Monkees Headquarters SDE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rlp, Nov 1, 2022.

1. JeffDB5

JeffDB5 Forum Resident

This is the 'You Told Me' mix that I've wanted to hear for years. Thank you for letting us know! And count me amongst those looking forward to an episode of your podcast dedicated to this new set.

2. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

Thanks silvertrees. That gives me some idea. I was hoping some more tracks would have found their way onto Youtube by now to give us a bit more of a taster but I've just got to try to be patient (that's difficult).

3. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

Received my order shipped email on Nov. 16th, saw tracking on the UPS app for delivery on Nov. 30th.
    I am okay with waiting another few days. I recently purchased the Headquarters Sessions CDs from Andrew S. through Discogs, so I've been enjoying those these last few weeks.
    As others have already mentioned, it's a treat just to have this available to us.

Tom Stigler and silvertrees like this.
  4. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Fred, I don't know if you're aware how often your podcast overlaps with this other great show, A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs by Andrew Hickey, but I wanted to say that it's really wonderful to have places to go to synergistically appreciate the sonic and historical context of some great '60s albums.

A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs

FJFP and FredV like this.
  5. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

I've decided to hold off from sampling any tracks from the net, so that I can take it all in once my set arrives. It sure is tempting though, especially when the early views of people having heard it have been largely positive.

6. Tom Stigler

Tom Stigler Speeds From 33.3 to 500 RPM, Depends on Artist

Same here. No emails yet from Rhino. . . Ordered on Nov. 1 . . . Contacted Dr. Rhino.

hoping t9 be pleasantly surprised when I get the mail one day :shrug:

Saul Pimon likes this.
  7. Tom Stigler

(Sigh) I ordered a day before you and haven’t even received a shipment email yet . . .

8. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I ordered day 1.
    Mine is scheduled for 11/30.

Did you receive an initial email receipt?
    Have you checked your spam mail?

Tom Stigler likes this.
  9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

My tracking has been updated.. item currently in Wyoming.
    The eastward trek continues.

siegel7825 likes this.
  10. Tom Stigler

Yep I have the initial email receipts on both purchases. It the shipping notification that MIA. Even turned SPAM off when I ordered to make sure I don’t miss anything.

Truly odd. But also an exciting journey because I have no idea what will happen next nor when it will choose to make it appearance on my doorstep :edthumbs:

The Beave likes this.
  11. I see run times only for the actual HQ tracks (for the album proper), none for any of the additional material.

12. Ken Weber

Ken Weber Forum Resident

I look up at my shelf that has the other Super Deluxe Editions and remember there being a delay with all of them, why should this be any different? Rhino picked the busiest time of year to release this (in terms of the post office and FedEx) but I’m grateful that it was green-lighted for release. I’m not disingenuous, just disappointed because you assume they’ll get it right the next time

BobT likes this.
  13. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Well I just checked my order on 11/7 and it just shows me the receipt, no status or shipped information at all. very annoying….
    Beave

14. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Same here, just the receipt and nothing more……
    Beave

15. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Also, the cold ending on Early Morning Blues & Greens is a game changer.

16. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

That was featured on the Bill Ingot mix issued in 1987 on Arista in the U.S. (and also on the Japanese "By Request" box set).

17. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Well it shows when *someone* told me there was nothing specifically unique there, it was all a lie!

What about the cold ending on Alternate Title here? Same deal or nay?

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. hidlive

hidlive made you look

Finally figured out how to use spoilers on this forum! Anyways, here's my review of the new set, having soaked it in for a couple days.

Pros:
    -the album remix is the best presentation of Headquarters possible, and is a must-hear for any Monkees fan
    -all of the "outtake" songs on Disc 1 are effectively Ultimate Mixes. Everything is faded up, and almost every track has an element you have NEVER heard before, ever. Even fans of All Of Your Toys will be surprised!
    -rarities previously deemed not up to par have been given the spotlight. I can't list them all, but my favorite right now is Davy's very emotional heartfelt take of Until It's Time For You To Go.

