday! I really want a Missing Links colored LP box set, to go with my other Monkees colored vinyl :)

John Bliss likes this.
  18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

And it should be 6 discs: Missing Links 1, Missing Links 2, Missing Links 3 (2xLP), and a new Volume 4 (2xLP).

19. RedRoseSpeedway

6 LP BOX SET! The more the merrier. I saw a thread before about what people speculated could be on a vol 4, although I doubt it’ll ever happen

20. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Really like the version of Mr. Webster on vol.2. Yep a vinyl box set of the Missing Links series would be killer.

John Bliss and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  21. RedRoseSpeedway

At the very least Missing Links 2 should be put out on vinyl already, most people I think agree it’s the best one. Heck, I’d even take a repressing of the Missing Links series on CD! I still have to buy vol 1 & 3 and most copies of 3 go for over $30 which is annoying to me, but oh well

John Bliss and Hep Alien like this.
  22. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Glad I got them when they came out. And you're right. Vol. 2 rules!

Hep Alien and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  23. RedRoseSpeedway

Pool It!, Live 1967, and Missing Links 1-3 are becoming a bit pricey on CD :/

joy stinson likes this.
  24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Yeah, just about every little nook and cranny is out there with the deluxes. However, I think doing a vinyl reissue campaign would be a good way to go (ala The Byrds Sanctuary series) to get the best of the alternates, demos, sessions on the market in a different way. Plus, I'm sure they could throw little mix differences on them for the collectors. In fact, I'm sure they would seeing as that's how they've been going about every Monkees release since Arista had their catalog.

John Bliss and Hep Alien like this.
  25. 905

905 Senior Member

Midnight Train is my jam, as the young people at work would say.