Monkees INSTANT REPLAY appreciation & potential Rhino Handmade deluxe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MusicFan76, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

It was never finished- no vocals. It is a backing track only.

2. HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY Forum Resident

That would fill it out for sure. I never heard that podcast. Is it still up? Would like to hear it if it is. Where would the link be?

3. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

I posted this in another thread but here it is again...

Just found this posted by Monkees.com for their FB page (it was in the comments):

A Deluxe Edition of INSTANT REPLAY sure would be nice, wouldn't it...hmm...

4. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

I haven't the slightest idea why you want to knock Rhino so much and praise Friday Music. What are they (Friday) releasing that you don't have already? I had the copy of Present on Friday. Got rid of it. It does not "sound way better" than the Rhino, sorry.

Rhino has done a hell of a lot more for The Monkees than Friday Music. They didn't "drop the ball". Aren't they (Rhino) still releasing Monkees product? They just sold 500 LP w/ bonus 45 orders. Give them some credit.

I don't get why you praise Friday Music for throwing out a reissue with dull artwork and the same exact bonus tracks from almost 20 years ago...

5. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Yeah, with the flood of amazing items Rhino has given us over the past 5 years or so -- including one announced just this week -- it's astounding that anyone would claim that Rhino doesn't care about issuing new Monkees product. :confused:

6. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Rhino is throwing more hints bout a Instant Replay release on FB. They posted a YouTube vid of The Monkees on The Glen Campbell Show then asked what LP "Tear Drop City" was from hmmm ...

7. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Well, we can be pretty sure something will be released from Rhino concerning Instant Replay. The only question now is exactly what?

8. bmanley63

bmanley63 Forum Resident

Yes... Rhino appears to be throwing out a few clues about an Instant Replay Deluxe release on their Monkees.Com facebook site... I would think we will see something within a week or two regarding a confirmation of what the plans are. I doubt they will limit Instant Replay to a simple vinyl release. Pretty sure we are talking Deluxe Edition.

9. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Mr. Sandoval has said he worked on a deluxe Instant Replay, but it was up to Rhino if they do anything with it or not. He posted that on his Facebook page some time back. But I don't recall if he said whether the theoretical project had been "completed" or not. But if they have it in the can, it makes sense to put it out, given how well the last two deluxe editions sold.

What I don't understand is Rhino deleting the first four 2-CD deluxe reissues and replacing them with single-CD versions with no bonus tracks at all. Unless they are ultimately planning on...no, I'm not even going there!

10. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Missed this news the first time around. Fantastic news!!! :goodie::cheers:

Hopefully they'll include everything possible in this release!

11. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I was a huge Monkees fan at the time.

I purchased the album only having to return it several times, after replacement, due to skipping on the song "You and I".

After swapping it out several times, the store refused to refund my money.

I exchanged it for the "The Doors".
    After that, it was the last Monkees LP I ever purchased.

12. zen

zen Senior Member

:agree:

13. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I see teases for an Instant Replay deluxe edition, and all I want to do in return is shout "PLEASE JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY" from the hilltops. :)

14. Agreed. I wish both Rhino (with "Instant Replay") and Friday (with "Pool It!") would just announce something already. I need a fix!

15. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What are the chances that the audio of "Nine Times Blue" from the Johnny Cash Show appearance will make this set?

16. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I deleted my Face Ache page so if they announce anything major, please post it here?

Fingers crossed for all those backing tracks from Nesmith!

17. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

How long does Rhino usually take between the time they drop hints like this and make an official announcement?

18. tentimesblue

tentimesblue Active Member

Now although all those backing tracks would be very exciting, I bet IF (I wish I could say when) there is an IR DE they will drag up some surprises for us that aren't described in Andrew's book. I believe that quite a few of the BB&M acoustic versions were not mentioned in the book. So roll on acoustic versions of Don't Wait For Me, Listen To The Band etc. Unless they save the acoustic version of LOTB for the Present DE but now I am in dreamland.

Any other outlandish ideas for the IR DE?

19. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The original cover?

20. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Release demos included in the set (to get Peter some royalties on this set).
    We know they probably do not exist, but he did ask for outlandish ideas, right?

21. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I would hope that Peter is presented somewhat if this release happens. After all, much of the album is stuff previous to the initial album sessions. I wouldn't mind if it turned into a kind of 'Odds and Sods' type of box set. It could feature outtakes from all eras. I wouldn't mind.

22. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

5.1, baby!!

23. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I get the feeling that since Friday Music has reissued both "Present" and "Changes", this box will be the last one from Rhino. With that in mind, they should go all out for it. Those Nesmith backing tracks have been staring at me from the Scrapbook and Sandoval's book long enough. I want to hear each and every one of them and anything else from Mike that's still laying around. I would also like to hear "Opening Night" and the unfinished "How Can I Tell You". "If You Have The Time" could use some remastering/remixing too. As for Tork, he chose to quit so it's his own fault if he doesn't receive any royalties for appearing on "I Won't Be The Same Without Her" (which he probably wouldn't anyway). Are there any early mixes of "Shorty Blackwell"? At one point, he did add an acoustic guitar to that, yes? Do we really need more demos/mixes/versions of "Lady's Baby"? No thanks.

24. readr

readr Forum Resident

Since the IR Deluxe probably will only take up 2 discs, I would want the 3rd (bonus) disc to be The Monkees Live In Japan, and maybe other audio from tv spots or radio promos. And, as an awesome 4th disc (more outlandish), I would like an edited 33 1/3 soundtrack which included the incomplete backing tracks as well. It would be acceptable to just add those 33 1/3 backing tracks onto discs 1 or 2 -- how much bonus content could IR yield anyway. There's Teardrop City (mono), Nesmith's Nashville sessions alts, Shorty alt mix, You And I alt mix, Of You alt mix, Rosemarie (2nd ver), Smile, Boyce/Hart tracks (noddlings), That's What It's Like Loving You (backing track), Nine Times Blue, Carlisle Wheeling (2nd ver), and maybe a couple other things I'm overlooking. But, that's maybe a disc/disc 1/2 worth of bonus tracks. There's plenty of room for 33 1/3 bits. Anyway, whatever it is will be groovy and I'll buy it fo-sho.

25. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I think it will be 3 discs in a big box (probably another lenticular). My idea is all of Mike's Nashville tracks (and maybe a couple of the demos of those songs),Stereo/Mono/alt versions of IR songs, and all of the Monkee written songs from the '69 sessions (including songs off Present and all 3 We'll Be Back In A Minute variations). Perhaps a song or 2 from TV programs from '69, and a couple of instrumentals and/or backing tracks. The liner notes will be the same format as the last 2 big boxes, and will include the artwork of the double LP Present (like the little bit we saw in the Present CD liner notes).
    Well, what do you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.