Monkees New Christmas Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jfmlaugh, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

If it’s going to be a Christmas album, can Nez please put on the green wool hat for old times sake? He can sing Kirshner Got Run Over By A Reindeer.

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, neither George nor John ever appeared on a McCartney album when they were alive, so why would he have them on one posthumously? At any rate, I'm sure McCartney would never release something under the Beatles' name without Lennon and Harrison contributions of some sort though.

In the case of the Monkees... yeah, there's been some Monkees albums that don't feature all four of them. But if you can include all four, why wouldn't you? To me, that's always the most ideal scenario. In this particular case, there's a plethora of Christmas recordings available by Davy Jones, so it seems like a no-brainer to use one (or even two) if licensing permits. A new Monkees album is inevitably going to be Micky-heavy because Mike chooses to limit his involvement and Peter quite frankly doesn't have the voice to sing more than a couple songs. Having a Davy song on there makes things more varied.

D-rock, Ginger Ale, jeremylr and 2 others like this.
  3. DanofDune

DanofDune Forum Resident

These are my thoughts exactly. I don't want to smear David but he's the Monkee that, to me, is just entirely disposable post 1969. I don't like any of his solo output, with the exception of Incredible, and I don't like any of the choices he made post 1969 regarding the Monkees project. He successfully torpedoed the Monkees' 1980's comeback due to his fall out with Artista and MTV, he was very into Entertainment "Schlock" (That Elvis suit in 96, and that stupid Archie Bunker skit in his solo act), and he seemed to fancy himself a crooner, which might play big with the middle-aged/senior lady market... but certainly didn't do anything for the Monkees critical image. Plus, he was always feuding with Mike and Peter, which I suspect has to do with the fact that Davy's solo career has always sucked, and he was intimidated by their musical achievements. I always skip Love to Love on GoodTimes, and replace it with Terrifying. Its a better listening experience.

4. DanofDune

DanofDune Forum Resident

I guess you wouldn't include all four of them because one is dead? And, the other three are perfectly capable of generating music without the dead guy. It's not like Davy is Freddy Mercury, and even Queen releases stuff without Freddy.

That said, you are absolutely right about the need for a more "varied" listening experience. I almost feel like the Christmas album should just be a Micky solo project with tracks that feature Peter and Mike, like Peter's Stranger Things Have Happened. If Mike and Peter won't be that involved, then don't force the Monkees name to be a component. Let Micky do the heavy lifting.

D-rock and Boognish like this.
  5. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

While I agree with many that a "regular" album would be much more preferable than a Holiday album (will always want to here a Difford/Tilbrook, Monkees collaboration). I would still like to see Davy included on a track. I think at this point that is what the formula was for Good Times! and may be again. Maybe the later day Davy vocals are too hard to make a good Monkees song from, I will say that any song, with the proper arrangement and production can become something way different from another version. I have eluded to this on several posts but the "We Were Made for Each Other" alternate take is a really good song and I wouldn't necessarily say that about the one on original vinyl. With that said, since my favorite musician is Nez, I still find it fascinating that every article and perception is that it was Mike that created all the hassles and negative situations through the years. Only many on this board know that it has been pretty spread around among the four through out the band's formation (especially Davy).

Hep Alien and DanofDune like this.
  6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

So far this Globe story is still the only place where the possibility of a Christmas album has been mentioned, no update or confirmation anywhere. Either it's a false alarm or they're keeping it a real secret...Got to be the former if nothing gets unveiled within two weeks or so, though.

DanofDune likes this.
  7. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I agree. If they want to get a Christmas/holiday album released yet in 2018, they better get moving.

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I guess where we differ is that I think it would be a better album with the dead guy. I'm not a huge Davy fan, and like most fans I dislike a lot of his musical excesses over the years. But in the right context I like his voice, and I think having all four of them on a record makes for a more legitimate Monkees experience than three or less. Clearly, you dislike his work a LOT more than me. I'm curious... in a hypothetical situation where it was Mike that was deceased instead of Davy, would you also be opposed to Mike being included posthumously on a Monkees album?

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  9. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Christmas albums are the kiss of death for most artists. On the other hand, there’s not much for them to do at this point. They had a life-long career from a two-season show.

D-rock, Boognish and DanofDune like this.
  10. DanofDune

DanofDune Forum Resident

Great question! I guess if it was Mike who had passed, I would also be critical of an inclusion of his work on the album for the sake of "completion." A perfect example of a Mike-less Monkees album already exists, Pool It, which I do not own on any format. At the time, even though all four were alive, no one thought that it was acceptable to drop in a 1960's unreleased Mike track to "round out the album." Death might be different, but, at the end of the day, I just don't like adding artists or performers vocals if they never agreed to be part of the project.

