Monkees INSTANT REPLAY appreciation & potential Rhino Handmade deluxe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MusicFan76, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Sounds good to me -- speaking of "We'll Be Back In A Minute" (official title: "TV Music Bridge"), I remember hearing an audio-only version of that (apparently recorded by someone off the TV between 1969-1973) which sounded different to me from both versions on Missing Links Volume Three. I don't know if that means it was sped up or distorted, or if the one remaining "officially unreleased" version ends up being the one (?) they actually used? I tuned in to the Saturday reruns at least once, but I was just a little kid and I barely knew who the Monkees were at the time. Anyone out there remember any specifics about this bumper, and what visuals went with it?

Davy Jones has released some of his demos from this period on his own CDs. There is a really cool (yet haunting) version of "Opening Night" on Just For The Record Vol. 2 with Charlie Smalls on piano, one of them has a demo of "If I Knew," one has just the backing track of "The Girl I Left Behind Me" (with a count-in) etc. Although the latter is the Instant Replay album track version, which I guess was recorded in 1966. All the Davy stuff is worth checking out -- I was actually pleasantly surprised, there's some good stuff there.

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Only if they can get a clean copy without the announcers...Otherwise, havent we all already got it?

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Bring it on...
    I'd be happy with 2 discs & ecstatic with 3.

Darryl

4. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

I have it on good authority that it's going to a 3 disc box, with the 3rd disc filled with the entire session of "The Good Earth."

5. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

I will still buy it!

6. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Why can't you be good?

7. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

sounds good to me! now make it happen:righton::)

8. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

... on the good earth!:righton:

9. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Maybe a couple of the demos? No, I want it all!! :winkgrin:

10. readr

readr Forum Resident

I've said it here a lot that I hope we get a 1969 Box from Handmade as the final set......but I think these hints are suggesting it would be an Instant Reply box, only. I think if they can do a Head box, than they could easily do an IR box. Might as well, they can do a Present box too - more money we spend. Now, being that they can only do one disc for the album section of Instant Replay, and add a few bonus tracks, the second disc would probably focus on alt and mono mixes (like Head)......plus a few more bonus treats (like Nesmith's Nashville productions). That leaves a third disc wide open. My suggestion (which I think trumps the Head Interview disc) is either a 33 1/3 soundtrack (with a lot of the incomplete multi-tracks as bonus content) or their 1968 concert in Japan (they have a very good copy, IIR). I would hope for the 33 1/3. But, I do think we're getting just an Instant Replay box, if we get anything at all -- and a Present box later.

11. bmanley63

bmanley63 Forum Resident

I would love to hear a full length version of the snippet from BB&M Deluxe with Dolenz's unpolished vocals on Shorty Blackwell... I think he sounded great and it adds depth to that song (which I think is over-produced). Also, wonder if there are any more versions of YOU & I that rock hard. I really think this set is going to happen. The Monkees Facebook page posted yet another 1969 teaser (Kool-Aid ad) on Friday.

I think the 1969 box was a great idea... featuring both LP's (IR & Present). Would have liked to have seen that. But I honestly am more of a fan of Instant Replay than Present (which too often sounds like cocktail lounge music at a local Holiday Inn... ex. Pillow Time, French Song, etc)

12. zen

zen Senior Member

:agree:

13. dasjr

dasjr Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that, with Friday releasing Present and Changes, the next box set will have just the Instant Replay LP, but with at least one version of every usable then-unreleased song from sessions for all three albums, plus the best alternates of the released stuff. As such, it will be the last Handmade box set, which I've no doubt will take up three full-length CD's (and a bonus 45rpm). And, with Pool It and Justus getting the Friday deluxe treatment, that will be that. My two cents.

14. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

15. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

LMAO!!!:laugh: I totally forgot about your amazing creation, Michelle! Love the lenticular cover idea too!;)

As far as the music goes, I'll pay for anything and everything they can pull out of the archives for the Monkees final three albums.:goodie:

16. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

In my best Mr. Burns voice; Excellent, It is all coming together!:D

17. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

What are the chances that we'll get to hear stuff like Impack or Empire? I'd really like it, but I doubt we'll get them.

18. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I think there is a chance. Remember that there was a couple of backing tracks on the BB&M box set. As long as we don't get the Pinball Machine recording :rolleyes:

19. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

ME TOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

20. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I definitely want to hear that! :righton:

21. BenB5150

BenB5150 Forum Resident

22. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident

All of a sudden it's gone quiet. No more hints on facebook? Any info? I need this already!!

23. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

Yeah I noticed that too, no more hints. Ever since the Head LP was delayed I guess, perhaps they wanted to wait until after that release.

24. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. Come on, guys! Give us the updates! Anything!

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

+1

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.