Monkees Headquarters SDE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rlp, Nov 1, 2022.

1. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

UPS has updated my tracking to a tomorrow delivery for both. 1 by UPS and 1 by USPS.wonder which one will get here first?:laugh:

beatlesfan68, silvertrees and D-rock like this.
  2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The suspense is killing me! :sweating:

Miller92473 and BobT like this.
  3. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Regarding the damaged boxes:
    Same thing happened in 2016 with the blu-ray box of The Monkees TV show. Looks like a similar box this time also with damage inside. With the 2016 set, Rhino sent out replacement empty boxes to those who requested them.

audiomixer, D-rock and Tom Stigler like this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Mine arrived today in New York. Getting ready to listen now. Arrived in perfect shape. Looks terrific. Very excited to finally have a new installment in the series.

5. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

My box has made it across the country to Baltimore now. Maybe a Monday delivery, although tracking still says Nov. 30th. :pleased:

[​IMG]

6. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

That bass line and guitar lick are hypnotic! The middle eight with the "Wild Honey-like" organ solo takes the song to the next level. Love it all!!! :agree:

Amen! Hearing the stereo mix on the 2007 deluxe edition of HEADQUARTERS with double tracked Davy vocals showed just how much he could rock! :goodie:

Nicely done! :D

7. Tracy Robison

Tracy Robison Forum Resident

My box arrived this afternoon, three days ahead of schedule.

8. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Unboxing video.

D-rock, Phil D, RobRoyF and 2 others like this.
  9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

:realmad:

[​IMG]

10. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

The SDE liners show that it was Peter who laid down the initial bass track, and (something I kind of suspected) Chip Douglas doubling up that bass track in the final mix ("overdubbed bass"). The bass intro always has sounded like it was two basses (or a regular bass and a Dano-bass). Suspect Chip had to firm up some shaky spots. I had forgotten just how Peter was truly the "occasional" bass player on this album. He only appears on this ONE track - and at that, Chip had to overdub onto it. The original liner notes should have been more transparent - no mention of Jerry Yester (who played bass on 2 tracks) or John London (who played bass on 2 tracks), and brazenly saying....twice, no less....that Chip was the "occasional" bass player (on EIGHT tracks!) - if you're going to write a paragraph on how you're doing all the music now, it's pretty brazen to just falsify who really played bass. I mean - why not just disclose it accurately? Ah well....they gave up trying to play their own stuff by Pisces, anyway. Strange Monkees.

11. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I’m supposed to get mine on the 30th even though I was told it shipped on the 16th!

12. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

That's great. The East coast of America is its closest point to the UK. Only another 3000 miles to go.

siegel7825, FJFP and Isamet like this.
  13. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

Overall, I'm very pleased with Andrew's remixes. Some surprises and new experiences await on most of these songs on Disc 1.

Moreso, the liner notes are a great read. The details of what transpired from late '66 to Feb '67 are very well-presented, succinct and give me a much better appreciation of what Andrew was excited to share with us in his new edition of his book. With the book's appreciated attention to detail, it was at times difficult for me to really grasp some of the nuances of how quickly things were transpiring, and these notes really put into perspective how the Kirshner vs Monkees feud developed in such a short period of time. Andrew's book does provide a bit (well, a LOT) more of everyone's POV - I actually walked away with a bit better comfort in Kirshner's position. Not saying he (Kirshner) was right, but I do see where his authority was challenged and he needed to do what he felt he needed to do for his career. He misstepped - but seemingly he came out a lot richer from the court settlement.

The Gold Star demos - man. So great to have these!

jeremylr, dangiedr, RobRoyF and 7 others like this.
  14. hidlive

hidlive made you look

I’m glad they did! Packages being damaged during delivery usually isn’t the fault of the company who made em. Granted, this time around they could’ve wrapped it in some more bubble wrap.

silvertrees likes this.
  15. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I'm quite liking the mix as I A/B various tracks with previous versions. I think this will be the definitive mix for me from here on. I really like that a significant amount of reverb was removed from Mickey's vocal on "Gotta Give it Time" (compare to version on Good Times album). It's also nice to have a corrected speed on "You Can't Tie a Mustang Down".

Natural E, hidlive, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

They said the 16th but none of them moved until the 22nd or so

Isamet likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

There's a Nesmith vocal out there. Andrew played it before Micky's show.

18. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

Even if they doubled the speed of "You can't tie a Mustang down" it wouldn't finish soon enough for me - a ghastly song. I quite like "If I learned to play the violin" though so it's horses for courses (pun intended).

FJFP and D-rock like this.
  19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

i saw a pic online from a guy whose box was totally demolished!

UPS gave my box to the USPS who are apparently delivering it tomorrow.. a Sunday?
    We shall see.
    I wish UPS kept it.

D-rock and beatlesfan68 like this.
  20. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Mine arrived today and the first thing that I did was to listen to the remix.

I'll keep it short when I say....the remix is fresh and vibrant and yet still 1967.

Well done, Andrew!

CMcGeek, joelee, davenav and 9 others like this.
  21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I got that same msg and thought "well ****", with the USPS in my area .. who knows when I'll get it. I'd rather UPS deliver it.

22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Mine got transferred to USPS today. It still has a scheduled delivery for tomorrow. I highly doubt it. Hopefully Monday.

23. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Not for anything but when mine arrived today, the label said UPS Surepost and there was a USPS tracking number. But UPS delivered it. Go figure.

audiomixer likes this.
  24. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Well that's your opinion and you're stuck with it! (tee he he) I'm fortunate enough to like both tunes.

CMcGeek, 905, Natural E and 1 other person like this.
  25. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

My exact status, as well. I have known USPS to deliver on Sunday, so I'll be on the lookout tomorrow.

BobT likes this.