Monkees INSTANT REPLAY appreciation & potential Rhino Handmade deluxe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MusicFan76, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I seem to recall on Andrew's radio special there was a version he put up that had two different vocal tracks-that might be what this is.
    Anyway, this looks very promissing :thumbsup:
    I agree that there is enough missing to speculate that a Present set could be made as well. Let's all do our part to get the last set released :cool:

2. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

This is excellent! And it leaves the door open for a Present box, it seems. I'm hoping that in order to put out 3 discs' worth of late '69/Present-era material, they've managed to find a live recording of the guys with Sam & the Goodtimers.

3. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Going by past experience, since it says "1969 mono mix" and not "prev. unissued 1969 mono mix," it could be the Monkee Business second pressing version, which was mono. Or something else. And there's always the possibility this track listing could change before it "goes live" or however you want to say it.

(EDIT: BTW...what happened to that version of "Forget That Girl" with the President Johnson/Jan Berry chat from the second pressing of Monkee Flips? I don't think that remark showed up on either the Headquarters deluxe edition or Headquarters Sessions. The "Someday Man" thing just reminded me of that.)

Lots of questions swirling around my head, but I imagine they will be answered in time. ("Thoughts keep turning round in my mind...") I also note several key songs from the later sessions which are absent, which suggests maybe they are being held back for a deluxe Present. But if they do one -- first, it will depend as always on sales, but c'mon, all of these have sold beyond what they expected, right? -- wouldn't it necessitate rehiring Andrew, at least on a freelance basis? Maybe the Friday Music reissues are examples of what happens when Andrew isn't involved in a Monkees reissue project...

Anyway, looking forward to this one for sure. And it's also kind of nice to see Peter Tork represented too.

4. MarkTheShark

Amendment to above -- I just looked over the track listing again and realized that none of the tracks are identified as being previously unreleased, even though several of them clearly are. So as Emily Litella would have said, "never mind.":D

5. MarkTheShark

Okay, I'll be the first. I haven't received mine yet. Who opted for free shipping? Did you get your bonus cut-out cereal box record?:hide:

6. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

:laugh:
    OK, last page someone did complain about shipping prices. What did you see that got you to post about it?

7. MarkTheShark

Just monkeyin' around -- remembering past Monkees reissues, starting with the deluxe editions of Headquarters and Pisces with the bonus 45, which led to pages and pages of people asking if anyone else received theirs yet, whether they opted for free shipping or not and whether that affected how soon it got received, who did and who didn't get the bonus 45s and 1980s posters, etc. Remember?

Just havin' some sarcastic fun. (Hey, I'm excited about this too -- just like in the past, once I order it I'm sure I'll be checking the mail every day for it myself.)

8. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

For the BB&M box set, I opted for free shipping, and I was one of the last to get my set. For the Head box set, I opted to pay, and I was one of the first to get it. Any guesses which way I'll go this time???:laugh:
    Can't wait to see the cover. I'll bet it's a lenticular :agree:

9. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

As others have said,the omission of certain key tracks does suggest that a Present Deluxe edition is in the works. I am very exited by the looks of this release. Happy to see 33 and a third represented. Glad to see Peter is still represented also.With my versions of Instant Replay and Present I use old Peter songs from Birds and Bees to keep him in the band. Hopefully when and IF Present Deluxe comes out they will have found Peter's 1969 solo sessions and put them on there. Oh well first things first Let's make Instant Replay Deluxe official. :wave:

10. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Which solo Tork sessions from 1969? I don't think I have ever heard of them? You mean his "Release" material?

11. readr

readr Forum Resident

Yeah, I pretty much nailed it. This set is going to be great! I'm having a bit more trouble fleshing out a Present box for 3 discs, especially since they reissued that album and Changes on the Friday label. Looking at the current set makes me hope they just do a last box called Missing Links Deluxe.

12. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Great news! :righton: With all of those Nesmith tunes, this may become my new favorite Monkees! :laugh:

Can't wait to hear the 6:22 Shorty Blackwell and the other alternate versions. Really though, there's a whole boatload of great stuff listed there. I hope it's successful enough to get Present released!

:cheers:

13. Tracy Robison

Tracy Robison Forum Resident

And they better use the original cover, or else!;)

14. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Just noticed that on one of the versions of "Saginaw" it says "LP". Huh?

15. dasjr

dasjr Forum Resident

By "LP", they may mean "Missing Links 2". Same goes for "St Matthew". Just a guess.

16. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

And what's with the "UK Mono Mix" of "While I Cried"? Did IR have a dedicated mono release over there? And wasn't a mono mix of this track on the Birds & Bees box?

Bizarre stuff - consider the appetite whetted!

17. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Right but ML2 was never released on LP.

18. dasjr

dasjr Forum Resident

True, but it's the closest guess I can come up with. ML2 was the first time either track appeared on an official release.

19. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

This should be great! This past summer, I spoke to Andrew when he was on the road with the Monkees and he said this Replay box has more previously unreleased material than the Birds Bees box did! That's pretty hard to comprehend, but it's apparently true!

Buy this release to insure there's a Present box issued!
    Sales from previous Handmade sets have proved enough interest for another Monkees release; chain reaction~ BBM, Head, Head LP, Replay... keep buying kids!!!

20. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Yes, His Release material. Also the song/songs that he supposedly submitted to the Easy Rider soundtrack and the sessions he did for Atlantic records. My memory and information may not be correct but I thought that is what he supposedly did during this period.Who knows, there is very little information about this period that I am aware of but I am still hoping that something could possibly come up.:wave:

21. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Thankie for clarifying that for me. :)

22. MarkTheShark

Or else you'll cut Davy and Micky's heads off?:D

Actually, I prefer the original US cover too -- I guess because it's the original US cover and the one I was familiar with. (I mean the one with which I was familiar, I know a preposition is the wrong word to end a sentence with.)

23. MarkTheShark

Let's cap it off with 3 CDs of forgotten, undocumented Changes outtakes...

...or not...

(Just got thinking, how good could "Ride Baby Ride" and "Which Way Do You Want It" have been if they were left off of Changes?)

24. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

Mr. S - this is a no brainer. I expect this one to surpass "Head" deluxe box set in sales and probably match "The Birds, The Bees & the Monkees" deluxe set.

25. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Interesting..I provided Andrew a copy of "While I Cried" from the UK mono pressing to ID the mix for me. I see now, I wasn't crazy to say it was indeed a dedicated mono mix, like I have been trying to get someone of agree with me for years now. It looks like that mix is included here. I guess my question, is it the needle drop?

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.