Monkees HEAD from Rhino Handmade (Part two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I completly agree with you. I listened to it and found it very funny and enjoyable. I am glad that Rhino included it.P.S. My set arrived yesterday in perfect condition with the single and the John Brockman pin inside.:wave:

2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Got to listen to most of the set and I'm really pleased with it. I was particularly happy to finally listen to the Davy Jones 'Head' promo. As previously mentioned, this is perhaps the rarest of all Monkees collectibles, and to finally have a copy of it after all these years satisfied the collector in me. Many thanks again to Rhino and Andrew for fulfilling a Monkees collectors' dream.

A question to Andrew about the Davy interview promo: Is this taken from the record that was recently purchased from Ebay and were master tapes of this promo found among the tapes Rhino acquired from RCA? To my ears it sounds like the promo is from a vinyl source.

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Got mine today. Had to listen to the 20 min. Ditty Diego session first.
    Now I can't listen to the one on the 90s Head CD.
    Sounds like it was cut up on that issue.

Darryl

4. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

I noticed this on a couple songs, too.....the single versions of "Porpoise Song" and "As We Go Along" in particular. I'm guessing they might be a needle-drop.

My set just arrived today and it is in nice shape. I listened to the interview disc first and agree with FredV that it is really nice to finally be able to hear this. :)

Now I'm listening to the Rarities disc.

I liked both essays....but I really, REALLY wonder why we never hear a peep from Jack Nicholson about his contributions to the movie...or the soundtrack. Considering this is the be-all, end-all collection dedicated to the soundtrack, it would have been nice to have the person who put the album together weigh in on it, no? :confused:

The mono mix of Circle Sky is on right now...lot of punch to it. Me like!

5. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I've listened to it four times already and love it. It equally gives the lie to certain assumptions (i.e., Mike was a taciturn individual who took himself too seriously) and supports observations made by outside observers (the four in the studio at once would eventually devolve into chaos as they tried to top each other). You also HEAR the exhaustion that drove Peter to decide to leave the group - as well as the sometimes antagonistic relationship he and Davy had/have. Micky, as ever, can be goofy but is the smooth professional in terms of delivering "money" in the studio.

Perhaps the most fascinating moment is the exchange between Bert Schneider and Mike ("You sing, I'll produce"). Sounds like a private joke perhaps emanating from the days of struggling with Kirshner. Of course, it cannot be overlooked that this was the last time all four were in a studio together until 1996, performing a sketch-song that deconstructed and satirized who they had portrayed for the previous three years of their lives.

6. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Don't know if anyone else caught this, but the back cover of the 'Head' Outtakes and Rarities disc features the alternate color version of the back cover photo of the 'Head' album that was used on the Japanese edition of the album. I have a copy of the Japanese 'Head' album with the color back cover (which also has a totally different front cover). Rhino even included some Japanese letter at the bottom of the cover. Ed has a copy of the Japanese 'Head' album too and he can corroborate on the color back cover.

Now on to a totally different topic. For those who've heard the podcast of the 'Head' special from Andrew Sandoval's 'Come To The Sunshine' radio show, there is some dialogue from a deleted scene from the movie heard in the special. I thought this dialogue was included on one of the discs in the box set, but I didn't hear it. I'm guessing that the actual footage is going to be in the 'Head' DVD included in the upcoming Bob Rafelson box set. If this is the case, that makes all more reason to get the DVD, though I personally don't want to buy the box set just to get one movie. So, I'm hoping that 'Head' will be issued separately from the DVD set sometime in the future.

Attached Files:

7. dasjr

dasjr Forum Resident

Finally listened to the instrumental mixes on the bonus single. Porpoise Song has a full ending (no fade), and you even hear someone giggle. As We Go Along still fades out, but there's a take announcement and, if I'm not mistaken, a count-in from Carole King! Good stuff. :)

IronWaffle likes this.
  8. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

Mine arrived safe and sound today and I too am listening to the interview disc first; surprised how long it is, but of course there is some blank space in there too...for me, this and the ditty diego session are the real treats from this box set.

I know someone will do this, but here is my request for pics of the sleeves for itunes, for anyone who has a scanner. I went to album artwork exchange and they aren't posted yet. Also gracenote did not have the 3rd cd listed, so I upoaded the tracks, but thanks for whoever did the first 2 cds - those were the harder ones.

Save that shrinkwrap! protect your mylar cover...I should know, my original colgems got pretty scuffed up....(does anybody have a nice clear cover for these box sets?; I hate to just put them in a box in the closet).

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I already threw away the shrink wrap, and I'm storing the Head set carefully behind the Birds & Bees set in a safe place. It's probably a good idea to keep the set inside a plastic storage bag for safe keeping.

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Head has landed in Lexington! Yay! There is a pressure crease on the 45 sleeve, but otherwise everything's OK. I haven't listened yet, but I read the entire booklet yesterday, and there is plenty of interesting new info and some amazing photos. As usual, the packaging is amazing, stunning.

Why can't Apple/EMI treat the Beatles' albums like this?

I look forward to listening to the discs today, which are sure to please.

