Monkees New Christmas Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jfmlaugh, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I’m officially letting myself listen to Christmas music. I immediately opened this one after buying the Target edition and looking at it for a month. I’m digging it so far!

2. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

3. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

905 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  4. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

5. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Loving this song and video:

6. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I would doubt it was actually a finished recording. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was never really recorded and only demo'd or rehearsed or something. It's been very unclear as to what exactly what was done with it and it seems that it was rejected fairly early on in the process. - Although I would love to be completely wrong!

7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

8. jfmlaugh

Looks like the Unwrap You At Christmas Single Mix is available for download on iTunes and Amazon.

[​IMG]

9. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

During the live chat they said the "Unwrap You At Christmas" (Single Mix) was remixed by Tom Lord-Alge, which is surprising to say the least.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  10. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I like the video with the comic strips as the visuals. Well done. I'm also enjoying playing the Target version of the CD.

11. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Good2BAnywhere wrote:
    Nice Christmas sweaters, but I will pass on those.

I really dislike Christmas clothing, even if I like how those look. Now back to Christmas Party album listens.

Iceman08 likes this.
  12. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I remember reading at the time in the old Monkee Business Fanzine that it was nixed because Jones had a co-writer on the tune-- and that didn't fit in the "Just Us" category. But I seem to remember that it was a finished tune.

I also remember reading in MBF that Peter was VERY surprised to learn after the fact that You and I had been released on the DJBH lp.

cwitt1980, Iceman08, Boognish and 4 others like this.
  13. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Thanks for the heads-up. This would have been a nice RSD release. Anyone know if a physical single will happen? Based on the 30 second Amazon sample, sounds like the sleigh bells are louder and more background vocals are present on the single mix.

Boognish, Hep Alien and jfmlaugh like this.
  14. jfmlaugh

I’m thinking we get a RSD release single next year.

Also - John Hughes teases a gatefold for Christmas Party and said rest assured, we'll do something special for the vinyl release. Hopefully they will add Riu Chiu, Christmas Is My Time Of Year and also include White Christmas, MTV Christmas Medley, Deck The Halls, Greensleeves and other surprises. Make it a deluxe!!

Iceman08, Boognish, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  15. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

Are there any noticeable differences between the single and album mixes? Deciding whether or not to download the single on Apple Music.

16. PhoffiFozz

It's definitely a different mix. It sounds pretty different to me. It's less dry, more in-your-face and arguably more radio friendly. But there are no differences in the musical content as far as instruments and vocals go and on a casual listen, people who are not music fanatics wouldn't really notice, I don't believe.

The youtube video uses the single mix, so perhaps you can listen there and decide if it's worth it to you.

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Based on the 30 second Amazon sample, sounds like the sleigh bells are louder and more background vocals are present on the single mix.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. This is pretty much how it sounded to me. IMO, it's not a major difference from the album version.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. PhoffiFozz

I decided to sync the two mixes together and listen for exact differences.
    All the differences are minor.
    The only real "musical" difference is the crash cymbal on the intro lasts a lot longer than the album mix.
    There are different compression and delay effects on lead and backing vocals. (minor)
    The drums are little more up front in the original mix.
    The scat vocal that doubles the guitar solo is more prominent in the new mix.
    The fade starts slightly earlier on the album mix, but is slower and lasts longer than the single mix.
    I actually think the sleigh-bells only seem louder because the drums are quieter. Because I thought they were louder too, until I did this...

20. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Hardly sounds like Micky at all, his voice is so processed.

21. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Video for "What Would Santa Do?" - Released today 12/6/18 - a week after the other single (Unwrap). It has the very similar comic strip display as the previous video.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    jfmlaugh, D-rock, Boognish and 2 others like this.
  22. FredV

FredV Senior Member

23. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Hmmm...maybe their plan is to use the same video for every song on the album and just change the text. I can't say I'm disappointed, because I didn't expect another video, but this seems weird.

905 and Boognish like this.
  24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

While they are similar, there are different images in the new video.

25. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

More than similar

Boognish likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.