Monkees Record Store Day exclusives 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDistheone, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

they must have used the stereo master used on the

BB&M deluxe set. It has the same issue.

2. PiscesKev101

PiscesKev101 Forum Resident

You are correct! I don't know why I never noticed that before. Why on earth did they give this project to John Hughes? Are the UK 180 gram black vinyl editions all the same? I also wonder what mix will be on this blue vinyl debut album due out this month!

3. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Ok I know this what is your point?

4. BobGilly

BobGilly Active Member

Thanks to all , despite some of the naysayers , I really enjoyed how these sound. I purchased a ton of things on RSD , these are the best sounding and my most enjoyable buy.

williamjoel, Mazzy and Smartin62 like this.
  5. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Head tonight. Once again, we have centered bass, narrowing the stereo spectrum a bit.

I compared

1. Original Colgems issue
    2. 80's Rhino
    3. 2011 Rhino (Chris Bellman cut)
    4. 2016 RSD Box

The original Colgems issue was noisy and again strident in the upper mids. The 80's Rhino issue had a treble boost and was possibly compressed a bit more, the 2011 Chris Bellman cut had nice smooth bass and clean highs, and it's the one I like best. I don't know what Sandoval meant by "better balanced" for this issue, and GreenGringo says "As We Go Along" is a different mix, but I don't hear either - perhaps someone can point me to the differences?

On the earlier LP's the centered bass, while narrowing the stereo spectrum, seemed to provide a nice foundation. For this LP, it just wasn't necessary, and losing the stereo spread was more noticeable. I still liked it second best, however. Perhaps if my Colgems issue was stone mint it may have fared better, but again, this is not an easy LP to find a mint original copy of.

John Bliss likes this.
  6. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Nice catch! Yes I definitely hear it. Not there on any other vinyl version I have - original, 80's Rhino, Japanese Arista or gold vinyl Sundazed.

7. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Quite simply, because you said "I don't think it has anything to do with not having the master at the time."

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just saying that it's incredibly strange for an album collection to use eight original album masters (or modern recreations of such) and one master that was compiled thirty years ago when they did not have masters for many of the tracks. One could try to pass that off as intentional, and whether it was or wasn't, it makes zero sense.

8. yellowballoon

Hughes said intentional, I have no reason not to believe him. Neither of us have any first hand knowledge of the projects or the master tapes themselves. Other then a hobby of speculation, any real opinion or accusations based on this knowledge would be amateur at best. Sitting at home with a record collection doesn't make anyone an expert on real life situations and business deals that we have no part of.

That's my point...

BeatleStair likes this.
  9. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

I love the little fantasy world that you live in, where tangible evidence and knowledge of past releases means absolutely nothing, and record labels/producers never lie or bs.

10. yellowballoon

Dude get off your high horse. Chill it's The Monkees. Be nice

11. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Just curious. In your opinion, what are the best sounding Monkees pressings of all of their albums? If you consider the original Colgems tops. I sure hope you have beautiful examples to enjoy listening to. It's a very difficult and costly undertaking in acquiring all of them in stellar condition IME. That said.......for someone that doesn't have any Monkees vinyl, this 50th RSD vinyl box set might be the best and most affordable option.......that is until a AAA QRP pressed set is ever released......which could never happen.

John Bliss and yellowballoon like this.
  12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

@GreenGringo needs to work on his/her delivery a bit, to be sure, but the points being raised by him/her are not invalid. I am also seeing a lot of knee-jerk defensiveness rather than a well-considered discussion.

I have no horse in this race, having not purchased this new set, but I am distressed to read that one song was accidentally left off, incorrect mixes and a combination of mono and stereo were utilized, one album was cut from an inferior '80s master, and the rest was mastered from the same digital masters as the deluxe edition CDs (which I do not like to begin with).

If Rhino had truly given this catalog the gold star treatment - tasteful analog mastering using the correct source tapes, for starters - I would have purchased this. I have no need for LPs cut from CD masters.

As an aside, clean copies of the original Colgems pressings sound terrific on a good system. They have a wonderfully tube-y presentation.

semidetached likes this.
  13. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

yellowballoon, D-rock and George C. like this.
  14. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

yellowballoon likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

16. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Anyone have an update on the replacement album from the Dr? I sent email with photo and had a pleasent response a few weeks ago. Any new news?

D-rock likes this.
  17. yellowballoon

Give it a while. It takes time to press up vinyl on the spot when other projects are backed up for months.

Alofter likes this.
  18. Just found a box copy yesterday. Just started listening

Moved this first one from the new Monkees record thread. More appropriate here.

First impression as I listen :

The Monkees : Orange

It's got an atmosphere that seems different. Quiet clean pressing but I think I prefer the one from the recent mono box better. A bit too brittle but nice. I probably should move this over to that thread before the fire reignites.
    It's got an atmosphere that seems different. Quiet clean pressing but I think I prefer the one from the recent mono box better. A bit too brittle but nice. I probably should move this over to that thread before the fire reignites.

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Orange?

20. The LPs in this set are colored. I'm into yellow now.

21. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Orange County, isn't that near you, Chacha?

chacha and Mazzy like this.
  22. No he's north in Marin county near San Francisco

Orange you glad I told you that. :tiphat:

latheofheaven, Millington and chacha like this.
  23. chacha

I'm in Marin just north of SF where I grew up, as did Mazzy.

Millington likes this.
  24. Cha chia and I met and worked at a San Francisco record store together in 1973.

latheofheaven, Millington and chacha like this.
  25. chacha

So they don't have the original cover design? Are they just different color jackets?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.