Kudos and thanks to Andrew and the rest of Team Rhino for doing a first class job all the way.

11. mjthomas001

mjthomas001 Forum Resident

Instrumentals

I have to say the instrumental single may be the best reason to get the box set. I heard things I'd never heard before! Very cool. These tracks definitely stand up to the best the Beatles did at the same time.

:righton:

12. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I just got mine last night and have not had the chance to listen to the whole thing, nor have I read the entire booklet -- so I apologize if the answers to my questions are addressed somewhere in it.

Regarding the Salt Lake City live set -- there are a couple of interesting things:

I assume these are brand new mixes of the original tapes. I did notice that although there aren't much in the way of backing vocals present (most definitely due to the distortion on the mics, which by all previous accounts rendered those tracks "unusable"), it seems like in "Sunny Girlfriend", Micky's voice is conservatively faded up when necessary. Sounds like there's a lot of noise on his vocal track -- not only distortion but lots of phasing as well. Even in these small doses, you can hear just how awful the problem was with the vocal mics. You can hear the noise coming through with his voice, and then faded down abruptly. It's a real shame that the recording turned out like this -- but hey, I'm grateful they were able to salvage these few songs.

The live "Circle Sky" seems to be 100% identical to the live version used on the soundtrack and issued on previous Rhino releases -- but Mike's vocal doesn't have the same qualities as the other live tracks. I assume this is the previously released mix, spliced into the set. Did Mike overdub his vocal for "Circle Sky" in the studio? If so, did his original vocal track from SLC still survive? If it is indeed the original live vocal track, how come it sounds so much cleaner on that mix than they were able to get for the other (previously unheard) songs?

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I have a scanner and will try to upload the sleeves tonight.
    What resolution do you recommend I scan them in?
    How do the tracks for the first 2 CDs look in Gracenote?
    Are the same wording as the back of the box?

Darryl

14. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Let me see if I can hit on some of this.
    I believe Mike's vocal is the only vocal that was recorded to tape. Every other vocal that you hear is being picked up by the amp mics as well as some bleed over onto Michael's mic. So I doubt that Micky's vocal was 'faded up' intentionally since it's likely not on tape as a dedicated track. If it were a dedicated track, we would have other songs on this set than all of Mike's tunes. So Micky, Davy & Peter's vocals were broadcast to the audience thru the PA system, but not run to the soundboard that captured the recording.

The original Circle Sky vocal was dumped for a studio vocal from Mike, which eliminates the room echo present on the other songs. Which in part is why it sounds better than the other live tracks mixed exclusively for this set.

15. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

Has anyone ripped these to digital yet for those of us just staring at our vinyl - wondering what we're going to play it with?

16. mr.schneider

For anyone that doesn't care about their 45 and would like to sell it, please PM me. I have a friend that would love a copy. Thanks!

17. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Hmm, I may be remembering it incorrectly, but hasn't Andrew said that the others' vocal mics were indeed recorded but that the tracks were distorted beyond recognition?

Give a close listen to "Sunny Girlfriend" -- does sound a lot like Micky's harmony vocal is being brought in and out.

18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

19. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

I wish Rhino would learn how to pack the sets. Wrap them in bubble wrap. I had a time with the Birds Bees set. Cracked/split, etc.

And their customer service was a nightmare. It took me over a month to get it corrected.

20. mr.schneider

Not sure. Don't have his book handy. We can kind of break it down, though. Look at the pics here:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=5930978&postcount=901

We know it was recorded on 8 tracks. Microphones include (by looking at the pics): drums [3 mics total] (overhead, bass drum & snare), [4th] bass, [5th] organ, [6] guitar, [7] Mike's vocal. Then there's the appx 8 overhead mics shown in the pics. That's 15 mics total, so far. Davy's, Peter's & Micky's microphones would make 16, 17 & 18. That would make for a massive mixing console in 1968! So now, I'm a bit confused myself.

Considering the concert was recorded specifically to capture Circle Sky and the other songs were bonus songs for the audience, Some as requested by audience members. With this in mind, a guess would say that there no reason for the other vocals to be recorded. Andrew knows. Early on in part one of this thread, he did say he had a lot to talk about. Perhaps he'll be along.

21. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

For resolutions: usually the bigger the better, when its too small and you blow it up, it looks fuzzy, but it only needs to be 400x400 or so. Gracenote looked good, you can always import and change to your liking.

Thanks!

22. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

:righton:

I usually scan at 300 dpi, and then resize to 400x400... works for me.

23. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

HI all - a short report on the sound. I think these stereo, and mono mixes really sound WAY clearer then the vinyl version I had before. The single mix (mono) of Porpoise song, is exceptionally nice, considering the fact that I had only heard terrible scratchy, poppy. . .versions. This release has some really nice bass not heard before.

I listened to this on my headphones, computer speakers, and my JBL system.

24. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

I know there's at least 2 Monkees fans here who can read Japanese. Can someone translate the Japanese writing please? Thank you.

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just uploaded Discs 2 & 3 over at album artwork.
    having trouble uploading Disc 1 because of the mirror finish.
    Always turns out gray.
    BTW, I scanned them at 266 dpi (best I could do).

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.