I think I would actually be more opposed to Mike being included because he has always been critical of the Monkees project, and works within its confines to his own ends (which I respect, even though its frustrating). Mike would have a definite opinion of how to work in the Monkees, that insertion of his music without his ok would be disrespectful. Since Davy basically only had the Monkees, and a long histories of state fair shows to prove it, maybe we could say he would be more ok with being inserted into new Monkees work?

Maybe if the remaining Monkees sang a well loved iteration of the missing individual's work, ie: the way they handled Mike's songs in the 80's and 2011 and later Daydream Believer in 2013 - 2016, that would be more tasteful?

And believe me, I do not want to disparage Davy's work in the Monkees, pre 1970, I think he is a VITAL part of the group and does some GREAT work. He even makes a great showing on Justus (You & I is a modern Monkees classic). I just think he lost track of what he was capable of in 1970, and spent the last few decades of his life trying to recapture something that had passed and became a rather bitter force within the group and within his career.

He was his own worst enemy, and in a lot of ways, there is some sadness to that. There is a great interview with him in 1970 where he is walking with his dog, and you can tell how much he wants to be "an artist" and do big huge things in the entertainment industry. Then he worked on a terrible album with Bell... and never released an actually professionally recorded album again that didn't have Monkees written on it (Or DJBH).

jeremylr, agundy and Boognish like this.
  11. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I feel that way about Free as a Bird and Real Love.

12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Nah, man. His songs were the best on both reunion albums, particularly Justus. Ok...save for Rico...But you have some valid points about the conflicts. Even so, Jones carried the live Monkees torch much more than any of them and was (much of the time) personable to fans. I say that as THE Nezhead.

D-rock, MarkTheShark, Chuckee and 3 others like this.
  13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I can agree with this.

DanofDune likes this.
  14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

And a lot of work in the studio on stage.

DanofDune likes this.
  15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

+1

D-rock and j_rocker like this.
  16. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I bet a blu-ray of either Monkees 2012-2018 or FNB would sell more than an X-mas album. Anyone see that FNB clip on Videoranch's youtube site? Someone def had a professional camera going during the show.

D-rock, j_rocker and agundy like this.
  17. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

If I were to make a list of my favorite Monkees songs spanning 1966-2016, I could count the number of Davy songs I genuinely like with two hands.
    While Davy had his purpose within the band, and sung on some downright great songs, you would not have seen a cartoon version of Mike or Peter on the New Scooby Doo Movies back in the 70s.
    Davy, while he is a good actor in the show and elsewhere, doesn't personally have enough appeal to me to warrant him being necessary on this new album. "Love to Love" was a pleasant surprise, in that I was impressed in how the vintage vocal blended well with newly recorded music. I don't think that novelty would work twice.

DanofDune likes this.
  18. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

Got to think we'll have the "official" news on this release within the next day or so. I believe many of these Christmas tracks have been in the can since at least this time last year. Hopefully the "Good Times" production team is all "back in place" for this one... If so, I think we're in for something memorable.

Tord, Boognish and jfmlaugh like this.
  19. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazon has something listed as The Monkees Christmas Party...no other details available though.

Tord, Boognish and Galley like this.
  20. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

October 12 from Rhino!

Tord, Boognish and jfmlaugh like this.
  21. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure if this is accurate, but could be some details...

The Monkees - Christmas Party | Mascom prodavnica - CD, LP, VINYL, DVD

The first Christmas edition of the Monkees group . This collection includes standard hits such as "The Christmas Song", "Silver Bells", "Wonderful Christmastime" and the new song "What Would Santa Do?" .

In addition to the album, new songs can also be found written by Rivers Cuomo (Weezer), Andy Partridge (XTC), and Peter Buck (REM).

Possible Track list includes (Translated)....

1. UNWRAP YOU FOR CHRISTMAS

2. WHAT WOULD SANTA DO

3. MELE KALIKIMAKA

4. HOUSE OF BROKEN GINGERBREAD

5. THE CHRISTMAS SONG

6. CHRISTMAS PARTY

7. JESUS CHRIST

8. I WANT IT CAN CHRISTMAS EVERY DAY

9. SILVER BELLS

10. WONDERFUL CHRISTMASTIME

11. SNOWFALL

12. ANGELS WE HAVE HEARD ON HIGH

13. MERRY CHRISTMAS, BABY

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  22. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Great! Hope Micky does a fantastic "Merry Christmas, Baby"

[​IMG]

D-rock, Sammy Banderas, Tord and 3 others like this.
  23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Well that cover shows all four guys, so...

D-rock likes this.
  24. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Okay, I'm excited now. I think this is going to be cool

Sammy Banderas, Boognish and dangiedr like this.
  25. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Well, this is either going to be a 'Bottom of the barrel' idea or a 'Now The Monkees have conquered every aspect of media' project. I'm hoping for the latter. While I personally do not like pop Christmas music, this type of music can still be quality (even if I don't like it), so I hope it's strong (for what it is).

Sammy Banderas, Boognish and dangiedr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.