Cons:
    -If I Learned To Play The Violin suffers from sync issues, the vocals fall off tempo in the song's latter half. Thankfully this issue doesn't exist on any of the other, much better tracks.
    -the dissonant vocals from the Forget That Girl overdub session have somehow been corrected. Given the use of autotune on the most recent Prithee mix, I suspect it might be digital pitch correction.
    -as I mentioned prior, Sally has new backing vocals. Said vocals are way too spread out to be from a 4-track source, and they seem to all come from one singular person. I don't mind, but a little transparency would've been nice!
    Easter Eggs:
    -the "Jan Berry" intro of Forget That Girl is represented on the set
    -rehearsal take of Gotta Give It Time starts with the guitarist playing a BEATLES song!
    -Sugar Man doesn't sound like the YouTube upload, at all. It sounds like I Want Candy.
    -"a million dollars, an upstairs mate, a heated swimming pool..."
    -Fever is slightly longer! Huzzah!
    -you're gonna love the alternate backing vocals on You Just May Be The One. It's hilarious

19. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

My set was delivered today (along with the Tom Petty Fillmore 4CD box, woo hoo!). I'm a little bummed that the corners are slightly dinged-up (it was shipped in a box with some wrapping paper inside), but it's not bad enough to send back and ask for a replacement.

edit: I spoke to soon about the condition of the box--the inside cardboard "frame" that holds the CDs is also dinged-up and is torn on two edges. Not cool.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    FJFP and Tom Stigler like this.
  20. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

The Arista remix of Headquarters is similar overall to the original stereo mix but with cleaner sound (the drums in particular don't have the distortion the original had), but yes, there are some unique differences. Randy Scouse Git does have the cold ending, but it also fades out as well so you have to turn the volume right up to be able to hear it. The same thing happens with Early Morning Blues and Greens except not quite to the same extent (i.e. it fades out but the cold ending is easier to hear in comparison). These two songs have a couple of other minor differences too: the organ and percussion in Early Morning Blues and Greens don't pan about at the end and the timpani in Randy Scouse Git comes to a stop at the end of the first chorus instead of playing on for a few more beats like it originally did. Off the top of my head, a few other differences I noticed with the Arista remix are that the backing vocals on For Pete's Sake are panned over to the other side and it has a slightly longer fadeout, as do also Forget That Girl, Shades of Gray and No Time.

FJFP, Hep Alien, dangiedr and 2 others like this.
  21. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

An interesting bit about this song: Years ago, I was in contact with Marty Kaniger from Big Daddy, and more importantly, a member of Colgems recording artists "P K Limited". Marty told me that while they were signed to the label, he recorded backing vocals on a track or two from a Monkees session sometime around 1969. The title that he specifically remembered and named was "I Didn't Know You Had It In You Sally". He was unaware that the song had ever received any type of release.

izgoblin, viper66, JDistheone and 8 others like this.
  22. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

My set is stalled out at "on the way," having advanced past "label created" on the 22nd. It'll get here, but with no updates showing up from the tracking number, I can't build my mental Indiana Jones map where the airplane grows a red line behind it.

I like the "For Pete's Sake" remix on the YouTube video. I'm hoping that the new mixes of "The Girl I Knew Somewhere" and "All Of Your Toys" have a little more punch to the drums. Earlier remixes have had very tame drum tracks, I'm guessing because they were submerged in reduction mixes. It was quite some time before they attempted any kind of stereo mix of "...Toys."

23. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Didn't the 1989 Arista CD have that?

24. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

What really bugs me is the damage is on the INSIDE of the box. Don't they have any quality control at all on this?

[​IMG]

rocknrollforyoursoul likes this.
  25. Paul Sofronoff

Paul Sofronoff The Last Earbender

Outside of US you will not get tracking - this is from Rhino - “Unfortunately, we cannot provide detailed tracking information for orders shipping outside the U.S.”