Monkees HEAD from Rhino Handmade (Part two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Is there a site that you are referring to? Link?

2. BenB5150

BenB5150 Forum Resident

3. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Has anyone ever mentioned the typo on the cover of the open-ended interview album LP/CD?

Well, I am now.

PS It's the Tork tune not called "Can You Dig It"...

4. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

Thanks! I trimmed them up a little bit...

Attached Files:

5. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Yeah, It instead of This.
    And if they're gonna put a question mark at the end of "Do I Have To Do It All Over Again?", then shouldn't "Can You Dig It" have one too?
    Can't do one without the other!

6. JDistheone

A working title?

7. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

日本ビクター株式会社 定価 ¥ 1,950

Japan Victor Joint-stock Corporation Fixed Price 1,950 Yen.

8. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Wow, that's pretty cool. So the 'Head' Deluxe set gets a showing on the Billboard charts even if it's not available to the general public? Very cool! :cool:

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Further evidence of the poor state of CD retail sales in general.

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Still no luck with Disc One.
    I think using a digital camera to take a picture
    of the cover would be better.
    Perhaps to show the mirror finish better.
    Sadly I have no digital camera at the moment.

Darryl

12. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Fred, my copy of the set hasn't arrived yet, so I can't see the back of the Head outtakes cover. But, since it has the "Nippon Victor" name on it, it's got to be from the original 60's release, not the 80's release on Arista. (Nippon Victor released all of the Monkees & First National Band records on the RCA label.)

Another thing to check for: does the back cover of outtakes sleeve spell Gerry Goffin's name correctly? The initial Colgems release in the USA spelled his first name as "Jerry", and the 60's Japanese RCA LP got it wrong too. (This was all worked out on this thread: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=226084)

Below are some shots of the 60's Japanese "Head" LP. Unlike the US version, the Japanese one was a gatefold, with two inner pages that fold outward. Its cover is textured silver foil, not the heavy mylar of the US version. (As a result it's not mirror-like, but it tends to photograph a bit better.)

Attached Files:

13. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

While I was rooting around for the RCA soundtrack, I also came across the 70's version on Bell.

The Bell release is interesting because it wasn't for sale. It was given to those people who bought a set number of the other eight LPs, which Bell had reissued. (I don't have any of the others, so I don't know how many you needed to buy. It might have been all eight.)

The Japanese Bell reissues had cardboard obis that folded over the top of the record. They didn't stay attached when the record was opened, so most were just tossed out.

And while I have seen examples of the Bell reissues with obis intact, I've never seen one for "Head". (It's likely none were made for it because it was not sold in stores.)

Below are pics of it. (The last picture is the final one I took of the earlier RCA release.)

Attached Files:

14. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

I didn't see it mentioned in the extras being advertised for the DVD. I would think that would be too big of a big selling point to not advertise it.

Maybe Andrew can comment on it?

Thank you!

I don't keep track of Billboard, or what it's practices are, but it does specify Soundtrack, as opposed to the general sales, which would explain the lack of TBTB&TM's appearance. I wonder if it made the top 200 of their regular chart? Speaking of Birds & Bees, that Handmade set gets my vote for the best single release in the history of Monkeedom.

15. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I'd vote it as a tie with HQ sessions as best single release in the history of post 1970 Monkeedom. After all, without the original 9, none of these deluxe sets would even exist :winkgrin:
    Gotta give some love to the original 9 Colgems releases.

16. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

You and Gerry should be pleased to know that they got it right - "Gerry Goffin".

17. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I listened to the whole set last night and loved it! I'm happy that the deluxe re-issue series got this far. I'm not sure if the series will continue but at this point it seems like a 'might as well finish it' type of thing. In any event, I can only feel the passion and dedication that Andrew has put into this series.

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I feel your pain.

The pennies they save on shipping cheaply packaged boxed sets add up, I guess. It makes me crazy when I receive a box in an envelope, obviously. I am amazed how many times they survive the USPS or UPS treatment, though.

19. mikew

mikew Forum Resident

The carboard inlay that holds my BB&M discs was damaged the same as yours when it arrived. I guess I should have complained about it.

20. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

The sound quality is probably the best I've heard for the material. I am a bit put off by the fact that there's not a single song I didn't own before though, just different mixes of the same seven or eight songs.

The live stuff is interesting.

21. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

What were you expecting? Not an attack; just curious.

22. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Just got Head DLX in the mail 2 minutes ago!!! Padded envelope, but everything inside is just fine - in fact, looks beautiful! That was pretty fast shipping considering my wife ordered it AFTER the release date! Okay - off to do some errands and then come back and listen.

23. BenB5150

BenB5150 Forum Resident

For those looking for a protective cover for this box set I used a large zip top freezer bag as temporary storage until I got resealable album sleeves used for 78rpm records. Thats as close as i've been able to find so far. I folded the excess over and taped it to make a nice clean look for now until I can find a better sleeve.

Ben

24. JDistheone

Well I have a digital camara, but it doesn't help much. I must have taken 30 photos, from every angle, mirrors, whatever...everything I could think of, but I just lack the equipment to capture this image the way I want. I'm just going to use the box set pic from the Rhino site.

25. JDistheone

Yeah this is it, a great photo that should have been used in America, you can better see Micky's face and I like that Peter is not puckering up!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.