Monkees New Christmas Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jfmlaugh, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Macca Cover?

Boognish likes this.
  2. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Ugh.

After the triumph of Good Times! this sure seems anticlimactic. Seriously underwhelming, at the very least. Of course, I generally despise Xmas music, so I guess that’s part of it.

Just seems like a easy cash grab, as opposed to the unexpected delight of Good Times! I’d rather the guys either stopped there, since it’s great album to go out on, or else maybe one more new, original album if they have material as strong as what was on GT! Now I hope that happens since I feel like a holiday album is lame way to end things.

But, hey, if others are excited about this that’s great. Maybe this will be better that I think (even if I don’t plan to check it out), and if it brings others joy this season so be it. I guess that’s the point, right?

D-rock, j_rocker, marmalade and 4 others like this.
  3. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I do think this Christmas Party will help avoid the inevitable comparison to Good Times! If it was a true non holiday effort, I can hear people saying....they followed up Good Times with this?!?!??!....They should have stopped at Good Times!....

So...I'm excited by this, but certainly do hope that this is not their last. I would love a Monkees album to feature at least one Mike vocal with Pete Finney's magical steel guitar effort.

I understand why you don't want this Christmas album, but hopefully it sets up one more album.

4. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

5. I have the unofficial Monkees Christmas album and I like it. I think the official one could be good or perhaps not, who knows? Good Times was surprisingly excellent to me.

6. FredV

FredV Senior Member

7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I love how everything people aren't interested in becomes a "cash grab."
    Nearly every thread on this forum is consumed in negativity and gripes.

8. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

9. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Count me in! I will be preordering ASAP. Adam Schlesinger did a great job with Good Times!, so that is a plus add Cuomo, Partridge and some R.E.M. influence how can you go wrong.? Also the Minus 5 songs about the Monkees are great if you have never heard them. "Michael Nesmith" and "Micky was a Cool Drummer" are musts to listen as is the one about Boyce and Hart.
    Micky has recorded full LP's of lullaby's, full recordings of Carol King songs, so a Christmas theme would seem to be another great avenue for his vocals.
    My skepticism (what little there was) has been replaced by full blown optimism. I think this will be a great record.

10. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

The Minus 5 and the Monkees? I've been wishing for years the Monkees would record a Scott McCaughey song. I guess I'm in, damnit.

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

By all appearances he had to be talked into Good Times as well.

12. DigitalDave74

DigitalDave74 Forum Resident

They are putting off the announcement as to not interfere with the hype of the big White Album box.

13. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

John Hughes of Rhino just said on Facebok that the Target exclusive CD will have "Riu Chiu" and "Christmas is My Time of Year" as the bonus tracks and comes out Oct. 19th, a week later then the other versions.

14. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

Great news for me, a surprise and delight that there is more Monkees music to add to my collection. The guys know what they're doing and they know what their fans want. They know people don't want an Xmas Pool It, they want an Xmas Good Times and if this album is only half as good as that I'll be happy.

monkeetrade and Brian Mc like this.
  15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Sammy Banderas, Tord and Hep Alien like this.
  17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

jfmlaugh likes this.
  18. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

Sammy Banderas and Hep Alien like this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

yellowballoon likes this.
  20. Guy Smiley

Yes, because any opinion not matching yours is not acceptable here, and therefore subject to scorn. So, if that’s the case, how are you any different from what you’re accusing me of?

Anyhow, I said it “seems like a cash grab,” since that’s what (IMO) that’s what Xmas albums tend to be. At least nowadays, when everyone and their dog seems to put one out. For most such albums, it’ll be songs you’ve heard before, ad nauseum, rarely adding anything to those tired old chestnuts. Maybe this one will be different? Dunno. Maybe.

This year, along with The Monkees, Clapton’s doing a Xmas album for some reason, and even William Shatner is deciding to “grace” us with one. I’m sure there are dozens more. So, yeah, it CAN seem like an easy cash grab, because it often is. But do I know the motivation behind this (Apart from Rhino finding another way to make some $ off the Monkees, that is)? No, I don’t. But your beloved Nez apparently wasn’t hot on the idea, at least not at first, so I think finding it dubious is understandable.

Regardless, I made a point of saying that It’s fine of others are excited about this. Again, anything that brings a little more joy into this world right now is a good thing. So, enjoy! It’s fine. Great, in fact. I’m just not interested, and I hope this isn’t their final effort is all.

Finding out Peter Buck & Co. are involved is cool, but I wish it were for an all new album of (non-holiday) originals more or less in the vein of Good Times! Hey, maybe this is a prelude to that, and maybe 2019 brings us that rumored Good Times! followup that will include Minus 5, Difford & Tillbrook, more Andy Partridge, etc. I hope that happens, and I hope Mike, Micky & Peter are in good enough health and spirits to make it happen (And a tour that’s more about the music — like the M&M shows? - too).

So, is that good enough for you? Pretty sure if we all agreed on everything, all the time, there’d be very little to discuss.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    DanofDune, Boognish and mrbobdobalina like this.
  21. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Listening to the Zilch Podcast has made me really excited for this release. The album wasn't finished in time for a vinyl pressing but will be happening next year.

jfmlaugh and Hep Alien like this.
  22. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The version of Riu Chiu comes directly from the tv show performance fyi.

IronWaffle, Tord, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I was wrong on this, but great to hear he gets the leadoff track and single.

PhoffiFozz and Hep Alien like this.
  24. Guy Smiley

That’s cool, and I hope you love it. Thanks for actually discussing rather than attacking, and making some salient points.
    Who knows... As we get closer to December 25 maybe I’ll sample a few tracks at Amazon and snag one or two if something really stands out?

I’ve occasionally though about making a CD/playlist of holiday songs I actually like (or don’t hate, at least) just to play in the car while traveling, or at home, when my wife insists on playing such music. I can never bring myself to actually bother, but maybe this will be the year. We’ll see.

jfmlaugh likes this.
  25. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

Nice to see Mr. Schneider made it onto the cover. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.