Monkees INSTANT REPLAY appreciation & potential Rhino Handmade deluxe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MusicFan76, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

But if they used the videotape, why wouldn't Listen to the Band and I'm a Believer be included? Otherwise, I agree.

I wonder if one of those "If I Ever Get to Saginaw" will be Davy's version... is he the only other one to sing that one?

I also wonder if a new thread should be started now that the news has broke?? To make sure everyone knows.

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Saginaw could quite possibly be my favorite song they recorded, though St, Matthew is a close second.

3. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Not yet. Wait until the official announcement. All we have right now to go on is a screenshot of tracklistings that was quickly pulled from the Rhino site.

4. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Davy's version was recorded after The Monkees.

5. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Oh, okay. Thanks.

6. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Yeah, and since the Head LP is being released on October 25, they really probably didn't want that track listing out there yet.

7. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

I hope Replay does as well or bett'uh!
    I dunno, tho. There are lots of folks that don't venture this far into The Monkees catalog. I love this era of the Monkees. Their varying tastes and individual productions styles make for a very interesting listen. Personally, I'm more excited about this box set that any other!

8. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

If memory serves, that quote does appear on Headquarters Sessions. It's been quite some time since I gave that set a spin all the way through, but I'm sure it's on there. The President Johnson quote, if my brain is working correctly, was edited from some longer between-takes banter, and was pasted onto the front of "Forget That Girl" on Monkee Flips. It's heard in context on Headquarters Sessions -- I just don't remember where.

9. bubba-ho-tep

I have a feeling that anybody who bothered with the BB&M and Head deluxe sets will likely dive into the Replay and potential Present sets with glee.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I skipped the Head set since it largely offered alternate mixes that I didn't care much about, I didn't care about the interview, and it seemed too pricey for a few live tracks.

I will get this one in a heartbeat.

11. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

You never know -- don't forget that "Steam Engine" sat unreleased for years while "Ladies Aid Society" was unleashed on the world in '69.

12. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I agree that this one will sell almost as well as the BB&M set. After all, these 3 disc sets are for the die-hard fans. And, unlike the Head set (which I love btw), there are a lot more songs to put on this set. Another thing to consider, most of the people buying this have probably realized (through Rhino's newsletters, website, facebook, and forums such as this one) that buying the set currently on sale will help set up creating the next set.
    I think with good sales like the last 2 sets, we will see a Present deluxe set sometime next year!

13. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

Those two were recorded live. The other songs have studio backing tracks. I'm guessing Andrew was trying to avoid live recordings.

14. bubba-ho-tep

So that will potentially leave Changes as the sole album not receiving the deluxe treatment (assuming Present gets a box)

15. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

What's really crazy is, all their best-known, best-selling albums got the 2-CD treatment, while the more obscure stuff is getting the super deluxe versions.

16. bubba-ho-tep

A somewhat welcome by-product of the poor sales of the Rhino deluxes of the first four albums. I'll bet that if sales had been up to expectations we would have received 2-disc deluxes of the others.

17. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Thanks! That makes sense. I'll have to give that set a spin, haven't listened to it in a long time. Kind of like how Micky's "Hello" telephone thing was recorded before a "Star Collector" take, but was edited right onto the beginning of the final mix, just because it sounded cool, I guess. And provided a counterpoint to the "bye bye" stuff at the end.

18. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

You're right, and I consider "Steam Engine" one of the BEST tracks the Monkees ever did. Should have been a monster hit. Oh well, it's our little secret!:D

19. mr.schneider

Changes will be one long, 30 minute, hidden bonus track at the end of disc 3 on the Present Box! :angel:

20. music4life

music4life Senior Member

That's the way I feel about it, even though I had to have it. It wouldve been better value if the movie itself had been included instead of that Davy interview disc,,,

21. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

They can do "Present", skip over "Changes" and venture right into the much-needed First National Band 3-CD set complete with backing tracks, unreleased alternate versions, demos and an unearthed live show from Topeka in October 1970.

22. mr.schneider

AND WHERE ARE "THE GOOD EARTH" SESSIONS I WAS PROMISED??????

Crossing fingers it makes Present. ;)

23. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

This is looking quite promising.

And I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm the only person really, really hoping for a Changes box. C'mon, I can't be the only one that loves that album! It's not nearly as bad as its reputation!

24. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Hey, I like Changes, too. But, what would you put on it? There are very few alt versions (I think the mono mixes for TV are folds), and other than the bonus tracks listed, there isn't anything available. Unless you put side 1 on one disc, side 2 on another, and the 6 or so bonus tracks they could do on disc 3. Not too much of a set, is it?

25. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

I really do think that it is!

(I'd buy the deluxe remaster though) :help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.